If you know your parents are strongly against a certain religion but you meet someone of that faith would you pursue it or stop before you get hooked?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would use my own rational and critical thinking and I would also pray for clarity on the subject from god and ask for his wisdom in determining whether or not it would be good or bad. Assuming I didn't flat out figure that out on my own as things like religions amerced in satanic worship or magic old world religions are bad and evil stuff.

But Islam I wouldn't be to sure on because after speaking with several of them on here I apparently learned that they worship the same God we do the only God but their views are a tad different and kind of go against parts we believe in and see as important. So I would still ask for the wisdom to determine the best course of action in that case. And it would also depend on the individual.

Really the only religions my parents and me for that matter are agaisnt are obviously agaisnt are the ones that threaten and go agaisnt what Christianity is and stands for. So pretty much all of them.

But in 90% of most cases I will not be with someone outside of my religion

Most Helpful Girl

• As somebody who have a close friend who has been in this situation before, it is not always a good idea to pursue it. Things can end up very badly if your dealing with a certain person. It can lead into dangerous domestic situation amongst family, you could be in a emotional and psychological abuse situation if they try to convert you into their religion or belief system. As a believer in Christ, I believe that people are at liberty to choose what they desire in life if they want to become a Christian or not. It is not my job to try to get anybody into anything they are against, but at the same time consider how different beliefs will impact my spiritual walk with God, and our relationship. Because where people think it just effects two people, it effects everyone around you on a broad spectrum. People will eventually take sides, and it can tear a family and relationship apart. So unless both parties are very mature about what they want and in their relationships, it can work. But it is always best to seek guidance from people who have sound judgement and is not afraid to tell you 'no' in decisions where you are wrong. That is a true friend and family that loves you.

However it is wise to know ahead of time what you are getting into, or it will be extremely hard to get out of it. In the end you have to make critical decisions.

What Guys Said 21

• We're atheists. Our son will marry a not very pious RC woman, that's clear now. They already have a kid and a house. His choice. She's a good girl thus I don't even speak about religion. Our granddaughter will be brainwashed by her mom's
    religion, that's clear. :-(

He's old enough to make his choices.

• My parents aren't "strongly against" any religion (at least not that I know of). Even so, they know that I would make my own decisions. They would trust me to know what I need to know before making that commitment. Even so, if they did have serious concerns, they would not be shy about telling me how they feel.

• I must admit that although it would not stop me from being friends I would hesitate to have a relationship if there were large cultural differences. It could be related to religion but not necessarrily.
    It would probably not be the will of my parents that would stop me, rather common sense.

• Your parents are likely way smarter than you, it's in your best interest to listen to them.

• I would pursue BUT I would most likely not do it if they are actually religious. I prefer someone who's not a believer. But my parents should not matter in this regard - I'm dating this person, not them.

• Hey, if it doesn't get in the way of your lifestyle and you really like them, you should pursue it.

• I'll try my best.. as long as they aren't muslim. But I'd not date a religious muslim anyway.. so

• i would stop and listen to my parents because they know whats better for me and they have more experience in life than i do

• i wouldn't let my parents beliefs regarding something that is in reality harmless to me and my relationship dictate if i will be with them or not

• 1. it's non of their business
    2. are we talking about the one I think we talk about? -_-

• Well it's my life my choices , not thier lives not thier choices they already made thiers

• My parents are quite open minded, tho might question me dating a scientologist

• i would do it secretly.

• My parents have never had a say in who I find attractive.

• Definitely I will pursue her.

• You gotta step out of your parents shadow some time. Up to you when that is

• My parents seem to be against any religion except of theirs, which is too weird to consider.

• Depends on who calls the shots, I guess.
    Once you get a taste of that good heathen d*ck, You're a junkie for life :o

• Nope I am not going to pursue.

• I don't really understand how or why my parents are relevant to who I date, but either way, if I met someone religious, I would never want to date them.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 20

• I'd be reluctant to date or marry outside of the religion. I would want my mate to believe the same things I do. I could marry an atheist as long as he didn't mind my going to church. It's not my parents' opinion that matters really, but mine.

• My parents have no sway in who I date, but for reference I don't tend to date religious people. Not practicing ones anyway.

• Well considering I'm not religious I wouldn't care. And I would expect my parents to just want me to be happy with whoever I happen to fall in love with regardless of religion.

• I would pursue it. My parents are basically against me being with anyone who isn't a Christian or agnostic white man. If I really like someone, I would attempt not to care about what y parents think.

• Pursue 100%.

My mother doesn't care. My grandfather is an atheist, STRONGLY opinionated atheist.

- - That wouldn't stop me. If I like someone, I'm going after them! - Men beware!

Rawr.. XD

• I'd listen to them. I believe they know better than me but again, I mostly agree with their view so I don't have much problem with this issue. I am not allowed to bring back men outside my religion. I suggest you to reconsider your parents thought and compare it with your view. Hopefully you'll make the best decision.

• So, in other words, yr Tinder boy is Muslim?

Just a wild guess...

• Yea 😂😂😂😂

• Um... explain that to me like I'm nine years old?

• Pursue it. Most religions they're against, I am, too. I would never date a Muslim or a Buddhist or something like that. Can't get with their lifestyles, I don't care how awesome the person is. But any Christian denomination, Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, yes, I could do it.

• My parents aren't like that. They want to know the man I'm with has a good heart and character, and treats me well, but they don't care which faith he belongs to, or even if he doesn't believe in any religion at all.

• Hey guys :-)
    Im currently in a 16 month relationship with a muslim guy.
    And im not going to deny that it's difficult.
    The difficulty I have with the relationship is not him... But the issues of other people.
    My best friends have called me names such as that im better off finding someone else or that I must love isis.
    I haven't told my father of the reaktionship yes as I KNOW he will dissaprove of it. I once dated someone many years ago that had a different branch of Christianity faith than myself and it was hell on earth for me.
    Im 28 and he's 31.
    My mother is always telling me things like oh "that guy you went to school with is single" etc but I know she's coming around to the idea.
    Im not telling you what to do but parents only have your best intetest at heart as do mine x

• I tend to go with my own way of thinking and not my parents. They are usually supportive of my choices and are open minded. If for whatever reason they dislike the guy because of his religion (and I'm not a religious person, by the way) then that would be disappointing but if I love him, I'll be with him.

• No, I share views on religions with my mom so if she said no I probably would not want to pursue a relationship anyways.

• I would still date that person.

• My parents aren't strongly against any religion other than Satanism. They would be okay with me bringing home any person that makes me happy and loves me.

• I would pursue it. this is a free country

• i would pursue it still.

• Pursue it. I don't care what my parents think.

• I would stop it immediately and I have before.

• My parents are against Christianity but I have dated Christian men. They are also against Islam but I don't hate date Muslim men because I'm against Islam as well.
    It depends on my preferences not my parents.

• I'm a Muslim and according to Islam I'm not suppose to marry someone outside my religion because I'm a woman. However, my dad, being the Muslim one, is not against people of a certain religion. My mom isn't either (she's not religious). My parents don't care about the religion of the person I date.

Even if my parents were against a certain religion, that will not stop me from dating whoever I want. My faith is my faith. I'm the one dating the person, not my parents. I don't plan to pass on my religion to my children (because Islam doesn't pass through the mom). The children should decide their religion after they are grown.