Do you think looks matter in a relationship?

My new boyfriend and i are very happy together. But multiple people ask me why i am with him. They all say that i'm much better looking then him, which isn't a complete lie. We are from two different groups at school. He's in band, and is kinda nerdy and i party a lot. But i don't believe in looks being that important, I'm focused more on personality. He makes me laugh a lot and is very caring, that's why i am with him. But why do you think that everyone around us is so shocked that we are a couple? Do you think looks really do matter in a realtionship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Only question you have to ask yourself, is "Are you and your boyfriend happy?", if yes nothing else matters.

Most Helpful Girl

• Looks matter to a certain extent, at least as far as initial attraction is concerned. I couldn't date someone I'm not physically attracted to. However, looks certainly aren't everything and definitely not the most important part of a relationship. Personality is what makes me STAY in a relationship.

Regarding your personal situation, who cares what other people think? It's your relationship and you're the one dating him, not those other people. So as long as you're happy with him, that's all that matters. :)

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, looks do matter, which is partly what the initial stage of the relationship (actually agreeing to date) is based upon. Physical attraction is a necessity, but that doesn't mean other people's opinion should override what you feel.

• Looks do matter. But you need to differentiate what others think from what you think. If your friends think your boyfriend is unattractive, it doesn't matter as long as you think he is attractive.

Just as looks, the way someone makes you feel fluctuates or/and changes. So it's important for you to still find him physically attractive no matter how vain it sounds, specially when it comes to sexual chemistry.

• Hell yeah

• because you're in high school where ppls lives revolve around popularity, and in high school: good looks=popularity

• Do YOU find your significant other attractive? Then good, that's all that matters.

• Yes.

• To an extent: appearance plays a role in getting together with the person.

• No fick those people
    You two are awesome the way you are

• As long as she's not a dick to me, nothing will stop me from being with her.

• they are fucking jealous , because u guys are not using each other as trophies.

• Because we live in a superficial world. Most people asking that to you probably aren't even being mean, they're seriously curious as to why you're with him. Just say you love his personality.

What Girls Said 18

• To an extent, yes. If you're not attracted to someone at least a little, then it probably isn't gonna work out. Buuut as long as there's a little physical spark there, then it doesn't really matter, personality is more important.

• Looks should only matter to you. It's you who's dating him... no one else If you are happy being with him then other people's opinions don't matter. Ignore other people's sarcastic comments. Everyone has different preferences so one person may find someone good looking someone else may not.

• Looks matter, but only to the two people in the couple. What other people think doesn't matter. I love big, strong guys, even some with noticeable fat, and I've had little skippy boys who are my size ask me why I was with my boyfriend. Jealous dudes will do stuff like that. Just do what you want.

• Looks doesn't matter in "you guys relationship" hopefully not but obviously looks matters in others perspective on who should be in a relationship together. It doesn't matter at all but i would try my best to block that type of attention out because it'll have the not so good looking significant other feeling insecure.

• not exactly. attraction matters. yore attracted to him. might not be bc of his looks b you've got chemistry. blind people fall in love -no?

• Now you're ansking us for our opinion.

For me, it is important. But it is not the only thing.
    But I need to be attracted to my partner by some extent.
    But of course, if I am not happy with my partner, and the personality etc. is good as well, then the looks would not matter at all.

But if you are happy together with your boyfriend, then you should not think about what other people thinks or not. It is your relationship, not theirs.

• Of course looks are important. You need to be attracted to whomever you're with. Some people are more demanding with looks than others but it is important to say the least. As long as you like him who cares? I would say I have a similar issue but my boyfriend and I are polar opposites of looks (not attractiveness) if that makes any sense haha

• My friends say the same to me. The way I like to think about it is that in 50 or 60 years time you'll both be old and wrinkly and looks won't really be a factor. What will be a factor is personality; so, providing he is good company and you're happy with him then it doesn't matter whether or not your friends approve.

• yes obviously

• If you like him for him, anyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

• Ehh... who cares? As long as YOU are happy. That's all that matters. As long as you are attracted to him, and he to you.. it's all good.

• I think that it's important for you to be attracted to your partner, but that is very subjective. It doesn't really matter if *other* people find him attractive so long as *you* do.

• As long as the two of you are happy and content with each other, what difference does it make what other people think or say.

• if you are attracted to each other it's a match made in heaven

• Yes to a certain extent

• Look is everything

• Opposites attract, so him being nerdy and you liking to party is not that big of a surprise. People have it stuck in their mind that you have to be equally attractive, people call these "leagues" they are one of the most stupid things people think.

Hope I helped :)

• Do you feel better about yourself now? You just admitted what everyone else is saying and you feel superior about it.