What is your view in dating a younger guy?

I am 20yrs old and I work cashier at some retail store. I met thos guy when he was paying and he looked familiar to me. I told him and he said yea he had seen me but doesn't remember.
So now recently he came in to the store again. He bought some more shoes and he asked for my number. Thats when i found out he is 17 years old. He asked me to go on a date and tomorrow we will see eachother to have breakfast.
Im also a bit scared bc I don't want any problems with the law. I don't have bad intentions with him and I am not thinking on having sex with him. Anyways I hope everything goes well.
I only dated a young boy but when I was 14 he was 13.
by the way he does look mature he looks like he is 19yrs old. He also works at clubs bartending.

I just want your opinion and advice on this please. Thank you :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Depending upon the state's law or your local laws. If the age of consent isn't a minimum of 18, then I don't think there will really be any problems even if you were to engage in any kind of sexual activity with him.

Just decide what you really want. Do you just want to hook up, or do you think this is really somebody you really want to form a relationship with? That's all that really matters. 3 years apart really is nothing. It's not like an age gap of 10 years or more, so there's really nothing to be of real concern here.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that's wrong

What Guys Said 31

• This is perhaps where there seems to be a considerable difference between the two sexes.

I cannot imagine a 17-year old young man being traumatized or feeling like he was taken advantage of by a 20-year old girl.

If anything, you might be like a patron saint for him. Just make sure to use protection.

• still might be illegal. regardless how he sees it. she should check local laws.

• @AriadneSky Oh I see, I didn't realize about the laws there. I thought she just felt like she might be taking advantage of someone a bit too young and immature.

• oh i hope not. thats silly. :) but yeh unfortunately there could be legal problems. might have to wait a year. that'd be awkward. im sorry i can't date you bc its not legal lol

• Lol if you were a 20 year old male hitting on a 17 year old girl this whole site would claim you to be a pedophile.

• 20/17 is not bad - Legally I presume you live in a 18 age of consent area - So if you are worried no sex till he is 18 - After that just have a look at your mindsets - My main qualm about age gap relationships is not the numbers but often you are at different stages of your life - Say in your case he is high school, you are working.

• It depends on what state you live in or the laws in your area.. like in ohio it's legal to date someone 16 or older as long as you are no more than 4 years older than them, so here you could date a 17 year old because you're 20. 3 years isn't much of an age difference at all, at this point it's not much of one and in 10 years it'll be non existent. If you like the guy go out with him, and on the bright side you will be able to go out to bars with your girls, for 3 years without him being able to hit the bars with his friends, so no need to worry about that lol

• No problem! Go for it

• Thats fine lol. Especially cuz your a girl. But no judge is going to arrest you for rape or dating a guy thats 2 years younger.

• Well, that's fine, but don't expect the maturity of a 27 year old guy in a 17 year old. Chances are this situation will burn itself out after some time when you tire of him, no offense.

Also though, no bar could ever legally employ a 17 year old bartender in the United States. Something may not be on the up and up with that.

• Your a kid yourself. Its only 3 years a difference. The law was put there to protect youngsters from predators who were emotionally and intellectually superior than the young people they were after and who could manipulate them into sex. Thats hardly a factor between both of you.

• by the way i had with a woman 11 years my senior when i was 15 and I've never stoped boasting about it. Men never see themselves as victims in that sense

• Three years isn't much of an difference.

• As long as you don't have sex, I think it should be okay. I've seen a lot of couples lose control over that though xD

• 17 and 20; I really don't see a big difference there, aside from the fact he's still in high school. 3 years is nothing otherwise though

• I should preface that you should check your states laws. A three year difference when you are those ages is hardly immoral, but it may still be illegal. Many states pose 2 year age gaps if the person is under 18, meaning if he is 17 and the age of consent is also 18, then he can only "be with someone" 19 or under. Just be careful is all.

• I would never date a younger guy.

• The only time age really matters is when it's under age " then that's not good ! About your situation , go for it 👍 I mean I had a girl friend 13 yr older than me when I was his age , and I m the one who pursued her. I'm not suggesting that I knew what I was doing at all... just that I was a happy camper... 😋

• Yea he's the one who's asking me out to hang out or go partying. hope for the best times to come and everything goes well enjoy life lol thanks

• Do it girl..! Just re member , to let him be the age he is. Some times I date younger females , we always have lots of fun... And not get to serious. I will say this though , I just let them be thier selfs and leave it up to them to decide what they like. I'm honored and appreciate the companionship . I hope you can expreriance the same. You two... Just have fun ... Let me know how things go. 👍😋

• Nothing wrong with it although the law doesn't like dating under 18.

• try not to hav sex if 17 is underage in your place. otherwise np. let him go balls deep in those sugar walls. man i wishd id get a hot 20 yo when i was 17

• Don't worry. Guy in my high school (age 17) went out with a 25 year old woman who treated him as her sex toy, so I think it's okay.

• do it do it! make him a happy little bastard

• I love older women. Young women are a pain in the butt at times with their stupid, selfish attitudes.

• can't serve alcohol at 17.

• Lucky bastard he is

• Three years difference really isn't that big a gap and he clearly doesn't give a damn about it if he asked you out.

