Guy I'm dating doesn't like kids?

We have been dating a couple months and he knows I have a two year old daughter. Tonight at dinner he told me that he doesn't like kids and does not want to get married or have kids until he is in his 30s (he's 22). Should I be avoiding this guy, or keep dating him to see if he changes him mind?

Most Helpful Guy

• i hate kids too, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to have kids. I definitely want kids of my own, and I'll love them from the bottom of my heart. But I just hate annoying little random kids.

• and yeah, if he's unwilling to take your kids, you know you should move on.

Most Helpful Girl

• he likes you a lot, tried with you, but realized he is not ready to take on that role. you have to decide... next time, take your time with guys before introdceing to your daughter. at lease he is honest and told you the truth.
    unless you are not looking for anything serious...

i dated a guy, he met my kids after 5 dates in, he ended. i am okay with that.
    met another guy waited 2 - 3 months, talked about my situation. he was okay and was very good with my kids, helped me a lot and was there for my kids as well. didn't work out and i wish him well...
    this is what we have to go through being a single mom...

Thank out for MHO
      How are things going?

What Guys Said 13

• Obviously you should avoid him - he doesn't want something that you can not change about yourself.

• Well, he knows about your daughter and it's dating you...
    Maybe he just not thinking about getting another kid in his life in the next years.

How does he relate with your daughter? If he's a nice man with her, and plays, or have some curiosity about her, then he might be your man.

If not... meh.

• Depends... what do you want out of your next relationship? I mean if you're just casually dating he might not care and you might not want to introduce your kids to him anyways.

• If your goal is to get married and have kids in some years then move on
    And if you can wait for 8 years then date him :P
    This case sounds familiar to me cause I wanna marry after 30 but I don't have any problem with kids 😂 LOL

• Avoid this dude. It won't work out in the end

• Drop him.

• He won't change his mind. For most men, especially men his age, kids
    are a deal breaker. Too many compromises and not enough in return.

• there's nothing wrong with him not liking kids, but since you do like kids, i think its time for you guys to move on.. i mean if you guys disagree on something small, then maybe it can be overlooked because nothing is ever perfect...

but, if you guys disagree on a topic as big as kids, then itll never work

• Does he know you have a kid?

• Why would you avoid him? Not many 22 year olds would even date a single mom.

• just drop him & MOVE ON !

• Can you blame him?

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 11

• Your child is your main priority. Give it to him straight either he has to accept your daughter and stop waisting your time or there's the door.

He doesn't have to marry you but he does have to get more involved it's not like she doesn't exist.

• He knows you have a child, yet he is still dating you- so it's a little confusing. I would suggest communicating with him more and asking how he feels about your daughter. Ask him to explain exactly what he meant by his comment, and how he expects that to affect your relationship given that you obviously have a child. See what he has to say. Then make your decision.

• Avoid as you know what you want and he might not change his mind

• Sooner or later it's going to be a deal breaker. It's up to you if you want to keep messing around with this guy, but understand he's not a permanent option. If want to find someone serious that will love the both of you, I'd consider expanding my horizons elsewhere and dropping him. He's a waste of time to invest emotions into.

• If your priorities don't match his, get out before getting too involved

• In the end you have to do what is best for you child.. If he doesn't change is mind, it will affect her. she will know when she isn't wanted...

• That's a funny thing to say when you're dating someone with a child..

• you should avoid this guy. He's only 22 and probably wants to be young and live carelessly-not wanting to have the responsibility of looking after a child because he's still sort of growing up himself. Also, I wouldn't want to bring him around my kid if he's not going to like my kid, that should be a given...

• Boo hoo. Move on.

• Seems a little weird he is dating you knowing you have a daughter and then outright saying he doesn't like kids and doesn't want any or to get married in 8 years. Seems to me like he doesn't really want to be in a long term relationship.

• Once a guy sets his mind to not having kids... Then that's it. The only way his mind will change is if he wants it to change. Other than no.