Who do you think should pay on a date?

Who do you think should on a date?

Explain your opinion.

• Men
  • Women
  • Split the check

Most Helpful Guy

• The one who asks for the first date. After that, either split or each one pays their part.

Most Helpful Girl

• Split the bill, each of you pay for your own food, or take turns paying.

What Guys Said 53

• I think you should ask for separate checks and pay your own share.

• Going dutch makes the most sense in the beginning. But that's just me since I had developed trust issues from past bad experiences with people in general, including people whom I really thought were my "friends".

I had a few people fucked me over in the past by paying and putting a bigger tip such as 25% or even 30% using their credit card and then ask me to pay them back in cash by splitting that total amount with the big tip on the bill in half.

Meaning they end up making some money pulling this on me and I end up paying more than I would have for my own order. Until I know for certain I can trust the other person to not pull shit like that on me, I would ALWAYS want to have split checks, so we both clearly know how much we want to tip or even if we don't want to tip and nobody owes each other anything or accuses each other of trying to rip the other person off. Otherwise I won't bother going to dine out with anyone and just ignore them completely.

Either way the point is I absolutely NEED to have control over the tipping process, due to my currently developed trust issues. And unless there is Absolutely no tipping involved for the bill like at a fast food restaurant, etc., then I guess it's not that big of a deal, regardless, and I could be the one to cover the bill at the end, and the other person don't owe me anything.

• Each should pay for their own stuff. Why is this so complicated? Pick whatever you want and pay for it. This way nobody has false expectations or feels like they owe anything.
    Splitting the check always makes someone unhappy, what's the purpose of that?
    I love how the girl bitches about having to pay 50/50 when she probably expected him to pay for everything.

• I never understood in either. this isn't rocket science when you go out with friends, why is it so hard when you date?

• In a case like that first date I would probably favour an option D of pay for your own. If the cost for both was roughly similar split it. In dating itself, I would encourage taking turns then you can arrange dates to suit your income. I don't believe in either gender having to pay full bill if that was a rule, what do gay people do?

• If it's the first date, whomever asked should pay for both of them.

• I think you should pay for your half. Whatever you order you pay for. That's what I believe.

• Lol the guy she went on a date with,
    Thug Life
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ░░░░░ ░░░░▀█▄▀▄▀██████░▀█▄▀▄▀████▀ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░▀█▄█▄███▀░░░▀██▄█▄█▀

Each person should pay their share of the bill, it should not even be a question. By far the WORST way is pretending to "offer" but letting him/her pay, like if your going to be a prostitute and/or have no respect for your date at least be honest about it.

• Well at least it shows you how it feels to be used for money on a small scale. You get to walk in like 1 sock of most men's life for a few few minutes. Try on both shoes and see how it feels. :D Think about if men felt entitled to you paying for them all the time at every venue. Think about them sizing you up for marriage to see how many years they can take away from your hard work on your career if they feel it isn't working out. You can't even manage to pay for half his meal one time let alone all of it every time... Sucks right... So if you don't like it don't do it to men. Volenteer up front to pay for what you ordered, your own tickets, etc. That is the just response... We're all adults... Treating each other is good but why should he treat you when you're already fighting over money on the first date?

• This is tough because my ex got FREAKING PISSED that I had not payed for everything when she never mentioned she wanted me to until 4 months in and most college couples just take turns or split.

Personally I say that if both partners are working, and you think women can actually take care of themselves now, it's best to just take turns. He pays for a date or two, then she pays. If one partner makes a lot more money or doesn't have a job, that affects things. And young adults who are already struggling with bills should do the most work possible to keep the dates cheap and evenly cost.

• The waiter should pay for their dates or the waitress cause you spend so much time looking good to eat at their place you both should get free meals derka derka. Either that or do a dine and dash lol.

• lmao, I was going to say the same thing. It would be nice if the waiter/waitress paid so people would stop arguing about this.

• @ChromAzonyx108 Lol exactly bro I should be a philosophy master. Either that or dine and dash stealing is a good thing lol.

