What do you think about professional users in online dating websites who make frequent grammar and spelling errors in their profiles?

Yet, claim to be lawyers, doctors, and teachers?
I was having a debate with a complete stranger over this and he claimed that lawyers can still be lawyers and neurosurgeons can still be neurosurgeons, without knowing how to write properly. If this was the case, then how would they have even made it past college? I can understand that the inability to write with proper grammar and spelling doesn't necessarily make you dumb, but you would need to have good writing skills in order to be admitted into law/medical school because that's what you're tested on in the entrance exams.
The point is that many users in online dating websites claim to be lawyers/teachers/cops, yet their grammar isn't consistent with the language used by the individuals who hold those occupations. This to me raises a big red flag that these guys are probably lying about their occupation... What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Such mistakes cast serious doubt on their claim to be a lawyer, doctor, teacher, or whatever, however the education systems throughout the Western world have been undermined so effectively by the left that almost anything is possible.
    I completed an education degree recently at an Australian university. Most of the teaching materials (pre-lecture readings, etc) were American journal articles and books. These journal articles and books were written by American academics, most of whom had doctorates in education, English, or history.
    What I found consistently throughout the work of multiple American academics was that they:
    1. Did not know where to put an adverb.
    2. Did not understand verb tenses.
    3. Thought that the singular possessive apostrophe indicated plurality.
    4. Used capital letters as though they were writing German, rather than English.
    5. Did not understand punctuation, especially the humble comma.
    6. Thought that sentences could be initiated by a conjunction.
    7. Were fond of creating non-words, in a effort to manufacture a form of pseudo intellectual jargon that they, apparently, thought would impress someone.
    I will not hold Americans responsible for the sins of Noah Webster, whose ignorance resulted in his attempt to rewrite English spellings, but I am infuriated by Webster's ignorance and arrogance when his work extended to an attempt to rewrite and bastardise Latin.
    I tutor English and history students and, from time to time, I will edit a master or doctoral thesis for someone. It was frightening to learn how many such people lacked fundamental literacy.

Most Helpful Girl

• poor grammar is always a turn-off to me, no matter who you are. but, in the scenario you described, likely 1) they're lying about their occupations or 2) are legitimately that lazy/stupid.

in fact, my boyfriend (who i met online) had me at his proper use of "you're".

What Guys Said 9

• Once in a while, a person might mistype something, but when they commonly misuse 'Your' and 'You're' or 'Their' and 'There' they are probably fakers and frauds!!
    Grammar, and sentence structure, if English is their first language, is usually the first sign!!
    But then, there are others, from around the world, and they are honest, true people, but English is rather hard to learn, and they do well, much of the time, so you kind of need to look at their location, and past posts, and be a bit of a detective, sometimes. . .

• I don't know why this is on the dating section but oh well.

And I TOTALLY understand you!! People with lots of Instagram followers will misspell a word that you learn in third grade. Such as "defense" and they spell it "defence" like CMON BRO! Let's dumb down America some more shall we? Oh yeah it's not possible.

• Absolutely. Using correct grammar and spelling become second nature after four years of college, let alone post-graduate work.

• You're probably right, with that level of education it's not a stretch to also know grammar. I would be wary.

• They might have the bad attitude that it doesn't matter as much since it's 'only' a dating site. Quite honestly, it says a lot about their personality that they care so little about the bad impression they're making.

• Well.. most people just toss up a profile without giving a shit just to see who will hit them up.. they never actually want to meet anyone just want the ego boost.. so sometimes you will find that they just dont care enough to fix shit lol..

• Have you ever seen a doctors handwriting? It ain't pleasant lol. I wouldn't think any less of them

• What I wonder is: Why do doctors and lawyers waste time with dating websites?

• Lawyers would be the most suspicious. Extreme precision with language is their job.

What Girls Said 1