How can I reject a guys dating proposal with the least amount of pain?

Is it possible to still be friends after saying no?

Most Helpful Guy

• "I wish I could say yes because you are a wonderful guy but my instincts say we're not a good match, and I never go against my instincts. I hope you aren't angry because I'd really like to have you as a friend. . . and I hope that doesn't sound too dorky, but it really is how I feel."

Most Helpful Girl

• Slap him with a fish

• That's terrible. If I were him I'd yank the fish out of your hands, and inform you that it's no longer yours as you irresponsibly wasted a perfectly good fish. One that should have been cooked for a delicious meal.

• @Pacificblue62 lmao you do realize you're talking to two different people right so who are you aiming at

• @ asker. Thats true. There is a lack of usernames here. @ asker= you under 18 @ anonymous= commenter (25-29).

What Guys Said 17

• Just be honest, and tell him you like him as a friend, but not like that!! If you lead him on, and avoid it, it will only be bad, later!!
    Like ripping off a band-aid, better just do it quick, and be done with it!

• Oh it is definitely possible. 20 years ago was thjs beautiful woman who was 15.5 years older than me, but I didn't know it at the time. I wasn't aggressive, but she shot me down. (Looking back, that was the right thing to do because she was such a free spirit.) Anyway, we knew each other because we both smoked but my hair was longer than average for a guy, so I was "cool". She was cool too having been an on-air radio personality 13 years earlier and I remembered her. Anyway, we became good friends for 3 more years.

• Yes, because it was never a real friendship in the first place if one person was feeling as if they wanted to be more than friends. There's nothing wrong with just wanting to be friends so he has to accept that. Just tell him you'd rather just be friends.

• Yes you can still be friends. You just have to be honest, and he just has to be able to handle rejection correctly

• "no sorry i am not interested in a date (insert reason here)" that is straight forward and respectful, and he will have a reason. thats better than a half answer that will only frustrate him further.

• He asked me out a week ago and we kinda made plans but I've thought about it all week and I see we aren't right for each other. He never wants to talk, text, and if I say something he doesn't like he will leave or ignore me so I don't know I don't think I want up deal with that. So how do I tell him if it's been a week? I never said yes either but I agreed to meet up.

• i would just tell him what you told me.

• Just think about why you are going to reject him... It feels very bad when they do that to you... I'm talking by experience.. Especially if he is really into you.. If he is a cool guy why not give him a chance... Not saying to fall in love with him but maybe he will surprise at the end of the day you make the choice but... It really does suck

• The best way is this "Honestly I appreciate it, but I just am not interested, sorry" you don't even have to say sorry if you don't want to.

I would be like "Haha thanks for being honest, and no don't worry about it"

• great one is "I really want to enjoy being on the market for awhile or be single for a while or enjoy my freedom for a bit, sorry you seem really nice"

• Just say no.

• He's a man, he can take it. Just say no.

• Don't worry about the "least amount of pain" part. Just get it over with as quickly and directly as possible. Think of it like ripping off a Band-Aid: Faster stings more, but slower hurts longer, and that's worse.

• Let me ask you this pink anon
    Why say no anyway?

• Say this. I currently am not up for dating anyone right now but thank you for asking.

• Say thank you for the offer, but say their not your style

• I'd still try to smash yoi regardless of your answer, it's just gonna be more of a challenge.

• you're not tall/white/douchey/immature enough for me so get the fuck outta my fa... OMG your wallet is so thick, can we fuck?

• no such thing as the friend zone

What Girls Said 8

• Every Tom Today is Different. It all depends here, dear.
    He will either have a Sour ball and All and Not want to 'Still be friends,' or he could be the Kind of Guy that after a good Try, will 'Still' Hang in there and Hope you change your mind By... Being a Friend to the End.
    Good luck. xx

• *Tell him that you feel you would like Friendship for now, you are Not ready for a Real Relationship. xx

• It's possible to say "no" but still be tactful. It's best to be honest so he knows where he stands with you.

• just be politely honest

• You have to be straight and honoust, but tell him in a positive way: you appreciate his proposal for a date and feel flattered, but don't want to do because... (give your reasons)

• "you're a really nice guy, but we are not a match."

• Lol no don't say that.

• You don't have to say it too sweet. Give off like an uninterested tone while saying what I said. I just think it will save the person from feeling bad about themselves afterwards.

• * be really direct and stern. Don't be hesitant about saying it. That's what makes it worse.

• wouldn't it be better to talk to him about whats bothering you first and see if he's receptive?

• I have and he doesn't seem to change, and I don't expect him to so its not his fault. I just feel like relying on him about personal stuff and problems won't work out and if we are dating it kind of has to right?

• Me 2 suffering from Same problem...:-( ... i also don like to hurt people... accoriding my xperience... girls should not take that proposal seriously.. we should just laughing... i know it is weird but it works :-D

• Just be honest with him. I think he would appreciate that than giving a chance for nothing.