• it may be old fashioned so bite me but i always pay... last date i was on she suggested we went halves so when she went to the bathroom i paid the bill. got to say... what a great fuck she was that night ;)

• Me, my reason? I'm old fashioned and it's the way I was raised, but I always bring enough cash with me on a date to cover anything and everything just about. And I often times like to do cheap or inexpensiveness but really fun or interesting stuff.

• Splitting the check doesn't have to be 50/50 . If there's a big cost difference it can be that you each pay for your meals.

• Pay for yourself... It's actually fucking stupid how some people still always expect the men to pay. Like... If a girl wants me to pay all the time I'll just date someone else.

It's gotta be a mutual effort.

• Splitting is best... to avoid giving the other the feeling he or she is "for sale" through an expensive dinner :o

• I always offer to pay because I think it's the polite thing to do but I would be ok with splitting the check or letting her pay occasionally

• You should pay for me missy 😁

• Mood, sorry

• No, because I'm pretty sure you're voting for Trump lol

• Lol yes I am but I wouldn't mind our little walk in the sand

• She's one big can of boner mace haha. Ehh if someone asks you out it's kind of their problem. Splitting seems easier. I'm not spending 50$ on a girl I may not like at all or never see again.

• $50 on a first date, jeez that's an expensive first date.

• i think you should come to that agreement together, as a rule, i'd attempt to pay on the first date, but since i've never been on a date, it's pretty hard to pull in experience here.

• Split the check... by paying for your own spendings

• I don't have an opinion. I always pay. Date , meeting, or whatever else, I always pay.

• I think they should split it. I mean women say they are equal, so why leave this as an exception? I don't buy the "whoever asks on a date pays" because let's be honest. How many women actually approach and ask guys out?

• Honestly, I don't care. If she wants a pissing contest to prove her dicks bigger than mine, by all means get the check. If not, I'll pay. It's a date not house, so what's $20 or so bucks?

• split
    it always needs two for a date. one asking out, one accepting. if both are interested, then not why split the bill?

if I'm the one asking out then I wouldn't ask her to pay if she doesn't offer, but it's what I would consider fair

• Lol I honestly pay for whoever I go with, Bros or chick i m rawing but it's not be gentleman or shit my mom's hella rich and I like to rub it on people face so I jusr do it to rub on em baha

• Everyone pays for his food like if I ate 20 dollars chicken and she ate 10 dollar steak everyone pays for his food

• i pressed her on the survey but id pay haha. i mean I'm not like "NO! I MAN, YOU WOMAN! ME PAY!" ill pay, its whatever. if she wants to pay then its whatever haha

• I think it's about time women contributed something in dating scene for a change besides slapping on makeup and looking pretty instead of men having to do all work... wouldn't you agree?

• I agree completely that women should pay for their share, but to suggest that women have traditionally done nothing for their relationships is pretty offensive. Men used to pay for dates because women were not the breadwinners, but they WERE expected to cook, clean, and raise the children, all while looking pretty and appearing as a cheerful, picture-perfect, obedient wife. So yes, times are changing, and women need to pull their weight financially in the dating scene. I am with you on that 100%. But do not for one second pretend that these gender roles hail from an era where women were responsible for nothing other than applying lipstick. That was not the way it worked.

• As a guy I'd like to pay, but if she really insists then we can split the bill. Also, if she orders something really expensive just to leech off, I'd rather split xD

• Why y'all people so st00pid lel. Being a female doesn't make u anything special cuz were all created equally. We have hands, ass, legs and all dat shiz to take care of ourselves. If u can't take care of urself, i would jump off the Golden Gate Bridge alrdy 🙌🏼

• More from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 46

• The first date should be paid for by the man. A lady should offer and be ready to pay but should expect the man to pay. As the relationship progresses the date changes. The best rule of thumb is that the person who planned the date should be ready to pay for the entire thing. It's not fair if someone sets up a date that is too much for the other person to afford but expects the other person to cover the costs.

• I was always taught that there are things a man should do for a woman. Paying is one of them. It just shows care and compassion to the fairer sex. However in this day and age I think everyone paying for their own meal (NOT SPLITTING CHECK 50/50) would also be acceptable. However another good point is if the guy asks a girl on a date and it's just a pity date from my side or vice versa what then. It's a difficult question it's easier just if the guy pays unless he really is broke then he should be finding a better job not going on dates.

