Can you be too poor to date?

Like, if you're a guy and have $100 in your bank account (post bills), I seriously don't think it's possible to date women unless you just netflix and chill or w/e. Dating is expensive

• Yes
  • No
  • Other (explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• You can be too poor to date certain people. It depends on the outlook, if you date someone from a rich background or who just has money and expects big things. You are. If you date a girl who is sweet and just likes adventure (me), taking her to McDonald's after a midnight walk and going house window shopping planning your future can make her immensely happy. Without ever going into a fancy restaurant or buying gifts (except birthday and Christmas). You can cook at home. Poor people find love, hence the amount of money you have should still allow you to find the one

Most Helpful Guy

• I've thought about this topic before. I feel like that's my main reason why I'm not able to date as much

What Girls Said 22

• No way. People may have serious circumstances that may prevent them from dating. But you can never be poor to date, you can only be a poor dating partner. You can be at a fancy restaurant and still be a complete turn off, with how you carry yourself. Especially if you don't even make an effort. At that point it doesn't matter who decides to pay. The date may just pay all of it just to end it, and save you the trouble. Meanwhile you can have a date anywhere, even at a fast food place. May sound cheap, but if you know how to have a great conversation, or spice it up to not make it boring, it can turn out great. You need a $100 or more for that. How much you willing to spend don't dictate a good date. Both parties should make an effort to make it memorable. To make it 'special' for them. Plus it will say a lot about who your dating and could be a potential long term partner. I would not date somebody who wouldn't consider that it's not all about what you spend. It sounds nice, but what does that have to do with who you are, unless your saying your all about money? Dating shouldn't have to be expensive. If that's true, then the person your looking to date is out of your reach because their worth more then your pocket can spend. Ridiculous.

• Sorry meant to say: You don't need a $100 or more for that.

• Yes. I wouldn't start dating a guy who couldn't afford to take me out. I don't netflix and chill with guys I hardly know, thats not a way i'd like to start out things so I wouldn't date him.

However that's just me. every female is not like that. there are some girls who will pay for dates and there are some girls who dont even require that a guy even take them on date. Typically they tend to be the less desirable girls who dont have as many options, or girls with lower self esteem. When you are broke go for those girls, when you get your money up you can raise your standards

• I kind of wanted to upvote this for being the comment closest to the truth right now. I hope guys won't date girls that are below their standards with the plan of dumping them the moment conditions improve. That's just low. >:(

• That honestly seems a bit unfair toward girls you are calling "less desirable"...

• Yes. I know this from life experience. I refused to date until I had a steady income. As a girl, some boys will be okay paying for everything because they expect us to pay them back by other means. I didn't want to be put in a vulnerable situation like that.

• I do believe you can be too poor to date cause finance can cause a lot of problems. Not with your partner but it messes you up. I can't concentrate on anything atm or anyone except work and paying my bills etc cause I'm financially struggling which causes me to have melt downs when I see my overdraft and I sometimes can't afford to eat And it's all too much so having a partner will just put a lot of unecessary baggage onto my shoulders. But hopefully after I get settled into my job in 2months I'll start enjoying life more

• Yes, my ex. did. He makes less money than me still insisted on paying for reverting and always wanted to buy me the best of everything. 1/2 of his paycheck was spent on me that i never asked. I found out later on.

Towards the end of the relationship he told me he spent his last $100. on me. He told the truth because i knew his financial accounts.

just to clarify, he broke up with me and went with his long time crash, and i very happy for him.

but there are other free things you can do if you are low on funds.

• Even though I'm only 16 and my opinion probably sucks, this is what I think. No, I don't think anyone could be too poor to truly date someone. If you find someone you actually care about and they the same to you, it shouldn't matter. Not only that, that person shouldn't be expecting you to be buying her. That's totally unfair to you. She shouldn't even be expecting gifts from you or you to pay for dinner ( though admittedly nice ). She should be paying for her self still and I think the only thing that money would start to matter is if you were to marry her and the two of you would need to be paying for living expenses.

• i mean if ur planning on taking her out every single time, sure u can be too poor, but if u know how to have fun without spending on too much, then it's not as expensive as u think, especially if she's willing to pay too.

