How do you know if someone is going out with you out of sympathy?

A guy I know personally asked me out after telling me that he was attracted to me and wanted to get to know me better. I agreed, but then it took him a couple of days to text back. I followed up with his offer of "hanging out" and he said "yes!!! sorry, I've been busy". As we were making plans, he stopped texting for 5 days until I texted him and asked if he wanted to grab coffee sometime and he said "yes, I've been working off duty as much as possible". My question is, would you actually date someone you had no interest in? His long texting gaps make me think that he's not interested in me. But, then why would he agree to go out with me?

What Guys Said 2

• nope. i don´t see a point in dating a person i´m not interested in.

Do you think he's actually interested if he's agreeing to go out with me?

well i mean he asked you out first so why would you assume it´s out of sympathy? xD i can´t tell what is going on in his head. the chance of me getting it right are slim... i don´t know shit about him.

I'm just confused because he takes days to respond in between messages and everyone says that's a sign that he's not into me. But, then why would he schedule a date with me if he's not interested?

• Wow @Lyndsielee666, can't believe you'd actually do that

What Girls Said 1

• I pity dated someone and it crushed him when we broke up. I wouldn't even hold his hand. Ask him straight up if he's actually feeling you