As a teenager, would you expect the boy to pay for the date?

Either from the girls perspective or the boys. Girls-do you usually expect them to pay? Guys-do you pay?

• Yes the boy pays
  • No the boy doesn't

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course girls are gonna want the guy to pay, free food, who's gonna say no to that.
    A good girl would offer to pay for her part, so as a guy, you know when you've chosen a good one, when you see her offer to pay at least half.

• Good opinion!

• I say no to it.

• Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• No. 2 jobless teens probably have the same amount of money which is not going to be much. They should split the bill.

• Thats why you're the most awesome!

• Lol, now im wondering what youd say.

• That I think it's a great idea to pay and wait for the girl to offer. I never offer to pay for the guy honestly because I think most guys don't like it, but I would pay for myself. It definitely says something about a girl if after a few dates they're not willing to do something as normal as pay for themselves. You should at least offer to. Even if you're old fashioned, it simply has to do with being polite & respectful

What Guys Said 46

• Going Dutch is best

• When you are young, and just dating, he should ask you out, and open doors, and hold your hand, getting out of the car, and adjust the chair, as you sit, and should pay for the date.
    THAT DOES NOT ENTITLE HIM TO A KISS, OR SEX, IN ANY WAY!!
    He should be a proper gentleman, and respect her, as a lady.
    OK, that was my time, and that was the Right Way, and I liked it, and it worked.
    What you kids do now, I haven't a clue, but I think that women should be respected, and treated well, like ladies, and I will always do that, and believe that!

• In a perfect world where girls asked out guys just as often as guys asked out girls, then I would say that whoever proposed the date should be the one to pay. Then it would be up to the other person to propose a second date and pay for it that time.

But since its 2016 and most girls STILL refuse to ask guys out, us guys have to do all the initiating. It wouldn't be fair for us to have to pay all of the time, just because we have no other option. So I think in this case, it'd only be fair to split the bill.

• Yes 2016, the current year makes a big difference...

• @freetheshoe

Yeah. It does make a difference. Its been almost a century since women were granted the right to vote, and soon after every other right equal to that of a man followed suit. Yet today, in the modern world, the very same women who advocate gender equality still cling to sexist traditional gender roles, because in this case it is covenient for them.

• That's really fucked up how girls think that guys should pay LOL. It's not like male teenagers make more money than female teenagers. It's their parents' money, so why the fuck should men pay for everything? And yet, you want equal treatment for women. Talk about mixed messages. Is it that you want equal rights and treatment for women or just more privileges for women?

• For all you girls out there, listen. The more you expect a guy to pay for you, the less he will think of you as a good woman. He may not say it out loud, that's just how it is. The more you want your man to pay for you, the more he will want to keep his money for himself. Remember that.

• @tyber1 there's your logical argument right there.

• @TheGreatValerie We're not bitter. We're just utterly amazed at how much you lack in the insight, maturity, and common sense departments.

• Teenagers are indoctrinated to have such sexist expectations, so the guys will want to pay, and the girls will expect it because "it's the man's job, because their penis gives them money" or something.

• A man who assumes he must pay is spineless and weak, he has no respect for him self.

A woman who assumes a man must pay is entitled and sexist, she has no respect for the men she dates.

• Always. Men and women are most attracted to each other when the man provides, regardless of whether or not she needs provided for. If he doesn't have much money then do things on a date that require little or no money, but whatever you do do the guy should pay. Paying separately is what you do when you're not trying to create feeling of attraction.

• Sounds weird bruh.

• It shows that you're a provider. It dries the pussy up. At that age, they don't want a provider type.

You obviously have no reading comprehension.

• @Barrabus_the_Free You're the one with no reading comprehension. I never said be her sugar daddy. Maybe that's what you're used to doing, but not what I said.

Women are attracted to guys who make them feel safe, both physically, financially, and otherwise. That's why women place lots of value on a guy who is athletic and muscular and rich, and why guys don't. If she's hot and fun, then guys rarely care of she's rich or athletic.

Taking care of the expenses on a date show her you're in charge and you're able to take care of the expenses. Taking her out somewhere and then telling her to pay for herself is just giving her the middle finger, or letting her know you're too cheap to pay for something you brought her to.

• It's the generation of equality. If you like him then show sincerity that you are equally interested in spending time with him and share the costs or else it becomes a situation where he is 'buying your time' which in the end demeans him.

