After being in love, who moves on faster, men or women?

After being in love, who moves on faster, men or women? I think women.

• Guys
  • Girls

Most Helpful Guy

• i think in some ways it can be easier for women because a bit part of getting over someone is validation that you are still worthwhile to the objects you desire. and since women are more likely to be approached by men it can go a long way in re-affirming their self worth after a break up

• yep spot on. Also men don't want to look like bitches after a break up so you usually see us reaching for kleenex boxes and chocolate. It's not fair, but it's reality.

Many of us also have "delayed reactions" where we are at first relieved but later depressed.

• correction, usually don't see us...

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 49

• I've consoled a lot of people with broken hearts in my life, both men and women, and also suffered my own devastating one with a fiance.

I haven't really noticed any difference between the two genders. When they love someone and put so much work into a commitment and build dreams of being together forever, the heartbreak that follows tends to be devastating regardless of whether you're male or female.

Talking to these troubled people, they use the same kind of language, same kind of words, have the same kind of feelings of emptiness, detachment from the world, depression, etc. I never found one gender to be particularly different from the other.

A difference I think for women is that broken hearts do breed desperation in both genders. A desperate woman might get male attention pretty easily, albeit not the type she desires. A desperate man generally is going to repel women away from him, so a brokenhearted man might further fuel his own desperation by the lack of female attention he receives during that period.

• The person who is least invested is usually the one to give less a fuck posr break up.

• Usually it's men because men chase women. Men are more invested because a man usually has to ask a lot of girls he likes out before one says yes so the one who does give him a chance he comes heavily invested in her. While for girls, he's just a guy she chose for her boyfriend. She can have another person like him in a minute.

The only instance this is not the case is when the woman realizes the guy is a total catch and it's very rare to replace him for someone else.

• @BubbleBoy69 That makes quite a lot of sense. On the flip side there are lots of guys who might kind of shrug off a break up and move on quickly -- in terms of numbers I don't necessarily see fewer girls with broken-hearts who have a terrible time going on in my limited experience.

• I had a life insurance salesman tell me it takes women about two years after the loss of her husband to start dating whereas it takes men around a year. It has to do with how women are more guided by their emotions than men so they hang onto the love longer than us logical males do.

• I think guys initially move on quicker as we aren't as good with emotions as girls are, so tend to blank it out a bit. However as time goes on I think men begin to think about it more and women less.

• Men fall harder for women from what I've seen. Women can just move onto the next guy easily. there's always plenty out there. Men dont have that luxury unless they look like brad pitt or are loaded. I've seen some very cold, distant women who just sneer at a guy with his heart in his hands. I've seen women totally distraught over losing a guy. I honestly think it doesn't matter what you are guy or girl. Men and women are dofferent versions of the same thing obviously. We're not totally alien to each other or we'd never attract each other. Its just down to the person. You meet ice cold men and women and likewise you meet warm and emotional men and women

• I'm not so sure it's true that women have it so easy. I'm having a hard time finding a quality guy ( or hell, ANY guy) who wants to date me. I have a great job and am a good person and definitely not unattractive. Perhaps it's the age I'm at where a lot of guys are already with someone.

It just always looks to me like guys move on quicker but I've seen some women who do as well. Guess it just depends on the person?

• @Tenseven id love another woman as well. Its a nightmare getting somebody. I get hit on by kids. Last wkend a drunk girl asked if she could come home with me. She was about 18 but im old enough to be her dad so i says no. Women i am interested in are married or gone off men to conventrate on the kids. I slept with a woman a few months back and her opener was im not looking for a relationship my boy is my world and there's no room for anybody else. Im a man so im saying okay no problem, you know best. Deep down your thinking, nobody told me it was this hard to pull when your older. Maybe i need to look further afield

• Men should, at least in theory, as they have higher testosterone and less estrogen than women, which makes them less emotional. Sadly these days most men aren't much of a man and behave like little emotional girls.

• It depends all on the personality of the person and how hard the serotonin, dopamine addiction hit them.

• It could go either way.

• I've never been in love, but in all my breakups, I moved on in less than 1 week, unlike the girls. Same with my guy friends.
    So I voted for guys.

• Women take it harder, but move on faster because they tend to have better support systems in place then men, who are expected to just deal with the emotions on their own.

• Seriously, guys recover faster.

More than likely while she is breaking up with him at the restaurant he is already checking out the waitresses and the other women in the joint.

• It depends on the quality of relationship you had. If a guy I had dated did that, he didn't care at all ever in the first place.

• @mpwilke oh for sure, but guys feelings tend to rebound more quickly than girls. Girls need time to work though things and slowly realize and remove the guy from the picture.

Guys tend to fill the void even though they are hurting. It is just two different ways of healing.

I am not saying the guy approach is a method... that's just the way it is for most men, bury their feelings and try to move on. Look at the amount of disgruntled guys on here and that is pretty much a testament!

It took me a good year and 2 months for me to be comfortable with not only women but myself again after my marriage ended.

• I generally don't hear about guys still thinking on an ended relationship, and even in Hollywood it's mostly women who write songs about having "moved on," but if you're writing about it then you haven't really moved on cuz you're still thinking on it.

Guys can disengage a lot easier I think. I know for me, it can actually be a relief when you're over it. Women I think feel that something was lost or something.

• Never been in love before and to me its all a load of crap anyway, love only exists if your tall, model looking and making $$. Women love men conditionally. Sorry if I sound cynical, I'm not just more of a realist who does not buy in to this romantic rubbish. You should reword your question to "after being in a relationship" which makes more sense.

• I was just watching a Subway ad where the guy's like "Hey I need something to help me get over my girlfriend leaving me" and the girl coincidentally steps in and says "I need something to celebrate with". Suffice it to say, girls move on faster. They're usually with a new guy within a week or two.

