From dating, to friends with benefits, to a truly beautiful friendship. How did that happen?

Girl meets boy, they date, become intimate, after a few months the man establishes that he loves this woman but values her friendship (but they continued to have sex). Then, sex was all of a sudden halted (guy is not seeing anyone) and the two become extremely close. Girl spends the night with him like before but there is no sex. Only cuddling and pecks on the cheek. He calls and texts her constantly, even with his extremely busy job, and they see each other every couple of days. They have strong, emotional conversations and they lean on each other for everything.

How can a man be so connected to a woman and not have sex with her? He isn't gay, so there's none of that going on, but it's almost like he respects her too much. Is that accurate?

• He realized he loves her as a person and doesn't want to disrespect her by using her for sex
  • He is afraid of a committed relationship and doesn't want to lose her friendship
  • Other (explain below)

Most Helpful Guy

• I think he doesn't want to have sex with you because continuing sex with a good friend can possibly cause the friendship falling apart or getting damaged. I don't think it has anything to do with respect since respect has nothing to do with sex lol

This hurts. But I know it's time to just accept it and move on. I am not the type of girl who acts clingy or pressures a man to date them. I just hear what they say and respect their wishes (for example, if a man tells me they don't want to date me I am not going to argue!). But it still hurts my ego, I think.

Oh yes. I totally see it now!

Thanks for MHO!!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its option A. He doesn't want a relationship with you, but he also doesn't want to just use your body for sexual gratification either because he cherishes his friendship with you a lot.

Great answer. I appreciate it

What Guys Said 2

• Ugh, the site scrolled down and I voted B), but I wanted to vote C). It makes zero sense to assume that "he doesn't have sex with her because he respects her", because sex is not disrespectful.

Which would mean that they didn't stay close because the guy isn't interested in a long-term relationship with her.

I know he struggles with women as he has told me this. He says he is working on it. We haven't had sex in a couple of months and only grew closer because of this. I just want to be clear on what happened - I think it would help me move on and continue to be his friend. He means so much to me but I don't want feelings to get in the way.

What Girls Said 1

• Wow, am I really the only chick to vote for the second one with the guys? y'all really think he respects her? Yikes.

so you don't think he respects her but you think he wants a friendship? Like he doesn't respect her as a friend either?

He doesn't want commitment, he wants the next best thing. Friends with benefits. Or rather friends with "possible" benefits. If he respected her, he wouldn't be so intimate with all the smooching so she could move on and find someone that would commit and care for her like a real boyfriend. Instead he's dragging her along giving her false hope that they could ever be something more. He probably cut off the sex out of guilt because he knows he won't ever truly be with her.