Does being in a relationship complete you as a person?

Do you feel more 'complete' as a person when you are in a relationship as opposed to single life? Or the other way around or no difference?

• Yes I feel more complete and confident
  • No I feel less complete and insecure
  • No difference really
  • Other
3mo Hey guys! Wow im glad that all of you answered this. But What I meant by "complete" is just that: does being with someone else bring the absolute best out of you vs when ur single? in both situations ur confident and love urself but does having another person push u to ur max limits? Show u other sides of urself u never saw before? Or no difference really?

Most Helpful Girl

• No and yes. I didn't feel incomplete before but being with my partner has opened up new sides of myself that I didn't know we're there and I feel like an even better, truer version of myself than I was before he became part of my life. My focus has also shifted in that I no longer think about most things from an individual mindset - it's all about the "we", not "me", if that makes any sense.

That makes a lot of sense and exactly the answer I am looking for!

Thanks.

I'll add that I've always been a firm believer that a healthy relationship develops out of two whole people coming together. If you're going into a relationship looking for someone to complete you, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Our partners are supposed to encourage us and support us and help us become our best selves, but they cannot complete us. Expecting someone to make you whole is setting a completely unrealistic standard that no human can achieve.

100% agree :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely NOT, you either are already a secure, confident and happy person on the inside and that you don't "need" somebody else to "complete" you and constantly give you approval and desire to make you feel you are "complete", "worthy", "happy", etc. That whole somebody else "completes" you whether that they should, could or would "complete" you is another big lie and myth if anything.

When people that are very unhappy on the inside for whatever reason get into relationships it will eventually affect the outcome of their relationships, and it could make things much worse when the split or breakup happens.

Very true

Thanks for MHO!

In other words, if someone isn't truly happy with themselves the out come of the relationship becomes a great dependency upon the other person they become emotionally attached with to provide them that "happiness" or at least the illusions and delusions of it. It becomes a "coping mechanism". But once that's all gone and the other person have decided to split, break up and leave them, and leave them forever they will completely fall apart, their life will come totally crashing down, they will be like a glass or mirror that had been shattered completely and broken into millions of tiny glass shards because they had been depressed or very unhappy since prior to being in a relationship with someone.

What Girls Said 27

• I don't feel more 'complete', as beforehand, I didn't feel like a specific part of me was lacking. However, I do feel like being with someone allows me to grow in ways that I'd never have the confidence to have done so before.

• Yes, it does because u find your other half u have been longing for and makes u feel more confident and secure. U want to strive for more and u think of someone other than yourself.

• If you *need* someone else to make you feel whole, you're not ready to date. Self love must come first, or you'll never be able to truly love another person.

• You have to already be complete and whole person to succeed in a relationship with another person. Otherwise you will not be satisfied and will continue to keep searching by having more partners instead of being satisfied with one. You want to share your happiness, not make that person your happiness. I always say this, if your miserable single, your going to be miserable in your relationship. If you were miserable before you got married, your going to be just as miserable after marriage.

I'd add that it places an unrealistic and unfair burden on your partner to expect them to be your source of joy and meaning, rather than to simply be the person with whom you share your joy.

Love your answer.

This. All this.

• I like being in a relationship. I help him out and he helps me out.

• For me, I don't feel "complete", but it can enhance my life.

• No... You need to be able to complete yourself alone. Th. You can fit someone into the mixx

Yes i agree especially on fitting them into the mix :P

• I still can live my life the way I did when I was single. I'm not a party girl or anything, but I don't have to ask my man if I can go someplace to have a moment for myself. My life feels complete now that I am with my man, and I feel more at peace than when I was single.

• Uh no... yes it'd be nice and all to have another somebody to go through all my ups and downs with, but they wouldn't be the one to complete me. I'm fine being single.

• More complete and confident.

• I love being In a committed relationship with lots of sex , lots of cuddles , someone I can talk to , go on adventures with , get massages , kisses , cute text messages... Just having your other half 💕😍

• I feel happier and less lonely. It's not about being more complete or more confident.

• You cannot be completed by being in a relationship, as you are a whole person yourself. Yes, having a partner can add to you, but it cannot make you whole. A relationship is 2 whole people, not two halves of a person.

• With my current boyfriend who I plan to marry it does

• I have a lot of goals in life that i'd like to complete so apart from achieving those, being in a relationship would kind of entirely complete me as a person, like a good percentage of it anyways

• The only man who will complete me is my future husband.
    Not a boyfriend, for me a boyfriend is just... a boy friend technically.

• I avoid relationships.
    I watch other girls get their hearts broken. It is either their boyfriend is cheating on them, or he is just not interested in them anymore. That is just part of my biggest fear in having a relationship. It will probably be a lot of work, too. I would have to try and keep the guy interested in me, and try to make sure he doesn't fall for another girl. I don't have time for that.
    I am happy without a relationship. It doesn't need to complete me. Good luck to the guy who is going to try and change my mind in the future... lol 😂

• No, no difference. I am happy with myself and don't define myself around my partner (if I had one). I was in a long term relationship a few times, but I was already stable and successful. If I find a great guy and am in a long term relationship, then that would be great. If not, it's ok as well.

