Would you date someone that has a different religion than you? Why or why not? (Pls read details)?

I met this guy on a online dating app and we talked and stuff and decided to meet in perosn and well we liked each other and he eventually asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes and it's been a week since its been official now. The thing is I checked on his fb details and it says that his religion is Islam but on this profile on the dating app it said "non religious" and the thing is I'm Catholic. So I don't know if this will workout because those 2 have both really big differences and there's a lot of differences when it comes to holidays too. So I just don't know what to do. What should I do? And do you think it'll workout or not? (Other than religion being different I do like him)

Most Helpful Guy

• I would not date someone who had a different religion. I'm not religions, and I wouldn't date a religious woman.

Will it work out? That depends on what you mean by "work out". If you mean "Do you think we could have a happy marriage" the answer is a strong maybe. Most atheists come to the position after a lot of thought. We're not atheist because we were raised that way. We considered the tenets of religion (usually Christianity in the US) and rejected them. We are pretty sure they are not true. Can you live with someone who finds your religion simply unbelievable? Can he live with someone who believes something he finds impossible?

Also, if you want children you need to think about your expectations for the children's religious education. Is it important to you that the children be raised Catholic? Or could you compromise and join a Unitarian congregation? If you are looking for a husband and father, then there's a lot to be discussed.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it all depends on how religious you think you are. It's tough because as we mature and experience more about the world, our religious views and how religious we are can change. If religion is already a big part in your life, I would suggest being very cautious because that can cause a lot of tension down the road; as you said with the holidays, but also what religion would you raise your kids, if you ever had kids together? And your life philosophies in general could turn out to be at war with each other from being raised with two very different backgrounds. I think it's not a very cut and dried answer and that you should really think carefully as to whether or not you are compatible. If he is really okay with going along with your religious traditions and values, then you might work out. Also, if you would be okay with accepting his religion and him accepting yours, then maybe you can both just learn about the other. I think there are a lot of factors that go into making a decision like this, but at the end of the day I think you should do what you feel is right and really just follow your heart.

What Guys Said 9

• Yeah, because I keep my religion to myself for the most part.

• Probably not a good idea, you both believe in a religion that condemns the other person to hell, you may try to ignore that but it will eventually be an issue

I can't even be friends with someone who's religious (I am secular) the best I can do is treat them with respect as long as religion stays completely out

• Islam would be the only one but even then it would depend on the person more within it.

• i wouldn't marry a woman from different religion
    its not a right or wrong issue
    its only about compatibility

• i would date someone from another relegion
    nice add to my other 3 wives :p

You have 3 wives? :0

Oh wow haha that's intersting, is it a normal thing where you live? :0 and do your wives know that lol

not very common even the law says you can have one wife but as people know some laws are just written but no one cares about them

• I would definitely date someone of a different religion and I have in the past. The key is respect. If you guys can respect eachothers belief, everything will be fine. This is quite common in my country.

• I would give it a chance..

• No, because I'm atheist.

• I'll date someone from a tolerant religion like Buddhism, Sikhism and Hinduism, but I'd never date a Muslim woman or a Jewish woman.

What Girls Said 18

• Dating is one thing and it is completely different then Catholic beliefs. I say different, because you have to really study what he believes in. You can try, but it may not work out if you two have conflicting views, morals, etc. Character traits is very important. And it sounds like he is lying already. He says he's not religious, but he never said that he is not a religious believer in Islam I bet? That is a clear sign. It is very possible that he is looking for a sexual relationship, so he's expecting to attract girls easier by putting that. Be very careful, ask anything that brothers you. But if you don't feel safe, don't date him.

Atheist DON'T believe here is a God or an afterlife. How did you ever conclude that he is lying?

You have to reread the Asker's question. He said that he practice Islam on his Facebook page. But on his dating page he hasn't. That's shows lying if he has not stated that he is a non religious believer in Islam.

• They have a lot of difference but as a whole they're not very different actually.
    I know this half French half Egyptian girl in my school and she celebrates both Islamic and Christian holidays with her respective parents (the Muslim Dad and Catholic Mom).
    I don't think it's impossible for it to workout. I came across lots of this combo when I was in High school in the Middle East since my school mostly had Muslim and Catholic. students.

