When is a good time to start dating again after breakup?

My boyfriend and I had a very intense relationship, and he broke up with me last week. I was extremely hurt, but the heartlessness about the way he did it made me realize he was never the right person for me. I am bouncing back from this breakup pretty quickly, as I am somewhat relieved it is over. I do not plan on dating super soon, I need time to heal. But there is someone that I do kind of have in mind for the future.

This guy I used to work with messages me on facebook asking me out last winter, but because I was with my boyfriend I said no. I always told myself if I was single again, I would reach out to him to see if he was seeing anyone, because he seems like an interesting person.

I am afraid the longer I wait, the more likely it is that he will be with someone (because it was 7 months ago that he initially asked me out...). How long is a normal amount of time to stay single before dating again?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly your moving on graciously. Yeah it fucking sucks that you broke up but you new he want the right guy. Honestly I'd hit up this other dude up and tell him whats up. Maybe not go out but just conversation. Ain't nothing wrong with that you do need some time to heal and I don't recommend jumping from on relationship to the next but nothing wrong with you messaging this guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, when you feel ready to move on you'll know that time. Obviously letting him know that you fancy him but you just broke up recently with an ex and you need time to heal to be ok with moving on with him would be a good idea. That way he knows you have an interest in him, but you're emotionally unhealthy at this stage, but a future together will be possible, once you feel better overall.

What Guys Said 7

• There is no time limit. It's when you're 100% healed

• You need to give yourself time to heal first. Don't rush into anything new because you are in a vulnerable state. You may make decisions that you later realize you shouldn't have. Just give yourself time.

• Anytime it feels right. Your mind and body... your life stages will determine what you need. You will just know when. Could be fast or slow

• The general rule is half of however long you were with them.

• About ten minutes

• take some time off and do your own thing when you least expect it you will be dating again you can put a number or month or year to it bc thats not how it works but sooner or later you will have someone good luck

• As soon as the door hits them in the ass.

What Girls Said 12

• When you have already moved on, and your prepared to deal with another relationship. But definitely not less than two months. Too soon and you could be heading for trouble with a new relationship, because your still hurt and upset over your ex.

• When you feel that you are ready, go for it! No one should tell you that oh you need to wait this much long or your a slut, nope this is all up to you.

• If you want to reach out to him, do it. You might not get another intense relationship out of it, but I think talking to him will help you heal. Just relax and do what feels right to you.

• When you think you can be with someone else without constantly thinking about your ex

• Whenever you're ready for another relationship.

• Whenever you feel comfortable. Just be confident, honest, and sensible.

• There really is no limit to how long you should wait after a break up. If you really want to get to know this guy then message him asap. You know your ex was no good for you and that is the first step in any breakup. You can do better and deserve it so why not get out there and try?

• Whenever you feel ready and you found someone that you can date. There is no time limit. I started dating a month after my breakup and I would've still dated the new guy if I met him a week after the breakup.

• Whenever your ready? The people who are goign to have an opinion are going to have an opinion regardless. Just do whatever you beleive will work best for you.

• I think a year would be ok

• You start when you think you're ready, sometimes you think you are then discover a week into dating that really you're not. I was like that but I really liked the guy so I let him know that things were moving too fast, we slowed it down a bit and we are now coming up to our 1 year anniversary

• Right away!