What's it like dating someone significantly shorter (or taller) than you? Is it weird/difficult in any way?

I went on a date with this girl today who is 5'1 and I'm 5'11. I knew she was really short but I didn't realise how much lol. It felt really awkward hugging her at the end (I was actually going to give her a peck on the cheek but she was really shy and literally turned her head away b4 I had a chance!).

The date was otherwise pretty good and I kind of wanna see her again, but I don't know if her lack of height bothers me or not. Literally felt like I had to squat down to reach her. Like if I was her boyfriend and gonna kiss her, pretty sure I'd just grab her and pull her up to my lvl!

Help me out guys/girls!

2nd date we'll be sitting down mostly, we're going to a pub... and cuddles has been suggested unsubtlely haha so we should get more used to getting closer and hugging ☺

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 5'2 and my boyfriend's 6'0 so yeah, we have a 10 inch height difference which isn't as much as other couples but I feel is pretty significant? I enjoy being with him and sometimes him being significantly taller than me is nice. I like that he can come up behind me and put his chin directly on top of my head or that I can slot perfectly underneath him when we hug. I like that it works out pretty well when I'm little spoon (though being big spoon is pretty hilarious for me :P ) and I like that he can reach things for me so I don't have to climb things constantly.

However, the difference means that if we're both standing straight, we can't kiss because there's no way that I can reach, so he either has to lean down quite a bit or I have to stand on something. He also quite likes lording his height over me and using it to his advantage so he has a habit of hiding good food up on top of the cupboards where I can't reach without climbing up onto there :P

• Haha sounds cute. I'm getting from some people that the shorter person slotting into the taller person makes for awesome cuddles!

Most Helpful Guy

• At first it feels weird kind of like dating a tall stuffed animal. lol when she threatens me I sometimes want to giggle.
    The part I don't like granted I'm not dating her yet. I'm still working on my way out of the freindzone after getting out of being just another one of the girls.
    The part I don't like is that when she is close to you or hugging you. I can't look into her eyes unless she is looking at mine. Usually I'm just looking down at her hair. When she gives me a goodbye hug. I can easily rest my chin on her head. Is it difficult being with her no not really. All my female freinds are short so I'm used to see what the weather is like and getting stuff from the top shelf in a store.- Their short I'm average 5'9but I'm still the shortest of my guy friends.
    When we hug her body fits real close to mine like a two puzzel pieces. The only sad part is that her boobs are so big that she can't easily hug me straight on so we usually hug at an angle.
    When we sit down were almost the same size so when your seated with her you won't even notice how short she is.
    The only problem I could think of is in bed during 69.

• Yeah ok, that's probably why it felt weird to me cause when we hugged it was like we weren't really looking at each other. So hugging is real nice then? She did say she loves hugs, thinks they're better than kissing. Maybe I understand why now. Well sex is looking a bit far yet haha

• Remember to go down to her level every once in a while. Like spend more time sitting than standing on a date with her.

• Yeah we going to be sitting down mostly on our next date, going to a pub on Friday to watch footy (the weird Aussy kind haha)

What Girls Said 16

• I'm 5'2" and I once dated a guy who was 6'2". At the time I was dating him I was actually 5'1", haha. Anyway, it was awkward and super uncomfortable most of the time. My neck hurt a lot from always having to look up at him. Cuddling was hard sometimes. Kissing was even harder, haha. Hugging was also really weird feeling... I mean, we made it work, but it definitely was not easy.

My most recent ex as 6'0". I always had to stand on my tip-toes to kiss him or he'd have to lean down. I liked his height though. The 2" difference was actually quite noticeable and it was a lot easier (height-wise) dating him. Hugging him didn't feel weird or awkward. I still had to look up at him, but it was definitely less of a strain. Still, doing more intimate things required a little more... finesse than it would if we were closer in height range.

• Oh, forgot to add, it was really fun with my ex when I would make him be shorter than me by standing on top of something and towering over him. When we'd dance, he'd also let me stand on his feet while leading me, haha.

Don't not date someone because of height. That is honestly the stupidest thing ever. No offense. But it is. I mean, if you like the girl so what if it's a little uncomfortable to hug at first? If anything it'll just be something to laugh about later on when you get further into the relationship. You'll get into the groove of things eventually. If you have the right chemistry and are a good match, it shouldn't be a problem. I never knew it was so weird to date someone a heck of a lot taller or shorter than you (objectively). It's just height. Don't worry about it so much. :)

Yeah fair call, its actually probably got its benefits it just felt weird at first. Now though, its actually really cute when she snuggles up to me, just fits in nicely to my body ☺

• I can give my opinion since I'm 5ft2 and my boyfriend is 6ft2.
    I must say that I love everything about our heigh difference.

Though you ask thing that can be difficult. The only problem can be kissing or intimate things while standing. We can kiss like that but not for 15 minutes. Intimacy standing is not really possible and I can't put my arms around his neck when we de dance, I put them on his chest.

Though, him being tall is awesome :)

• Cool thanks, this is the sort of answer i was looking for :) So what's it like kissing him?

• Damn, ok you're making me want to have an epic cuddle sesh with her now haha!

• See, it definitely won't be a problem :)

• I dated a guy that was 6ft6 and Im 6ft5. It was tough at first but you kind of get the hang of it. You gotta figure out what works for you guys just like any other relationship.