Aaaah i see! But do you notice a change in your personality when you're single vs taken? Or maybe not personality but state of mind?

Yes, I suppose so. I am not just concerned about myself, but my partner. I do put in effort, so it can sometimes be stressful and tiring (especially if it's not appreciated). But it does feel nice to be appreciated. Being single, I don't have as much stress and I feel better rested most of the time.

Got it!

• I make myself complete

• Im single as a slice of bread

• I've never been in a 'serious' relationship but you shouldn't have to depend on someone else to make you feel 'complete'. With that comes insecurities, low self-esteem, and clinginess. I may not have experienced the 'relationship life' but I've seen enough from the environment around me and the friends I've had and still have currently to say this. Or maybe that's just me who thinks this?

Awww noo don't worry you're not alone who thinks this :P but on the real yes ur correct. I actually mistyped my question😹 What I was asking is just if you feel a slight change in mental state when ur single vs taken. example: when Im dating i feel more spontanous and adventureous thus I feel "complete". But after thinking about it i realized its just that when im single im usually inside of my comfort zone thus no adventures. But when im dating im outside of comfort zone thus more adventure and awesome things.

• If a relationship make you feel complete you might want to rethink your relationship. You should already feel complete before you get in a relationship and your partner adds as a bonus.

• Im still who I am and was. I just have a best friend who is there for me when I need him and I him.

• Nope. I tried to kill myself while being in the best relationship I've ever had lol so...

• I do not feel more "complete" as a person. Relationships have there advantages, but right now I'm single and I do not dislike being single nor do I miss my disastrous relationships. I do feel less lonely in a relationship; its nice having the attention and interest of another person you feel attracted too. I feel like I'm already who I am and my partner is already who they are. We're not there to try and change each others personality, or should we? I think we should already be two complete people that come together to make something spectacular.

• No. In fact, I feel more confident when I am single.

• Complete and ready For the future and my goals although when im single i still work towards goals etc its just quieter and lonely and there's a constant need for my other half

What Guys Said 23

• Nope! Not at all. A relationship can complement me, but never complete me. I need to complete myself!

• When you're in a healthy state of mind, yeah it's a feeling of completion; when you've got two people with major anxiety and issues with fear of abandonment it's a living hell but it's not really a hell you want to leave.

not sure if that makes sense or not

• If Marriage and Children are part of your plan, YES!

• I think relationships are more of a luxury or a bonus. I can feel complete and happy just being a lone wolf but if a relationship happens then it happens.

Being alone doesn't scare me. I can find happiness in myself with no expectations like that.

• Ideally in a mature and healthy relationship, they should find more of themselves in the other person. Having an "eros" connection with someone changes how a relationship works. It helps the connection to grow deeper and more mature. So in a way, being in a relationship, completes a person, but not in the sense that one needs the other person to be happy. It more helps someone to magnify their better qualities and develop their weaker points.

• i definitely feel a sense of wholeness being in a relationship. i don't know if it completes me as a person but i feel more like the person i want to be

• I have not been in a relationship in a long time. I would say that I enjoy being in a relationship (when I am in one) when things are going well, but I would not say that it makes me more "complete". When things are not going well in a relationship, I don't really have much incentive to "work things out" as I am fairly happy being alone. That leaves out drama. LOL...

• No it's somethi g that will make you happy for a while but won't really complete you ss a person relationships are not the most important thing in life.

• Yes it does. I recently was in my first relationship and I felt happy and complete. Then she left me and I feel this emptiness ever since.

• I'm not in one yet, but I'm sure it would. I also believe in destiny. 😊

• I've been single my whole life which has probably made me a much more independent and capable person at looking after myself rather than needing someone than many who have been in relationships for most of their adult lives. However, I'm soon to be in a relationship with a girl we both feel strongly towards each other. It's an amazing feeling having someone that cares about you and can help you out. Just makes you feel really happy being in that situation. So I think it goes both ways.

• i feel more confident only because i don't give a fuck what other girls think of me just like i usually feel about guys, but i don't feel more complete, it's important to feel complete while you're alone.

• I'm not sure. I just want to stop feeling so inadequate, out of place and unwanted.

Hi thanks for stopping by. what makes you think u r unwanted?

Ah okay well then yes I can imagine that u feel unwanted if those "few friends" will not miss you if -god forbid- you are gone. But that's a normal feeling because I have it too :)

I guess they would miss me.

• It is two sides of the coin, completing you as well as at times exposing you

Great school of Life

• You speak as if any kind of relationship is complementing, so long as you are not single..
    I can't concur with this... mentality.

To answer what was probably meant by the question: yes, it does.

• no i find im happier single.

• I'm complete when I'm single. I don't need a relationshit for that.

• No not always.

• No. Sometimes you want to share everything with though.

• It's nice to have the company of a decent person, but no one can make you happy. Happiness is completely up to us...

• No I'm not a feminist

• Girlfriend of two years broke up with me and now I feel completely directionless. Worst is that so much of it stems from what I know to be a misunderstanding but she thinks is sound judgment.

• No difference really