• I may sound hard & cynical , but have very quickly moved on , often the next day. What's the use of pining for something / someone that's now gone from your life , like it or not , you have to move on. The advantage women have is that they can very easily get a " replacement " man. The reverse is the polar opposite , the average woman is not too keen on the average man , most men are single for months , often years , between relationships.

• Some ladies are too! I don't find it easy at all to find a normal, decent man there days. Seems like they all just want to hook up and bail. :(

• *these days^

• @Tenseven A lot of men in our sort of age group have been through horrible relationships / nightmare divorces , people of both genders often have a lot of baggage , most 40 something single women I know , want nothing to do with men , so many men have simply given up & embraced singlehood permanently , that's me too , as no woman wants a 45 yr old single dad , don't blame them at all !! I am still waiting for the decree nisi , I got rid of my soon to be ex wife.

• depends who finishes the relationship. if i finish it i am already moved on before i finish it lol.

• Men are more likely to no e on BEFORE a breakup. Lol
    So, men

• Guys. The girl who broke my heart last year still thinks about me, tries to be where I am, is constantly asking about me. I moved on about a month after we broke up.

• It's women and this has been scientifically shown.

• You're deluded. Women only need to be fuck once by one guy way out of their league, and they will remember it forever.

• It's not about gender but what side of the breakup you're in. If you left them then you are already have way to moving on.

• Definitely girls. It's been 4 months and I'm still heartbroken

• wasn't love but i was infatuated w/ her, so after i got rejected i felt like shit for 2 weeks or so and then i just distracted myself and i got over it after that

• Guys at first been I think then it hits us later on.

• Girls by far.

• I move on the fastest! I can start the next day like nothing happened >:)

• Guys never really move on, if they were truly in love with the girl

• Who over falls out of love first

• women. why? i reckon it's cuz time flies and they want to find that partner asap.

• All things considered, it's the women.

• i think women move on faster

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 32

• This is kinda silly... It depends on the person, not their gender. But overall, probably guys I guess?

• This is how a breakup works
    Guys:
    Day1- so happy we're single
    Day2- it's getting boring
    Day3- I miss my girlfriend, I need her back😭

Girls:
    Day1- I miss him I need him back
    Day2- you're beautiful and independent don't need him
    Day3- single and ready to mingle

• Women process things better, usually unless they dint lol but in general id say Women. Men definitely talk like they do but they tend to bring all sorts of baggage and resentment and mis test and bullshit to the next relationship bc they never fully accepted what happened.. they also look for rebounds more often which a;so intruders with processing. it feels better bc it looks good bu it doesn't allow you time to process and heal.

of course if she or he didn't care in the first place its not such a big deal. im referring to people who cared.

• Depends who Falls out of love first... men tend to move on quicker but eventually it tails off as they get older and they will spend a lot of time regretting though they won't admit it they will...

women take longer they rationalise every part of the relationship wondering if it could work... but they move on and don't look back

• I moved on entirely after 2 weeks. I still think guys move on faster...

• None, it's actually not about the sex but it's actually basing on the person and how they handle differ situations. Love is love and if it was real it will take awhile to heal so therefore at some point in time it hurts everyone maybe not as much as it would take a huge impact on the person sitting next to you but there is no moving on "faster" if the love was real. Even though if you heal there is always a special place either in the mind or heart for someone you love or loved. It''s a step by step process and maybe it may take one minute ahead till someone moves on and the other may be in a process of reaching that stage but there is no race on what takes a toll on us. We all fail some way whether one crosses the finish line of getting over someone or not.

• Well personally, I definitely moved on faster. I'd say it's personal.

• neither!

• Personally I believe we women do.

• It takes guys longer to process the breakup so I guess in the grand scheme of things, girls move on faster.

• It depends on who I was with. If I was truly in love and it was a great partnership, I move on very slowly. I dwell on it for months.

Now if I had somehow lost attraction for them or they were a real jerk, it's very easy to move on. I've mostly been with good guys (which is great) which means I've suffered a loooot of heartbreak.

Guys assume women have an easier time finding someone else but I'm finding that that is not always the case...

• I think it's just whoever ends it

• i think it depends on the person... its hard to tell tho

• I think men do

• How funny just saw the chart most girls think that guys move on quicker and most guys think girls move on quicker

• Guys. Now let me explain why. to me women fall into infatuation much faster and confuse infatuation with love. moving on its women, generally her girls take her out to get drunk and laid or she just wallows in pitty for a week and gets over it.

• I think guys act like they don't care then come back after a month, realising what they've lost. Women, on the other hand, show their emotions straight away and get over it gradually, therefore healing faster.

• I'd say women, at least from my experiences. I've seen so many cases.

• i move on the minute it's over. And i don't go through that depression and over eating phase that a lot of people apparently go through. I"m not heartless, i just know what's worth spending my grief on.

• In my experience, it's always the guys who find it easy to move on, while the girls tend to be stuck on that same guys for a long time.

• Guys. By a looooooooooong shot.

• Depends on situation but I think men move on faster

• I think it depends solely on the person, not their gender. Everyone is different.

• Women. Because we don't fall in love as hard. Probably biological.

• I got out of a relationship a little over a month ago but he's not seeing anyone and nor am I.

• I say men because men go straight for the next girl for sex. Women have to get over a man. We spend time and dedication to our guy but when the break up comes we have to analyze it all. Also depends on how much we felt for the guy.

• Guys duh, thats retarded to think girls do.

• After getting dumped, I think us girls move on faster because we have more social support. Guys would hold it in too much.

• In my opinion and experience, while still in a relationship, long term, or married, men lose feelings faster than women. While getting out of a relationship, women move on faster than men.

• Girls do

• More from Girls
    2