• Nope and it was never taken well. It's why most of the dates where free ones like a picnic at the park or something that didn't mean me paying.

The majority of women still seem to think men should pay but also appreciate effort more then money so I always go for the latter.

I highly dislike the convention that men pay. We get nothing out of this and the days we should do anything because we are "men" has passed.

• I usually pay for the first 3 dates. But then again I plan the first 3. I then wait for her to plan the 4th date. If she doesn't, I'm not interested because it kinda shows me she is selfish or unwilling to chip in financially to the relationship.

p. s. The guy saying its a privilege to spend time with her is a loser! Basically saying, you are not worth anything compared to her.

• dont care what girls think they can pay for their own shit

• 2 butt hurt gold digger bitches disliked your comment lolol

• When I was a teenager, the boy ALWAYS paid. I still ALWAYS pay.

The number one complaint I hear from younger women about dating younger guys is that they expect her to pay. That isn't right. The guy should pay if he asks her out (there is some leeway if she asks him out).

• If you want to be a sad, whipped individual, then yeah, the guy should pay. But i honestly find this question very stupid. It should be 50/50. I can say this too. If i did pay for every date, then i get sex afterwards right? Sounds bad right? But its the same thing. Dont expect us to pay for your entertainment when it isn't being repaid.

• As teen I kinda feel we dont really earn much. Still if you invite your girl out on a date I feel it would be great if you pay, but only with your own earned money. Using your parents money sounds very cringy to me for some reason. Also I guess I would like that if I catered to her once the next time she catered to me. aren't relationships give and take?

• If she expects me to pay for everything, then I will just stop taking her out.

• Not everything, the question is just talking about the first date.

• That's why I was commenting, I was just telling you that I was asking towards the first date :)

• The point is that having a vagina doesn't mean that someone with a penis owes you anything

• Ahhh, there we have it.
    Right in the teen years the instinctual hypergamy starts right there.
    Where not even considering dates, that both parties can agree to date in teen-style as in low or no budged without wasting resources.
    True love is almost extinct. Money rules over the bodies.

The poll results just proves it some more.

And now my personal opinion:
    The boy is NOT obligated to pay for any dates UNLESS both parties agreed upon it. That's just my opinion.

• I expect the parents to actually pay for it.

• Once in a while, I might treat my lady to something nice and I'd pay for it. It helps show that I care for her.

But being EXPECTED to pay simply because I'm the guy makes no sense. Why should I have to simply because I'm the guy?

Expecting either gender to pay for more than their share is wrong, really. If a guy expected the girl to pay for both of them, that's just lazy. I'd expect her to pay for her expenses while I pay for mine. Is that not so reasonable?

• Whomever did the asking should pay for the first date. But by date 2-3 if you make it that far you should either split it or take turns paying for the other person

• It depends who asked who to go on the date.

If i asked a girl on the date of course i'd pay, but if she asked me i would expect her to pay and i would still offer to pitch a little in. Or just leave the tip for the server

And If we have the funds to pay. Like if she had no money but she wanted to go on a date and i liked her enough to want to take her out i'd pay in that situation

• If he wants the privilege of spending time with the woman then he should pay
    Once a solid relationship is established then its a different thing.
    But for dates the guy should pay

• I like to pay whenever I'm with a girl
    I always pay :P

• I'd say you guy has the option to pay or not depending on how he feels about the girl and the situation that led to the date. If he's trying to win her over and that then paying for the date might help. Although thats's not always the case so the girl shouldn't just expect him to pay that's a little unfair as well.

• When I was a teen I didn't have any money or rich parents to give me money, so it should be whoever can afford it. If the teen girl I'm dating has rich/nice parents giving her money then she should be paying, cause teens don't have jobs.

• Pay for what you buy, for fuck's sake.

• Split the bill 'foo

• Men pay for dates... Waitresses get tipped more often than waiters. I think men should just avoid restaurants altogether :P

• it shouldn't have anything to do with the gender

• Half and half. Always

• I've always paid the first few dates and if she doesn't offer then im done.

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 41

• What is this sexist bullshit? No men do not have to pay nor should they feel obligated to. I always offer to pay, and don't expect him to.

• Wttfff the results are disgusting. You shouldn't expect the guy to pay, at least go dutch. If the guy is willing to pay then okay thank them and move on. But guys shouldn't be EXPECTED to pay. You pay. Give a little.

