How can I get over my anxiety of asking women out?

So I've only ever asked one girl out in my life in my sophomore year of high school. The rejection was definitely worse than simply just saying "no"(yes her saying no is not the worst that can happen).

Now I'm 22 in my last year of uni and I've never asked a girl since. Before someone says build confidence by doing healthy activities I already workout at the gym daily and play sports and I'm tall. I really don't think most girls have any issues with my appearance so saying getting fit or dress nicely will not fix the situation for me. I work with women at my job and I have friendly conversations with them all the time. We even crack sexual jokes around each other so I have no problem talking to regular girls. The thing is I was never interested in any of them so I have no issue with girls like that. When it comes to a girl I'm interested in I can't even look directly at them let alone ever initiate a conversation with them. And I know if I can't even date in college I'll never get a date afterwards. Before someone just says "just do it" I've tried. I literally started walking up to a girl got within like 5 feet and then just spun around and walked away. I physically can't bring myself to do it. And I really don't want to die a virgin.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is my ~strategy~

Be like 'hey do you want to go on a date and get some like frozen yogurt?" That way even if they say no YOU STILL GET TO GO DO SOMETHING YOU LIKE. Even if they say no it's like well whatever I still have froyo >:D media.giphy.com/media/yamKbSmaGrVkY/giphy.gif

Most Helpful Guy

• You're making too much out of it. Instead of putting women on an unreachable pedestal, look at them as regular people.
    Male or female, everyone's crap stinks, ya know bro?

This anxiety block is something that you built man, only you can tear it down.

What Girls Said 3

• I think it could be helpful to begin seeing girls as just that - simply girls who have the same fears, feelings, insecurities, etc as you do.
    Don't build them up in your head as unnatainable figures and remember they're just people... and there are definitely girls out there who will be ecstatic that you've asked them out. Good luck!!

• i say just go for it... build up ur confidence... .:)

• You think to much about it. The more you think the more likely u are to ditch. When u see someone u like don't think just act and quickly before nerves build up. It's a metal thing and the longer u wait the harder it gets.

What Guys Said 2

• do it 1000 times

• don't ask women, they are not worth it. Just have a friends with benefits relationships

I'm pretty sure I could get casual sex if I wanted. I don't want that.