Girlfriend doesn't wear other half of love charm necklace?

During our first couple of weeks of going out, my girlfriend gave me a rather cheap-looking lover charm necklace. And I loved it! I used to wear it all the time, and so would she. She loved the concept of having matching jewelry and do did I! But one day, like the idiot I am, I lost my half of the necklace. I was devastated... after I told her about it, she stoped wearing her half of the necklace ( which is understandable).

Fast forward to 4 months later, I decided to buy a rather similar looking love charm ( with initials, was that a bad idea?). I felt terrible about losing the original, and I thought this would make up for it. When I gave her her half of the necklace, she wasn't excited at all. Two weeks have passed, she only wore it once, the day I gave it to her, and never again, while I wear my half all the time like I used to with the original.

Was it a bad idea to try to replace a love charm? Or maybe our relationship is just not the same? We had our ups and downs... should I ask her about it? What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm.

In general, I don't think it's a good idea to try to replace unique items that have sentimental value.
    I understand the feeling behind yr gesture -- and I think it's a sweet gesture -- but, emotionally, there's always going to be some kind of understanding that this is just a "replacement", and not the original article. If that makes sense.

It's *possible* that there have been changes in the way yr girl sees the relationship in general, but of course that's impossible to say without knowing a LOT more about the situation.

If I were you, I'd try to think of a brand-new idea for a gift. If you like the idea of "matching" things, then you can try to think of something else along those lines -- or you can just get her something special. Up to you. (Also, you should NOT mention the old necklaces -- again, you don't want the new gift to seem like it's a "replacement" for the old one.)

Good luck.

• This is a good point, and kind of what I was trying to touch on with part of my response. The original necklaces might hold more meaning for her, and a mere replacement- especially since it took you so long to get them- might seem a little lackluster or like you're just copying her idea. Your own original gift might mean more to her.

• Yeah, it's a little hard for me to put my finger on it too. Superficially, this was a nice gesture. And it wasn't a BAD gesture... it's just not something you get points for. Replacing the necklace is something you should have done as soon as you lost the original one, and then you should have made your own romantic gesture later to show that you appreciate the gesture she made and you want to reciprocate. I think the mistake might be in expecting lots of appreciation for this gesture when in fact it was kind of a "too little, too late" type of situation.

• Tx for the MH luv <3

What Girls Said 2

• Ask her about it. There are a lot of things that could be happening. Maybe the situation with the first necklaces took away the novelty, or even created some negative associations for her (she may have been hurt that it took you so long to replace the necklace that you lost). It could also be that, since your relationship is now more long term, the appeal of wearing a "cheap looking" necklace every single day has worn off- even if it was a romantic gesture initially. Or it could be something else. You won't know until you talk to her.

• Ask her about it. I'm not sure why she isn't happy about the romantic gesture you made by replacing the other charm. Either way, you won't get any answers until you speak to her.

What Guys Said 0