• Inter community relationships r actually a good thing... u r exposed more to different ideas... the genetic diversity of ur kids is higher n they will get the best of both worlds... but during fights u could be pointed at for being from a different religion n the file might not like u n u might not like a few things about Islam or he might not like a few things about Christianity... u see it all depends... the best thing that I can suggest is for u to talk to him about it n find a way forward... best of luck :)

• being a friend, I would love to as I love diversity in my friendship. in relationship, nope, i prefer something simple and i'm expecting the relationship ends with marriage, so i don't want anybody getting hurt with the difference (we don't know how open his family or even my family bout that)

but honestly, there are some of my friends really have a relationship like that. it's purely how you are ready for changes ;)

• Not to sound cynical about this topic, but I don't see a mixed religion relationship being easy. Not that any relationship is easy, but much less so when you incorporate two different religious views. I think it could be the cause of a lot of future problems. I've lived that life firsthand. You have to think about kids and different lifestyles and how they will mesh together. It's not as easy as just falling in love and getting married. I only see a relationship like that lasting if both people are just lukewarm about their faith. Otherwise, speaking from personal experience, it will cause a lot of heartbreak.

• Hmm.. I think you need to ask him how important his religious beliefs are to him because he may be non-practicing or non-religious like his profile is saying. You should also think about how important religion is to you and your family if you're really serious about him. If its something very important to you then end things now. There will be plenty of other Catholic guys for you down the road. If it doesn't matter, then go ahead and stay with him :)

That's true! I mean he seems like a great guy but I just don't know how to bring up the topic with him and I mean if he is actuall "non religious" than I wouldn't mind staying with him! But the thing is how about when it comes to holidays like Christmas because that's an important thing to me and my family but I don't wanna force him into it if that makes sense 😊

I think you just have to ask him like "Weve been seeing each other for a while and i think we should talk about our difference in religion. How do you feel about it?" or something like that.

When it comes to holidays, you dont have to force him to come with you. You may just have to spend Christmas apart, but again it really depends on how religious he is. If he doesn't care that its a non Muslim holiday, then its up to him to join you. Dont force him, be chill about it and let him decide. And the same goes for you and his religious holidays, you know?

• If you mean marriage then no, it'll be hard for your children later. Especially if you're religious and you want them to follow your beliefs too.

• My answer is always the same. No. Regardless of how good and nice is he. Only Christian men for me.

• No, because I can''t really marry someone from different religion.
    So I already know not to lead others on, or lead myself on for nothing. I know it won't workout, so I control my feelings. <3

by the way, if he is on a dating app that means he is open to dating.
      And I believe he also doesn't care about the religion of the girl

One of the main filters on dating apps is religion.

• i am getting married to a muslim guy.. so its OK with me.

• I wouldn't recommend dating someone with different religious beliefs than you. I'm currently in an interfaith relationship and it's a real struggle. Maintaining a committed relationship is hard enough, why make it harder?

• Tbh if u really like him then nothing should get in ur way. Not gender religion parents nothing. Every one is different and has the right to belive in watever they have faith in. Just respect that and dont let it complicate the relationship because people take that seriously

• If I really like him then probably yeah but only dating no marriage

• No, it doesn't work out for me since I'm serious about my beliefs

• Yeah, as long as he's open minded

• What a liar. What else he has told you yet?

• lately I've been questioning God's existence, so I guess that makes me an atheist. I would date a guy that has a different religion, of course. I think that the best thing you should do is to ask your boyfriend if he is bothered by your religion. you should ask yourself the same question, too. if both of you are ok with the fact that the other one has other beliefs, you should carry on and love each other

• I would not date someone that has a different religion than me.
    Religion plays a huge role in our lives.
    Your ideas thoughts actions pretty much based on your religion.
    I'm christian but not so spiritual myself, still, I don't date Muslim, Jewish guys not because they are wrong or anything, but because our culture gap is too big.