Guys, What does it mean when a guy says he isn't looking to get tied down in a relationship but agrees to be exclusive?

I've had a friend with benefits for several years that I really caught some feelings for, and he's even told me at one point he has been getting kinda attached to me. We hang out more now than we ever did and I began to tell him I'm rather uncomfortable with him sleeping with other people, at which point he tells me he's not. But I continue and ask him if we can be exclusive. At first he tries to evade the question and tell me again he's not sleeping with anyone else, and I say I'm kinda looking for a promise that you won't. So he tells me he doesn't like to make promises but isn't sleeping with anyone else and doesn't plan to, and he's just really not looking to get tied down into a relationship right now since he is going away for a few months. But when I told him that answer just really didn't sit well with me and I wasn't sure i could continue things the way that they were he then told me he promised we could be exclusive. But since he had thrown in that part about not wanting a relationship, which I wasn't ready to have yet anyway, but I naturally assume if a guy's willing to be exclusive with you they must like you. And if they like you why would they throw out there they aren't interested in an actual relationship yet he's giving up his freedoms of being with other girls for me? I'm kinda confused. Why would a guy who doesn't want a relationship agree to be exclusive with you?

4

Most Helpful Guy

• People have given their lives for freedom. It should be obvious.

What Guys Said 3

• If he agrees to "relationship," you will move on to demand an engagement ring. He obviously likes you, but you want wedding bells (whether you admit it or not). He doesn't, so he's trying to make the friends with benefits part last as long as possible before you two break up over his refusal to marry you.

• Lol no this doesn't have anything to do with marriage. I have no desire to be married

• No you're like twisting my words and stereotyping women again. I'm not even talking about when I was younger, I'm talking about a couple months ago. Money ain't s thing. Girls aren't all desperate to grab a "wallet". The guy my question is in regards to isn't even currently working. Please spare me your misogynist views on how women are users and can't support themselves

• Or I'll start with my sexist views on how egotistical guys are that you think we're all after your money. Please dude. When I wanna get into a relationship I do it for love

• He could be lying

• Because in a relationship there is more resonsibility and drama. But since you two are exclusive friends with benefits you can both avoid all that.