Advice on asking a guy for a date/his number?

Seriously guys, I'm really terrible with this kind of thing so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Honestly, the guy I (might) like is a complete stranger as of right now. I've only talked to him once, and it was completely professional. He works on the college campus I go to and I genuinely cannot come up with any excuse to talk to him other than telling him that I'm interested, so I think I'm going to just need to be totally upfront about it. If it makes any difference at all, he's an international student from Australia (we're in the U. S.) and he seems very confident, at least in what he does.

I've heard many times that guys like it when girls are bold and make the first move. Is this true? And if anyone is Australian/knows anything about Aussie guys, do you think they'd appreciate a gesture like this as well?

Most Helpful Guy

• Aussie guy here.
    Yes I believe the vast majority of guys like girls coming up to them, it's just a bit jarring at first since we're not used to it. That's not to say you shouldn't do it. It's still a good thing.

I don't see why an Australian guy would have a problem with it. It's a pretty laid-back culture and we're not ultra-traditional or anything like that. I guarantee it'll go smoother than most instances where a guy goes up to a girl, haha. Even if he's definitely not interested, I find it *extremely* unlikely that he's going to be creeped out or offended, etc. You'll be fine, go for it.

What Guys Said 10

• What you've heard is true. Speaking only for myself but knowing it applies to most guys, it's a huge relief not have the pressure on me. So *yes*, I love to be approached. If a guy had a problem with being approached, then he is perhaps extremely rigid about gender roles. Is that something you want?

Even better, though, is the thought that she's somehow into me. If she's not someone I would approach on my own, her enthusiasm is probably enough to make me receptive and curious.

• Just be open and honest. Ask for the number and ask the guy if he's like to go out sometimes. There is nothing wrong with a girl doing any of these things. You know what you want and who you want to do it with. Just do it. Simply as that. Take a deep breath and just do it!

• just be sweet and say "hi, can i ask you something? i've been noticing you and i was wondering, do you have a girlfriend", if he says no, than tell him you like him and would like to get his number and give him yours.
    girl, its not that difficult. guys are not like girls and tell someone of the opposite gender to piss off or go away. so yes as a guy i can tell you i want the girl to make first bold moves and be forward. girls were meant to anyways.

• Just do it. Guys (at least most) find it sexy when a woman asks for a date or number

• what, you thought you were supposed to ask for his favorite color? ask for the guys goddamn number.

• What is the guys responsiblity on the campus?
    Ask him what kind of degree he has? What prompted him to pursue that degree?

• I absolutely suck at this kind of thing but could just straight up ask him

• Hand him your number on a paper.

• tell him you're interested and ask him

• Well it will only work if he is attracted to you, otherwise it's just like when a guy goes up to a girl and ask her out but she dosent find him attractive and then says no. Maybe so you don't put him on the spot for an instant answer try asking him out to tea or coffee somewhere

What Girls Said 3

• 20 seconds of courage, walk right up and say "hey wanna go on a date sometime" and if he says no, walk the hell away

• if you think long distance can work in the near future just go up and normally approach him. Then be all chill and just ask if him if he wants to grab something to eat or if wanted to do something you find interesting and then bam bam bam

• I would say to start talking to him like you just want to be friends. You'll feel more confident this way and less pressure and won't come off as timid which he may badly interpret. Then when you're sure you like him and is someone you would like to get to know more, ask him out casually!