Guys are you actually intimidated by a woman with great career?

Would u rather date a successful woman or someone who's not as successful as you are? Why?

So, I just read it in a study that guys don't prefer women who are very successful, career wise, and it kind of didn't go down very well with me since I'm very ambitious and would love to have a nice position one day.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most men are, but a sizeable minority (I'm one of them) prefers it or doesn't mind. These women tend to be their own worst enemy though: they'll often have impossibly high standards (example: if they make 200k a year they'll only want guys who make at least 200k a year and a guy who's otherwise perfect for them will be rejected for "only" making 150k a year, then they complain about being single and no "good" guys liking them) or choose to be with some placeholder guy they can boss around (and then other guys see she's taken so they won't make a move).

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, they are. They are when it comes to me, anyway. I think it's the specific career, though. I tell guys I have a career and they're all 'Oh, awesome! What do you do?' Then I tell them I'm a teacher and I get one of two reactions:

1. Niiiiiiiiiiice, I've always had a teacher fetish

2. Oh, I work in a factory, I'm sure I'm not good enough, let's just be friends.

It's quite aggravating.

• Women tend to want guys that have a higher paying job than them, men know this so we don't really put in the effort to wow someone we know is judging us.

• So you would marry a guy based on his job title then. Because are you really gonna marry someone one and not bring up what you think he should be doing with his life?

What you girls don't seem to understand is that some people have goals in life and at the core of that is the pursuit of happiness. So me being with someone that would "prefer" that I have a different job wouldn't make happy.

I work Monday to Friday 7-3 everyday but if I did do long hauls to make more money I would hope that my wife would appreciate that I'm trying to make a better life for her instead of wanting me to make less so she can see me more often.

• @cchris989 Do you know what reading comprehension is? You're making stuff up now because I never said that I would marry a guy based on his job title. If you can't have an intelligent conversation, then don't talk to me please.

What Guys Said 24

• I don't know why any guy would not like a successful woman, other than he's afraid of being immasculated, but manhood is not all about dominating, in spite of stupid stereotypes.

For example, why would you want a "dumb blonde*" when you can have an intelligent one?

*sorry, this is a stereotype too, but I'm using it to make the point.

The ones who take care of themselves physically tend to be more intelligent anyway, with the odd exceptions. They plan everything in their lives, often in increments of as little as 15 minutes. Stay away from one that extreme, as she doesn't have time for anything but herself basically. However, guys might want to look for the women who use day planners more, they tend to have been top of their class in school or college, and they tend to be healthy anyway.

• I saw an episode of "Dark Matters" where the military initially wouldn't accept the invention of rotating frequency modulation for missile and torpedo guidance, simply because it was invented by a woman, Hedy Lamarr, who was beautiful. The men in charge of making the decisions thought she must not know what she was talking about, because she was beautiful. This invention prevents enemy ships and submarines from being able to disrupt or steal control of the torpedo. Normal encryption is too easy to break with relatively simplistic commands, but when you have encryption and rotating frequency, it is much harder to break.

Anyway, so the men couldn't believe she was smart enough to know what she was doing, so they initially didn't want anything to do with her.

Stereotypes ruin lives, and very nearly delayed one of the most important remote communications advances. Suppose nobody ever believed her... you wouldn't have cable internet or satellite telephone communication either.

• This applies here too.
    thechive.files.wordpress.com/.../...-photos-27.jpg

Real men like strong women with a great career, only a pussy would feel intimidated.

• If they worked hard to get that career then, I wouldn't be intimidated at all. They have my respect to the max. However, if they got that great career just by looking good, then I'd feel a little intimidated. I'd love to date a successful woman, or even one that might be a little less than I. ^^

• I'd actually like a girl who makes more money than me as long as she isn't condescending about it.

I guess it also matters how she got her money. Like if she earned it by stripping, porn, or nude modeling then that would probably turn me off.

• Guys don't care about a woman's career as long as they are physically attractive.

• No but cautious because of an unfair generalization.

While there is nothing wrong with a woman having a career in itself, I find that the vast majority of women who have them are the selfish sorts who would put it before their family and/or be unwilling to be a team player which is what a healthy marriage is about.

So right off the bat, hearing that a woman has a career would raise alarms for me in the same way that unemployment does for women.

• All the more good if she is a high flyer in her career, I am totally ccol and supportive of that and her being more successful than me. (:

But she better know her priorities, me and not her job above me. Make time for me otherwise, she can go marry her workdesk.

• Women with careers don't impress me. It's about her character, values, and what she has to offer as a person. Career women seem to think a guy must be intimidated by them just because he's not interested in her, but that's what she needs to think to make herself feel better about it. I need more than that in a woman to really find valuable and date-worthy.

• I don't really care just as long as she doesn't secretly or not so secretly look down on me for being less successful than her.

• Nope, never been intimidated.
    Success and ambition is an attractive trait.

• no stop thinking this. why would you think we want women to be less than us? thats not true its just a load of bullshit. let these studies not stop you from being ambitious and becoming great.

• It all comes down to the attitude and energy you bring with it. Ask yourself this. Do you think a guy would have a problem if a woman was really successful if she was also honest, loyal, caring, fun to be around, open minded, sexy and down to earth?

Many confuse arrogance with confidence and ambition with ego.

• Successful! PLEASE!

• no, im not

• I could not care less what a person does.

• If she has a strong career that's great as long as it doesn't put me on the back burner?

• Yes I'd date her if she was cute and likeable. Plus, I'd get me some sweet dough too if we wind up getting married XD

• I'll be honest yes if she is a little more successful than i am then yes i am intimidated by her but i would not out reject her

• I'm not as far as I can tell.

• not unless her career is in the porn industry

• I'm still old fashioned (much like the girls nowadays that still don't inititate a conversation with a guy they like, because they think it's still the 18th century and that us guys should approach them first) and the only thing that I would be, as you write "intimidated by" is if my monthly paycheck had a lower figure on it than hers; since I consider myself the head of the family and the guy that's supposed to be the breadwinner

• That's just something women tell themselves to make them feel better about being single.

Guys don't care and if anything prefer somebody who is successful. Typically, it's women who won't date down and that's why guys don't actively pursue those women. Most women date up financially wise and don't give other men a chance.

• i will keep it simple
    more successful than me no thanks.
    less successful than me no thanks.
    about the same yes thanks.

• That depends entirely on witch one is harder on my pocket and expects me to do more work.
    ie with miss success do i have to match her lifestyle gifts etc

and with miss not so successful do I have to cover her half of the rent and her food if we move in together.

Basically if I was lucky enough to be choosing between 2 girls that liked me i'd be thinking.
    Is she horny and what does and might she do in bed, do we get on, is she hot, is this going to be expensive or negatively affect my career, does she have a crazy ex or unwelcoming and threatening family members?
    So it would depend how her earning more affected those things.

What Girls Said 1

• Of course guys like successful women, and I don't think they're intimidated by it. That study you read is total bullshit.