Should I give up my hobby for her?

I play video games a lot. My girlfriend sent me this quote from Facebook saying "when I grow up I want to marry a grown man who's addicted to video games. No one ever said that. It made me feel bad. When she is around I don't play them. I spend my time with her. When she's at work or at home I'll pay them then. She will ask me what I'm doing I'll say I'm playing video games. Many times I've stopped in a middle of a game just to make sure I don't miss a text or so she doesn't think I'm putting the game first. I don't know how many times we've video chatted and she's been on Facebook or doing something else. It bugs me so I tell and she still does it. I don't know what to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• Umm, no? Video games are fun! It just sounds like she's not really a fan of them. It's good that you put her before your video games and that you play them in your free time, but don't let her make you give them up! :0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have two PS3s, two PS2s, an Xbox, and about a dozen games from my buddies whose wives-to-be made them give them up as a condition of getting married. I consider it standard procedure at this point.

There are women, including those who are gamers themselves, who wouldn't mind, but you'd be surprised at how many "cool chicks" revert to the norm when its commit-or-else time.

The cynical take on it is, if you have money to spend on a hobby, you should be spending it on her. If you have time available, you should either be spending it on her, or working to acquire more money for her. The hobby itself may be virtually unintrusive, but it's what the hobby stands for that's the problem.

I have my own quite strong feelings on the matter, but only you know how much you value your hobby versus your relationship. Nor are we in position to really know how tolerant your girlfriend would be. Maybe you're the most awesome guy in the world and she will put up with it to stay with you. At some point the person you really need to be talking to about it is her.

What Girls Said 2

• Do you have a job or do you spend all day playing video games?

• It's nice that you made her your priority, you should be treated the same way. Talk to her openly about this. Also, you don't have to give up video games, you don't seem addicted to them, as long as you play in your free time is okay

What Guys Said 4

• Play video games when you're free , other than that it's not of her business, dude don't leave something you enjoy for sone bullshit of hers

• nope

• lots of older people still play video games and as this generation ages many will continue to play them as well. but they can take away from real life and maybe that's what she's noticing , your not paying attention to real life but these games instead

• Sounds like she needs to stop being a cunt. Tell her to wash the sand out of her vagina, it's making her cranky.