Would you reject someone because they come from a bad family?

Would you? if a guy/girl is decent, they have their life together, they have a house, a car, a job. They take care of their appearance, their wardrobe is on point they work out and look good. You like them and you want be in a relationship with them but would you reject this person because his/her family is trash?

• Yes i would
  • No i would not
thanks guys, i appreciate the feedback so far. 100 votes on the poll lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all. If he has the qualities I'm looking for , his family history would be irrelevant to me. I'd judge him solely based on his own personality , not his home life or his families personalities

He has had no control over the environment he was raised in. He has also had no control over his families behaviour either. So I'd look beyond his family

Most Helpful Guy

• Cool, she can spend more time with my family.

What Girls Said 28

• No, but if they interfered with out lives and made them miserable, then probably it wouldn't work in the long run...

• Absolutely not. Everybody's family isn't all sparkly clean. However what I do suggest is that if you can't handle the fact the family doesn't like you or the baggage that comes with it, it's best you don't marry them. Because your going to deal that for the rest of your marriage life as long as your married to the person. It will not make things easier, but if your love for each other is strong, then you can overcome anything.

• Interesting question.

As you said, the person is trying to detach himself from his bad family. He's become someone independent, strong and basically a good person.

If I like him and he likes me, I couldn't care less about his family.

• i dunno, id have to get to know him a little longer, because i find a family man very attractive.

• My cousin had a relationship with guy who's father was abuser and while he was intelligent and spontaneous, he had bad temper and he was hard to communicate because of his painful past. Once he got drunk and grabbed neck of my another cousin and almost killed her. So I don't know what you mean in a bad family but if you mean that they were abusers I would be super careful and get to know your real nature first. But if he got over problems of his bad family that's not a problem.

• Yes I would.

• God no! It's horrible to reject someone based on something they can't control!

• unless the family was involved in our relationship more than they should be, then no, i wouldn't.

• No you are dating the person in question NOT their family.

• No, I wouldn't. I would be in a relationship with him, not with his family. Plus, my "family" is not good either.

• No I would not. If the person I cared about had a sh*t family, I would care less. I'd be dating them for THEM, not their family. I'd certainly hate it if a guy rejected me because of my past/family

• Yeah possibly. I don't want that kind of drama in my life.

• But if he himself was everything you wanted in a guy would you really dump him because of his bad family?

• I would not... Why? Because that person saw the value of a righteous life and decided to focus on what's good... Your family background does not define who you are as a person... And it will not determine how you shape your future

• It depends on how bad the family is and how involved they try to be.

• No, I wouldn't judge for that but it can impact the relationship and cause problems.

• Most aspects of family doesn't mean much to me probably from my own experience so yes but if he was demanding that his toxic family should be in my life then no

• Yeah, I would. Sadly, the family can have a huge influence on a relationship.

• maybe, our kid could have psycho aunts/uncles/grandparents who try things

• I probably would because I want to get along with my in laws and would want my future kids to be happy.

• They are not their family members.

• Yes i would

• No but it would def be a red flag

• what do you mean their family is trash? depends on what the family did

• when they have bad lifestyles and accomplish nothing in life besides getting indebted.

• Clicked yes by mistake. I wouldn't. Plenty of good people come from bad families. Bad families are in a cycle that's passed down the generations, but once in a while, somebody breaks the cycle and does better things.

• I definitely feel that your family has a giant influence on you whether you want them to or not. That's not to say that one's family background dooms them for life. If someone comes from a dysfunctional family and does their best to disconnect from it, they can have as successful of their own family life as the guy who came from a "normal" home. But it's going to be a struggle, and there likely will still be ingrained qualities/thought processes that remain that come from the environment they grew up in.

I'd much rather be with someone who came from a similar background as me. My family is a bit dysfunctional itself, but certainly not as screwed up as some other families I know.

• No I would not

• I come from a pretty dysfunctional family. I hope to meet someone who understands and who has also used this as a springboard to overcoming that cycle more than anything.

• Depends on how much of a bother his family would be.

• you dont have to meet them if you dont want to, you will never see them ever.

• Just to clarify, I didn't interpret trash = low social class. For me, it has more to do with manners, values and culture.

• i agree with that.

What Guys Said 22

• If anything I might admire a girl more who came from a poor or oppressive environment and then rose above it all independently.

• I wouldn't write off anyone because of who I might think they're family is on the surface... They'll probably bring some interesting stories with them... I mean if my dad were to of married a girl from a respectable upstanding catholic Palm Beach family that did business with my grandfather like his parents wanted him to, then I couldn't joke about my mom's family being pirates, my great great grandfather ship wrecking on the coast during a hurricane, my grandfather holding onto a palm tree as he watched his home be swept off the coast by storm serge and swallowed in the ocean in 1919... Good thing he was a homely cigar roller or he might of lost his grip and would have been swept into the sea as well... I couldn't mention my great grandmother who was stuffed down a well as a child to be hidden from American soldiers when they came to exterminate my Native American ancestors... or another distant great grandfather that got in a duel and shot a man dead after 10 paces and was sentenced to hard time, but then later pardoned by the Governor... While my mom's family wasn't ideal when it comes to class, education, etc. they are very warm people and definitely interesting...

• I would not reject the person but I would be on alert that this was the family in which she was raised and it is likely that such an experience has had an impact on her.

• It would depend on what the family is like. Are they "trash" because of their bloodline or is it one or two family members that are giving the family a bad name? If it is a bloodline thing I would have to give this a lot of thought.

• No, but I would approach VERY cautiously.

Coming from a bad family, in my experience, ALWAYS leaves scars, and RARELY do people have the strength to conquer and live with said scars. Rarely, but it happens.

• Depends on how close they are with their family. If they don't associate with their family, then yea I don't care and would welcome her into mine. If she has close ties with them I would not involve myself in a long term relationship. Learned that lesson the hard way and I'm glad I never went as far as marriage. You Marry her, you marry her family. If you can't stand the family... tough.

• No, I'm dating them. Not their family.

• No. I'm not dating the family. The most I'd do is avoid the families get togethers.

We've all got members of our family we would rather keep hidden.

• I wouldn't care.

• No. That would be a form of racism.

• I feel some girls would not be with me for long because of some certain people in my family. 😕 it's not my fault there are some toxic people in my family

• if it was negativly affecting the relationship, id propose we move across the country and remove ourselves from them.

• yes, i would do that too. even if it was my family being trash

• Absolutely.

• The saying "Don't shit on your doorstep" is very important to me.

• Not if I don't have to live with them, at least. lol

• Yes.

• In our culture, marriage is between families; not just 2 isolated individuals.

• if she hot i dont care

• yes, i would.

• No i would not

• Women care about status. Family wealth is part of a male status. Majority of women will not be with a man if he comes from a poor family. REALITY.

• To clarify. If a woman is in a higher social family than you she will not want you.

• depends, some cultures have a strong family culture like Spain and Italy, but in other countries individuality is valued more than family.

• not if she's really hot n i liked her