Should I be cautious about people who do not use proper grammar and spelling in online dating websites?

I don't know if it's just me or if this is just the norm of texting nowadays, but I can never seem to receive messages that are written with proper grammar and spelling by users, in online dating websites. Yet, these are people who claim to be professional, college-educated people such as cops, teachers, even graduate students. I'm a college student myself and I know that none of these people would have ever been able to graduate if they wrote like that in their assignments or e-mails to their professors. Should I take this as a red flag and assume that these are just fake people? Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• no wats rong with dat? Lol, I wouldn't necessarily think that they were lying if they had poor grammar/spelling, but it's definitely a major turn off. It was acceptable back when phones weren't easy for texting but now it's easy so there's not really any excuse. It really depends on the person too, it's usually easier to gauge their intelligence just by talking to someone, some people.. myself included deliberately don't use proper grammar or spelling when messaging.. Don't ask me why.

• I get that, but these are people who claim to be cops, teachers, etc... and can't even tell the difference between you're/your or there/they're/and their. smh.

• True, it depends what you're on. I mean some of these things could be scams coming from backward countries where they pretend to be someone in hopes you'll send them money. You're right in that regard. Best to ignore anyone who is illiterate!

• It's from match. com where you'd think that they're being legitimate because they pay for a subscription. But, now I'm not so sure...

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand your issue. The way I look at it, communicating on these websites is similar to applying for a job. The person messaging is interested in knowing more about you and basically selling an idea that he's worth meeting. So when it comes to grammar and spelling, I'm okay with a few typos here and there but when I read something that sounds like it came right off of an old flip phone, it's a touch off putting. It makes me wonder am I really talking to a 30 year old or a 13 year old? I don't expect perfection, but at least have the decency to write like an adult.

For your situation, I can't really tell you because I'm obviously not reading the messages. For me, I'd see it as a yellow flag. But I've communicated with men who own bachelor's degrees that didn't use proper grammar and punctuation in their emails but they turned out to be perfectly normal in person. And I've met with guys that sounded normal in their emails but were scary in person. It's a toss up really. Just note it and proceed with caution.

• Yeah, it's not really the punctuation. It's the incorrect usage of words like your/you're, instead of saying "hun", they say "hon", instead of saying "how have you been?", they'll say "how u been?" It makes me wonder whether this person is just uneducated or just too lazy to write like an adult. Especially, if you're trying to make a good impression on somebody, you know? It's a real turn off and I can't seem to find any articulate guys worth meeting -__-

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 6

• i dont tnki uyo souldf

• Oh sure, make people who actually have issues with grammar feel worse about themselves. -_-

• You sound like someone who would make fun of people who have a learning disorder. Which is why they have issues using your/you're and there/their/they're. I bet you just think people like that are extremely stupid compared to you. If that's the case, you're a horrible person.

• True, the likelihood of that is low. For me if it's just things like too/to, there/their/they're, your/you're, I screw up on them often due to being confused. Though I've gotten better with you're/your but the rest I still mix up at lot. :'(

• Writing skills get better over time, don't worry about it.

• If they really have that grade, the only excuse can be that they are non-native English speakers. Otherwise there is a real problem with them.

• You need to check out the anti scammers website. It has all the red flags. Bad grammar is one of them.

• Like not being able to tell the difference between your/you're or completely broken English?

• Yes... just look online for those websites.

• lmfao das #me

• I'd assume that professional people will be more cautious about their grammar and typos. They aren't as careless. So if they make a lot then yes, it's a red flag.

It's difficult to determine how genuine people are online. So you certainly need to look out for signs , so you aren't played and taken for a fool

I'd be suspicious of a person who stated they were a professional but made a lot of grammar errors and typos.