Am I a sellout black person?

I'm a black man who's in love with this white girl who has a racist family. Her grandpa is a former KKK member. He used to be part of the Georgia Knight Ryder's!

she's says she's really in love with me. She treats me really nice. She's perfect in every way. This is the only thing wrong with our relationship. Should I just walk away? Or should I stay and try make it work?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't call you a "sellout black person". That's just pointless self-cruelty to label yourself like that.

I would say that you sound like a black man who's taking your life in the wrong direction. She's already less likely to truly understand you and connect/relate with you on certain issues because she's white and she doesn't know what it's like to exist as the minority. When a black person dates a white person, there's always the risk that given their family member or friend gets beat up or shot by a cop, the white person will say, "Well... what's the whole story? We don't know the facts." or if you come home and vent over a racist situation, they may say..."Are you sure you're not just race baiting? Why bring race into it?" Because your average white person does not experience racism in the forms that a black person will, they'll try to pretend it's not real. She may not see why you need to have "the talk" with your teenage mixed son, who might look black. There's already that but add onto it that her family is racist?

Probably best to walk away from the situation before it gets anymore messy and emotionally demanding.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you are a 'sell-out' in any way? Why do you ask that? You sound like a good man, with a good woman, but there are family issues!!
    I can't IMAGINE the kind of sht you might be facing with her family, but how will things change, without people like you, standing up, and being you, and showing the HATERS that the stereotypes, and blind hatred, and racism is just wrong!!
    It will take a lot of effort, I can imagine, before you get through to them!!
    Make it work, and focus on getting to know the ones in her family that are more open, and accepting!! Not all Whites hate Blacks, and all those old stereotypes are just BS. Get to know momma, and Grandma, and some of the ladies. In time, they will work on the hater's like grandpa. Women have a lot of power over the men in the family.
    Don't let them taunt you into arguments, and sometimes you might need to just respect her, and yourself, and walk away, rather than fight with some of the more 'ignorant' ones in the family.
    A lot of people, black and white, have hater's in the family. The only way to get over this racial BS is to just take one little step at a time, and walk away from arguments you can't win. As the older ones die, the younger generations are more and more accepting, and things will change. It just takes time, and patience!

What Girls Said 7

• Personally, I couldn't be with someone who's family was not accepting of me. It would just make me feel uncomfortable and insecure in the relationship.

But, you're an adult who can make your own decisions about who you do and don't date. If you think you can turn a blind eye to it, then try and make it work. If not, save yourself the pain and cut things short now.

• Try to make it work. Her granddad will probably pass away soon anyway and she clearly doesn't have the same beliefs as him.

• His views do not reflect her own.

Now if SHE felt like that then, yes, you'd be a sellout.

But I wouldn't worry so much. He's from a different generation.

• I would be scared as hell to even continue the relationship..

• Ew Id run. Who wants to be art of a family like that

• OMG... I'd fear for my safety if I was you. No you're not a sellout (coon) as long as you don't shit on your race and see whites as saviors...

• date her. she's clearly smarter than her family and kkk is a joke. it's nothing but old white rednecks.

What Guys Said 7

• Do you really want to hudge her based on qctuons she didn't do and isn't responsible for? You can't controll what pthers do so why should she pay for the sins of another? The idea that you are a "sellout" for being involved with someone who is white is a bad mentality. Mentalities like that keep people separated

• If she promises never to make u two meet...

I mean he's gotta die one day lmao

And also just saying, you're in love.

• You sold out bro... true story...

• Try and make it work its bout you and her not her fam or yours but when its bout time for serious stuff this might backfire on ya

• This is a made up story.

• Yes you are.

• You probably aren't