What is it mean when people say " I won't settle for less"?

I am very confused about this because many (specially) women say they want a man who is financially stable with a good education. Yet they have been telling me that guys dont have to have a career or a great job to date someone as long as they have a nice personality, are stable with a low income job, and of course treats and loves the woman very much then they will go for him.

I put an example for them: if you met 2 guys both great, amazing and average looking but 1 of them was a lawyer or engineer and had an normal car and had his own place and guy #2 was working as labour cause things haven't worked out with the schooling and jobs. And he had his own place and an ok car.
Which guy would you date/marry?

Most Helpful Girl

• When someone uses the phrase "I won't settle for less" it's in terms of personality, a certain specific look, or certain quality/trait they look for in a person. Yes sometimes it can come down to a person career, but that is depending on the person who wants to date them in the first place. There are a lot of things we prefer when it comes to a potential partner and sometimes if they don't have a certain look or a specific "something" then people will look else where. Hence "I won't settle for less"

Most Helpful Guy

• Given your example unless she had a thing for labourers most girl are going to choose the first guy given they've both got great personalities just one is able to better provide to her.

Some girls might not care about careers or jobs, but usually those type of girls are girls who don't care about their own careers or jobs.

What Girls Said 1

• Are you doing that thing where you look at girls as all the same instead of individual people with individual priorities, wants, and needs?

No im not! But i just dont understand what that actually means when women say it. For the longest time i thought that meant that they wouldn't settle for a guy who isn't financially and/or emotionally stable. If the guy doesn't have have a good job and basically if he isn't independent they wouldn't date him. At least thats what I've always thought

I hate to tell you but that's exactly what you're doing. Women aren't all the same so we're not all going to do the same thing.

What Guys Said 2

• if all things are on par besides the job and car and such.. they will go for the guy with money

• You haven't figured out that what women say and do are two different things? They will always try to appear noble, grounded and reasonable. But their actions will prove otherwise.