Girls, Thoughts on Online Relationships?

I'm currently at a point in my life where I'm not meeting many girls organically so have considered looking to start a relationship online as it may be easier to find someone. I would go to meet them if possible after I've started but I still don't know if this is a good idea.

What's everyone's thoughts? And does anyone have any experience?

20

Most Helpful Girl

• There's a difference between o king dating as a means of meeting people in your area, and online relationships. I assume you mean the former?

Just look at it as one more Avenue to meet potential dates. Don't get your hopes up but don't completely disregard the possibility of finding someone wonderful. Doesn't hurt to make a profile on a site or two and just see what happens. Look at profiles and send messages in your spare time.

What Girls Said 19

• All of my siblings and I found our partners online. Mine was Facebook, so I had met with him before but we were ten then. I highly recommend it! I think it is a great way to connect with others especially if you are shy. That's what I am doing here.

• i found my boyfriend/future husband online. we've been together for almost 2 years, and marriage is definitely in our future.

i went into the whole online thing with low expectations and was just looking to keep things very casual. but, when he contacted me, we ended up clicking to the point that i actually saw long-term potential.

his first message to me was friendly and sweet~ he didn't abuse the English language, and he pointed out things we had in common (which showed me that he actually took the time to read my profile and cared about getting to know me as a person). we talked through the site for a month before finally meeting in person, and we've been inseparable ever since. :) <3

you may have to sift through mountains of shit to find your diamond. but i assure you that it's worth it.

• I went through 2 online relationships.
    and there are some things you REALLY need to consider in it so that it would work.
    1- if the distance is far and you won't be able to see her constantly or at least once every 6 months... Then DO NOT get in that relationship. Trust me, the distance is a bigger problem than what you think.. It was the reason of the failure in my second online relationship.

2- Trust. If any of you doesn't trust the other then just end it right away.

3- Dont believe everything you see. Skype is gonna be your best friend here xD

and I don't know, like those are important, the other things I guess are the typical things of online dating. Its tougher than real life relationships but its not impossible. Everything is possible. Just be careful about the distance like how I said. You dont want to get attached to her and then be "obligated" to leave her coz it won't work due to the distance... And if you have any more questions about it, you can feel free to ask me :)

• I do. I met a guy on fb (through mutual friends) However, I seriously say this with such honesty- talking with someone online, seeing their photos, and getting to know their online personality, in some cases, is NOT who that person truly is in real life.

I had this happen. He seemed decent, kind, funny guy. I went on one date with him, we got coffee and talked about everything from school to interests. I was fairly happy to how this date went. Things took a turn for the worse however, and this "nice guy" started harassing me with messages on fb, emails, even texts. He changed his status on fb to "in a relationship" after our first date / the first time he met me. It creeped me out, and things just got worse from there. He started stalking me, watching me at work, I had to get the managers from the store and everyone else involved. One date with a nice guy, turned into this huge thing.

Just be careful, cautious, and please when meeting anyone do it in a public place. Online relationships can definitely work, just be leery when first meeting and getting to know that person, find out who they truly are before getting into anything serious.

Best of luck. :)

• I've been in a few LDR's and they've all lasted longer and been better than any in person relationships that I've had. They are difficult, but certainly worth it for the right person.

I in general haven't had any luck with super long term, but, I'm not giving up.

I say go for it. :)

• It gets tough and trust is put to the test.. Try and see. I think it can be also sweet too though, because you post a lot more and have computer dates. But just like any relationship keep your sense

• I'm kinda sorta in one. It's not common and not easy. I'd only do it if the person was worth it

• in my opinion, you can try to find a girl online, hard as it sounds. But before you guys meet up, it is and will never be a "relationship"

• Well, I think it's a bad idea. Many people lie online. And you need to see if you can meet them in real life.
    But if you're not able to meet girls in your area and you want to try it, then go forward.

• I'm saving it as a last resort, probably after I graduate college and get a job and still haven't found someone. Cuz what if I meet an amazing guy like destiny and I'm already tied down in an online relationship?
    For example, I liked a guy but he had an online long distance girlfriend. He said he did it as a last resort cuz nobody liked him, but if he waited a little longer he could have had ME but nooo he had to give up too soon. 😑

• They are pointless.

• Fake existence with an inevitable doom.

• You are 19 years old and you have given up on meeting girls? That is ridiculous. I cannot answer your question unless you provide a long detailed reason why you cannot meet girls in real life. My initial feeling is that is a copout

• Not real, they basically fade away after some time of knowing each other.

• an online relationship or to meet a girl online?

• I don't trust online relationships. I'm not going to waste my time on someone pretending to be someone else.
    But as long as you meet them in person I think it should be fine.

• Just lol @ them

• I dont believe.
    But friendship can be establish.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more