• damn. i didn't vote.

look, i dont think there should be a rule. there are people who insist to pay every time. there are people who would prefer to split. there are people who prefer to just pay for their bit [which is what i personally think should have happened in this case]. it all depends on the person. but how dare someone 'demand' to split when he clearly is paying much more? the meals aren't remotely close in cost.

• In this scenario I think the man should pay for the meal since his food cost more. However, if you're taking turns paying for the meals then it's more fair if you split the check. Or if you pay for the food and he pays for the activity. I think if you really are into each other, money shouldn't be a matter..

• Whoever asks the person out.

She asks him? She pays.
    He asks her? He pays.

Or y'all could split, but aside from splitting the bill... that's how it should go.

• Men... i dont try to claim feminism or anything, but a man paying is showing me he can provide. That said im not a complete jerk, if he's a really nice guy and i liked him but he wasn't doing so good financially i would offer to pay although i would count that as a bad thing but i can look over it.

• Whoever asks the other person out should pay. If I ask a man on a date, I'm "taking him out" and it therefore should be expected that I pay. However, I always offer to pay even if I'm the one that was asked.

• No one. We need common ownership of the means of production!

• She should have to pay for what she ate

• I think the man's second cousin should pay for two sevenths of the meal, the guy sleeping in his car outside of the restaurant because his mom threw him out should pay the remaining ten fourteenths.

• I think each party should pay their own part, unless they took almost the same thing, then they can split the bill. Of course if one party offers to pay for the whole date, then it's polite to accept but it's rude to take the most expensive item on the menu, since you're not paying.

• The first date should be the guy. Not because he has to, but because he wants to. I will always offer to pay my part but they always insist on paying the check. If i was not interested in seeing him again, i would fight it more. However, if i like him, ill let him pay and hopefully ill get the chance to pay for something else.

• Pay for your own stuff.

My own exception is if one of them is more wealthy and invited the other to an expensive restaurent. Then that person should pay (or accept to go to a less expensive place).

• The man. For so many reasons.
    Primary of which is that the woman in most cases spent more time and money on her appearance to appease men's visual senses. So it's only fair the man spend money to appease the woman's gustatory senses.

• Why would any man pay to compensate you for you lying about who you are? You owe him some compensation just for being deceitful.

• Lol. I always find it funny how women always dress for themselves. But then they say men should pay for the dates because she spends so much money looking nice for him. Just lol 😂

• @ihatethiswebsite ikr lol

• Just pay for your own shit.

• Men, because that's what I like.
    So, it goes like, I pay or he pays. But I hate the idea of splitting check. How is that a date? We are not roommates.

• Split it and be done with it.
    I can't believe such a high percentage of women believe the men should pay tbh.

• I'm surprised that so many have an issue with paying for what they ordered and ate. Who would complain about paying for what they ate right? Lol

• @ihatethiswebsite That's cool too, I don't see a problem with that either.

• It depends who asked who out. If he asked you out, he pays the check. I've had that happened to me as I watched my date run up a bill that was extravagant compared to my addition. He then said, "well we've got a split the check as this is very high."
    I got up and I walked out of the restaurant and that's a true story. No you should not have split the check and should have resisted as best you could at the time. By the way I'd never take the guy again

• Don't split the check unless you're in a long term relationship and practically share economy. I believe the one to ask the other out should pay, so if you can't afford to pay for dinner for two don't invite someone to some fancy restaurant.

• Split the cost hands down.
    Unless its his birthday or something and he wants to treat me.

• Men for the first date. After that you can split or someone else can pay. It depends on the person really.

• Splitting makes more sense and that way nobody has to ask about who is going to pay.

• The one that invites should pay.

• Whomever asked. "Hey let me take you out to dinner" usually means "let me treat you with dinner" So whomever that is (and usually it's men who ask) should pay.

• He is stingy!!

• I think the man should, but that was just how I was raised

• I always only pay for what I eat and drink not his part on a first date

• Either he should of paid or you both pay for your own food.

• Hell no. He's paying his stuff.

• talk about it b4. or just pay for yourself.

• More from Girls
    16