Sex is a teeny bit tricky as much as I liked his chest I didn't want to be smothered by it and oral was... yea that was... special. No knees for that one unless he was sitting down.
    Just play it by ear and figure it out on the fly.

• Do you mean ur 5'5?

Hmmm, yeah i can see how sex could be a different experience. But I'm a virgin so I dont have a reference for that yet haha

• Haha yea I'm only 5ft5. Oops. 😜

• I didn't find it difficult at all. My last boyfriend was 5 ft 9 and I'm 5 ft 1, we made that work. A lot of the guys I've dated have been mostly 5 ft 9 to 6 ft 2 and at first, I'll admit it felt weird because id always haha be staring upwards to look at them, but then I got over that general awkwardness and it was okay. There's been a lot of bending or tippy toe standing for me, but it's fine.

• Glad you looked upwards at least, this girl didn't which made it feel weird haha. Hope it gets better

• I don't think that is a huge difference at all
    if the type od your bodies go together is more important
    but things like that shouldn't be deal breakers
    also I think she slouched a lot, if she was on hear tip toes and raise her head I think you'd see it wouldn't be that hard to kiss her

• She wasn't slouching. She probably wasn't on her tip toes either, and lifting her head. She probably came up to about my chin. Maybe it just takes time to get used to her?

• Haha sounds fun ☺
      Free piggy back rides right!

• I'm only 4'10, and I absolutely love a man who is taller. It makes me feel safe and secure, as well as submissive. Some short women are quite dominant, but I prefer much larger guys. It's also more attractive when you can literally just lift us up, basically being fully in control. That's just my preference, which might be different if I was taller. Some things can be an issue though, such as shower sex (I have zero sexual experience by the way), and if you find it difficult to kiss someone who is much lower than you.

• Yeah thats the thing, i dont want to bend down to kiss/hug all the time! But lifting her up sounds sexy af 😆

• Seeing that my dad is 5'10" and mom is 5'2" and they have no issue with the height difference, I can't see why a relationship like that wouldn't work out.

• I'm not suggesting it can't work, it just felt weird to me. Maybe cause my last few dates the girls were no more than 3 inches shorter.

• You will get used to it if you want to.

• I like it. I think it's hot

• I can imagine its super cute for cuddling but just felt really weird like she was a midget! Just tiny girl, but very cute

• Well I'm a short girl to begin with only 5'1. So I definitely don't want bc anyone shorter than me. I even feel like my baby dad who is 5'9 is short for my taste. I date men 6 ft and they say that I'm "fun sized"

• that is the same as me and my boyfriend and it doesn't affect us

• I stand at a whole almost 5'3" so just about everyone is significantly taller than me. It's all good.

• I am 5'3 and I always dated taller, but the guys seemed to love it

• Why do u think they loved it? Feeling more masculine cause of height difference?

• I was always petite girls were cute, and the fact that our outfits and heels makes it fun because today we are 5'8 and tomorrow I may be 5'6

• I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6'4"... it as sooo weird at first took a lot of getting used to but now it's nothing. I don't even think about it. You get used to it and fast-lol. We've been together for 13years now.

• I'm her height, I've dated guys your height. I agree that it can be awkward to hug sometimes, but usually, once you tried it a couple of times you both find your perfect spot where she just fits into your body lol if that makes any sense...

• Well my ex was 6' and im 5'2... about the same diff as you and ur date. I always liked that he was a lot taller. Hed always pick on me about it. The awkwardness goes away when the two of you get more comfortable with each other. Once you get to know her you can pick on her about it.. pat her on the top of the head... offer to get a stroller for her... try to get her kids tickets at movie theatres.

• Haha thats hilarious! Yeah we've already been cracking jokes about it lol

• He would just pick me up a lot. He really liked that i would stand on my tippy toes to try to kiss him. Other people would comment about how cute it was. So really the height difference is just noticeable and awkward right now. If the two if you click it really has some nice perks to it and those awkward moments you experience today literally just disappear.

• Here's hoping. Could also explain why she was a bit shy. Hopes she exudes a bit more self confidence when we next meet.

• Does seven inches count as significantly taller? I love dating someone who's significantly taller than me even if it's more than seven inches. It's rare but I love it. I like to look up to him and he's strong enough to pull me up :)

• Yup the guy is literally looking down at the top of her head/hair when she is next to him or hugging him.

• I think that's about the height difference I like or can handle, but I may be biased cause had the best date of my life with a girl that was about 5'3, 5'4

What Guys Said 3

• I had a girl that was 5'10" and it didn't bother me or her at all she looked good. And was super fun i put work on that pus lol

• So are u the shorter one here?

• Well the key is the height difference and how it feels hugging, kissing etc. I'm fine with a girl being taller than me if its only a few inches. Shorter guys would have to deal with that when girls start rocking their 5 inch heels haha

• queue the "im ___ tall, and my SO is _____ tall" bullshit

• What do u mean? people bragging about their SO height?

• Well i couldn't give two shits about all that. It's like people that judge you on who you hang out with or date blah blah blah. I'm like so what?

• lol i know.. i feel you

• Honestly, I hate dating short women. I'm 6'1" and the shortest I'd go is probably around 5'8". I've dated a few short girls before and I didn't like it. I felt like I was dating a child.

• Well 5 inches is ok, but i hear you. She did feel a bit like a child in my presence. And I"m not some tall, buffed up, cocky over confident guy. Well balanced is how i'd describe myself.