• Yeah it's fine. Go out with him. 3 years is not a big deal.

• What exactly are you trying to get out of this?
    You can bet that he isn't interested in a long talk with you and you know that. So what exactly are you after?

• I think it is completely fine, I personally love dating older women

• Apperently u r interested with someone younger than u

• Find out the actual age of consent in your state.

• There's no problem with that. If you like him, go for it.

• Check the legality of it where you come from. It's best to make sure.

Here a 20 year old man dating a 17 year old girl wouldn't get looked at most of the time. I doubt they would the other way around either. Although as a women you might have an issue. Generally women mature faster and so dating an older guy is actually what they look for. He wouldn't say no because of age (I doubt young any 17 year old would think this way) however his maturity is something you should check out.

People our age seem to see the age difference as bigger then those older see it. To them anyone under 21 is still a child.

• Nothing wrong with that

• you have to be 21 to bartend, i doubt he's a bartender

• or well, at least 18. 18-21 is the age range, not 17

• Yea I asked him how? He said he knows the boss where he bartends so they let him but I mean to me that's a risk for him.

• that boss is breaking the law

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 32

• Hell naw. He is legally a CHILD. lol i just think you should not do that. I mean maybe if he were 18 but if you were a guy i would tell you the same thing

• Girl... he's a bartender and he's 17. He must have hit puberty really quick really fast. I haven't dated anyone that young. My S/O is younger by almost a year but because he's taller and looks more manly they assume he's older than I am 😂😔😂 I don't see a problem with it as long as he isn't on petty or childish games. I hate a guy that leads a chick on only to find out he just wants a fuck buddy (assuming you weren't looking for one). I say have lunch. The relationship is platonic right now so no harm no foul 😊 Let me know how things go lol.

• I won't date young anymore.

• Woah how can he work as a bartender legally when he's technically a minor? I mean which country allows a person under the age of 18 to sell alcohol?
    Anyways, I personally do think that's too much of an age gap at your age. Even if you personally don't think so the maturity gap between 20 and 17 is huge. I'd definitely wait with anything sexual until he turns 18 to at least make sure you're on the safe side legally.

• Preferably I dont like younger men because I dont want to appear older than them. Also young guys have only sex on their minds, but if you like him and if he likes you then nothing is wrong with it. you're not forcing him to do anything with you. I say go for it, if you fancy him.

• You need to leave children alone is what it boils down to.

• I told my Mom that I was okay with it and she looked at me like this O>O lol !
    Pesonnaly I'm ok with few months younger. More than that and I'll start feeling weird. ANything more than 2 years younger is impossible.

• You are attracted to him.. and that's fine. He's not a kid.. just hang out with him.. see where it goes..

• I wouldn't date younger guys.

Maybe I would if I were in my mid or late 20s+, and the guy is one or two years younger but other than that, nope.

• i am 3 years older than my husband. i dont think there's anything wrong with it. but at 17 years old he's probably in highschool still which is probably a no go. unless ur ok with that. just try it and c how it goes, if not, then at least u tried :)

• I think dating a younger guy is fine, unless they're a lot younger. In your case you're both old enough to make mature decisions so I think it's fine. We've just got to remember he's 17 so don't to do anything too risky that's against the law, haha. :)

• The lowest I accept is two years younger than me. I have to feel real strongly about him to go any lower than that. I think your age gap is fine. Check the age of consent laws where you live.

• As long as he's legal I have no issues with it and frankly I think it's ridiculous that in 2016 this is even an issue. Why does the guy have to be older? It's silly

• I don't date guys younger than me because they are immature most of the time and I'm just not really into dating someone younger than me. If I were you I wouldn't do it... You can get into trouble with the law and it wouldn't even be worth it.

• Its a bit weird that you're 20 and he's only 17, and getting into a relationship with him isn't The best idea on your part , you said you haven't planned on doing anything sexual with him but what if an innocent kiss leads to other things and then his parents find out and contact the police? Just wait until he's 18 if you actually want to be with him

• You can Google the legal age of consent for your area. It is 16 where I live.

• He's 17 and a bartender? Well anyways, GO FOR IT! In a matter of months he'll be legal anyway, so I definitely think you should try it out. Who knows, he could be your soul mate :)))

• if its legal i see no problem. but check first., :)

• Yeah there's nothing wrong with it. I actually wouldn't mind dating a guy 1-2yrs younger than me if I liked him.

• I think it's okay. I mean you're not thinking on having sex with him so it's perfectly OK. (You'd have to wait till he's legal to but other then that it's fine) He obviously likes you! Go get him!

• It will be ok. Just go for it.

• If younger men are your cup of Joe then go for it. I personally am not attracted to younger men, sure, I may find some good looking, but I just couldn't date someone younger than me.

• I am 19 years old and I find 17-18 years old boys super attractive.

• i love them

• I always date up. Guys mature later than women.

• you are an adult, don't date people who are under 18.

• I don't want to

• ı like older ones

• Yea me too I usually date guys who are 23,24 around that age but It seemed like this kid/guy caught my attention lol something about him. :/

• because they think mature :D

• I would not want to do it since they're more likely to be immature and inexperienced.

• I would never date younger

• More from Girls
    2