• Though it's an incredibly sweet gesture for the boy to pay, I personally wouldn't mind paying for him and myself. I don't mind who pays as long as we have a nice time. :)

If he was continuously paying for everything though, I'd feel bad and want to pay for things too. :(

• "If he was continuously paying for everything though, I'd feel bad and want to pay for things too. "

I see that as someone being "bought" into a relationship. Just saying =P

• I can see that.

However too often I see people being bought into a relationship so we aren't slavery-free after all and probably never will.

• @Unit1 That's sad but it's true :/

• Okay I really don't get why some girls expect the male to pay. If I asked him on the date I'll pay for the food or we'll each pay for our own food but I'm not going to be like "hey your they guy so you have to pay" it's an incredibly stupid thing to expect

• I think everyone should pay what they ordered.
    I have never expected for the guy to pay, it's very disrespecful in my opinion.

• I'd expect to go dutch

• If he invited me he pays, if I invited I pay. In any other case everyone pays for what they're having.

• Never did accept that or expect it.

wow these polls are crazy. what is that. teenagers dont even have money and if they do its from the same crap jobs. why should one pay for the other. would not like that. it feels infantalizing.

• I never did, no.

• When I was a teen we always used to go Dutch cause all teens are skint. But now I let guys pay for me if they want to. Just depends on the person.

• I'd say each pays their own. You or him might want to pay, but it's always best not to take it for granted, to have money of you and be wary how much you order

• Whoever asked should pay. Or you two can spilt. I would never expect the guy to pay for everything. That's gonna get hella expensive for him.

• i just think it's rude if the guy doesn't pay for the date.

it's not about free food.

it's not about using people.

it's not about who should spend more in the relationship.

if i'm dating him i constantly buy gifts, snacks, ingredients to cook special meals for him because i WANT to.

paying for the weekly date (which is not even that expensive in most cases) is just manners.

• I voted yes because there was no both option. I think switching off is always healthy

• Never dated as a teenager but when I was a little kid and imagined going on dates I thought he would. Then once I was that old and was making my own money I felt weird when people would pay for me.

• Tbh, on a first date, I would probably pay my own because it's awkward. Second date, if he insists again then okay. If my meal is more expensive than his i'll pay/chip in.

• Honestly yea I would but I would only really expect it if it was our first date. If we had been dating a while I wouldn't expect it. I mean, we're both teenagers so Ik that he wouldn't have a huge wad of cash or anything which is why even though I'm kinda traditional and I feel like the guy should pay, I wouldn't by any means expect him to pay every time.

• No, I didn't and wouldn't expect that. I'd rather split the bill.

• I would hope that we would either split it or go on a date that requires no money at all.

• I feel bad whenever someone has to spend their money on me, so I usually don't ask for a lot. However, on dates, I think it's very sweet when a boy refuses to let me pay. I would always bring my own money on dates, just in case of course. I find it very chivalrous when a guy pays.

if guys have a problem paying, just take her somewhere less expensive. I know I don't need to go to a fancy restaurant. its more about spending time with the person. I wouldn't care if he took me to get a slice of pizza!

• it depends how old you are. if you're like 13 so you both ask your parents for money, then yeah i think you should pay separately but if you're like 17 and have jobs, he doesn't HAVE to pay but if he does, he's a good one.

• No, it's who ever can afford to pay or if both can afford their own food.

• I feel like who ever asked for the date should pay. For example in high school I asked a guy to see a movie with me a payed for everything because it was my idea.

• I would never expect a guy to pay I always bring enough to pay for myself and usually I insist on paying for myself but the guy usually pays anyways.

• I always paid for my shit, though the guys never let me. Why should his be any different?

• Yes, especially the first date if he asks you out.
    If I asked him out then I would pay, but if he offers to pay then I would let him pay.
    Also, if you are going on a date ALWAYS BRING YOUR VEX MONEY just in case something goes wrong and both of you get into an argument.

• I'm not a teenager but most teenagers I know are super broke, so everyone should pay for their own stuff.

• I say he pays for the first date cos guys can be flaky and enjoy wasting my time. But after the first date it's 50:50 and I'm more than happy to treat him...

• The one who asks the other out should pay.

• Really if I wanted to pay for my dates mea

• *meal I'm going to. (it sent before I could finish typing)

• More from Girls
    11