Why did me message me then ignore my reply?

I've been kind of dating this guy for 4 months now. He's been initiating contact with me every single day since we got closer and never once did I message him first.

anyway, he's on holiday now with his friends and family and he hasn't had much mobile signal and I haven't been expecting any messages. Anyway he's messaged me about 5 times since he went away over a week ago, which I don't have an issue with. Last night, he sent me a picture of what he was up to, then told me he's been "up to so much since he got there". I replied with "?" And he's read and ignored. He's been online on Whatsapp all day and has read my message and completely left it at that. What does this mean? What are these mind games about? Shall I ignore him or message him? I'm a grown adult and can't be dealing with childishness or mixed messages.
Thanks

3mo reason I didn't reply with actual words is because he sometimes does it to me and I don't want to come across as needy or impressed. He's already big headed

What Guys Said 1

• "?" Is not exactly an inviting reply to continue the conversation.

What you should have done is ask him about what he's been up to.

so I guess I messed it up. Do you think it's a bad idea to message him?

Nope it's a very good idea

"hey babe I'm sorry I seemed short with you the other day, I didn't mean to be."

Thing is u say he's big headed and needy, but if you are BOTH that stubborn about it and keep doing shit like that just because the other person does it too, it's not healthy for the relationship.

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe you should reply with some words? I never reply when people send me punctuation marks.