• There's nothing wrong with a date consisting of hanging out watching netflix. In fact I'd rather have that type of date than go to a fancy restaurant then out to a snooty bar for dancing and drinks. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who feels like this either. Yeah netflix and pizza sounds good to me!

• How do you think poor people date each other? We manage to fill up entire housing estates!

• Of course not. Getting a McDonald's together, going for a walk, going to free exhibits/events. Using your MetroCard or Subway card. There's always room to be creative. Netflix and Chill is for committed couples, it's no way to get to know someone. Spend time talking to them, that kind of thing. Be outside. Shit.

• You can bring her to mcdo, go in a park and buy food from your home, go in a lake, at the beach, go take a walk, do biking, exploring forest etc...
    You can do so much things without it have to be expensive. I live in a rural area where for going to a city to a descent size you have to drive 30 minute at least so when I date we just do simple things.

• Depends on who you're dating. Some girls want to go out a lot and can be a little high maintenance. Honestly, buying a couple of snacks and having a picnic by the water or some nice scenery is a dream date for me. And Netflix isn't the worst either. If you're with the right person it shouldn't really matter how much you spend or what you do. Just that you're together and having a nice time enjoying each other's company.

• If you find a good girl you don't need money to date. Maybe you could go out together to get some coffee (or something inexpensive) on a first date then you could just hang out. This way you also avoid materialistic people that are not worth it. Have fun dating, darling!

• I'd be down to Netflix and chill, it wouldn't bother me if a guy was "poor" once he didn't plan on staying like that forever and has dreams and ambition to change things.

• You should invest in yourself.

• If you are creative enough you can't be too poor. The best things in life are free!

• I'm gonna say yes

• Not really. Unless you plan on marriage within the next 6 months..

• Fuck yeah. I'll pay for the shit then.

• If you can't afford a girl, she won't stick around for long. It also depends on the girl as well. Some girls won't even consider dating you if you make less than 100k or don't own a Mercedes.

• Yeah. I always split and sometimes I don't have money to go out to eat or for drinks when I usually stay home.

• I don't know about other girls but all i ask for is time to be together. How expensive a date is dont matter. Hell I'd probably yell at him for wasting that much money on one date shoo.

What Guys Said 18

• It's worse if you want a relationship when you take that number and multiply it by 5000.

• Lol fuck paying for a woman's date.. srs.. Feminist want to act like feminist? I'll treat her like a feminist. I'll tell her "you paying for my meal is a is a symbol of gender equality." BOOM. *drops mic*

• I agree dating can be expensive. But if you are creative, you could still date with 100 bucks. It sounds like you have your own place, so that's a BIG plus. Sure, you can't go out to expensive restaurants. But that doesn't mean you can't make your own gourmet dinners at home. Granted, it won't be as professional. But, the preparation of it and the end results can be just as great - if not more so.

• $100? missing at least 3 zeroes on that :P

• If she's fine with hanging out and not going out all the time shouldn't be an issue.

• Yeah you can. Can you be to poor to have casual sex? yeah, i mean even hobos are having sex.

You'd have to be really good looking and poor for you to make it work.

• Dude people date in countries where they don't have running water. Do YOU have running water? If so, you're not too poor to date.

I'm kiddin, yo' broke ass needs a real job.

• Honestly if your poor and live in a Western world you definitely don't want a girlfriend it will actually be a benefit to you lol.

• Walk in the park, BBQ, hiking, listen to music and talk, beach or lake. Lot's can be done.

• are they charging to go for a walk nowadays? this modern world. i just dont get it ;)

• yeah you can be

• It's smart to have a surplus of money, or just stay single

• Depends in your dating style.. Not all dates have to be expensive

• Guys date broke all the time but their game is all star. Google he homeless guy who got by in NYC by hooking up every night. He's on YouTube.

• Dating is indeed expensive, which is why you always go with Netflix and chill. Also sex.

• It depends your age and responsability

• If you're a girl you can get away with it but as a guy you're boned

• Sadly girls are very materialistic now.