I'm sad that my boyfriend just got me food for my birthday, am I selfish?

We have been dating for 3 years and my birthday was in June. He gave me muffins, a small Publix cake, and a half gallon of chocolate milk. He said that he's broke right now so he's gonna give me the rest of my present later but I think he's lying.. He has a job and all he has to pay for is 200 a month for his house he's living in with his roommates. It's been almost 2 months and I feel kinda sad about it. I even told him that if he just got me a card that would make me so happy because I love letters and cards but he didn't get me one. It sucks cause I spent 400 dollars for his birthday and Christmas (which he didn't get me anything for). I feel guilty if I think about bringing it up to him cause I know he's having money trouble and I wanna be supportive. But I definitely think he could afford a small gift or at least a card.. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Leave him. It sounds like he's spending his extra cash on another lady. Even if he is still true to you he is taking you for granted. separate for awhile. Find someone that will appreciate you. Financil problems are an excuse. He may not be able to afford a Hallmark card, but he could at least write you a love letter and treat you to a special evening. I speak from experience. I am freelance. Even on a very tight budget I managed to make all my girlfriend s feel special. It doesn't take a lot of cash to make your SO feel like a queen, just some creativity and some heart. He's obviosly bored. I would sit down and be upfront. He may also be stashing his cash to buy a wedding ring. I hope this helped. Bottom line? What you do depends on how you feel about him and where you see your relationship going. Good luck.

Most Helpful Girl

• You are.

• Care to elaborate?

• Well, I don't know his situation but I do know all about being broke and trying to pay bills. At least he remembered and got you something.

Thanks for my mh

What Guys Said 6

• "He said that he's broke right now so he's gonna give me the rest of my present later but I think he's lying.. . . . I feel guilty if I think about bringing it up to him cause I know he's having money trouble and I wanna be supportive." Which is it?

• That's awful and being broke has nothing to do with it. He had plenty of time to prepare for this and to make it right. Unacceptable

• The hand writing is on the wall I read more of your thread. Find a new boyfriend for yourself

• Tell him

• This is a reason I have a $50 dollar gift policy. Makes life all that simpler. Do we all have debts and money issues? Yep, still could have taken you out for dinner which would be $50 at best for two given how cheap US restaurants/pubs/bars are compared to fucking Canada

• Well if he's poor, then there's not much he can do.

• He's not completely broke. Just struggling with money just like me. Yet I still spent a lot on him. I'm not asking for something expensive, flowers or a card would be sufficient

• He's probably not the guy for you. Find a guy who gives gifts

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 0