I know several guys who have never dated before but I have a theory that the only reason is because they have an intense fear of rejection. Agree?

• Yes, I think it is because they have an excessive fear of rejection
  • No, I think it's because they have personality issues
  • No, I think it's because they are physically unattractive in general
  • No, I think it's because they are very shy or have low self esteem
  • No, I think it's for a reason not listed above

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that's one of the most common reasons for sure.

But some of them develop that fear because they fixate on one girl for a long time, crushing for weeks, months, sometimes years.

Then after just a few rejections like that, it's understandable why they get all discouraged. Their whole approach is bound to even very desirable men lose hope.

It's easy to fear rejection if you fixate on a girl a long time and start caring about her before even asking her out. It's so much easier to ask a girl out when the feeling is not much stronger than for any other pretty girl out there.

Their whole approach is bound to [make] even very desirable men lose hope.

To some extent yeah, but beats gambling a year of your life on a girl who becomes a friend hoping she'll say "yes". Asking one girl out per year, e. g., is pretty inefficient.

Plus later you tend to need more than just friendly conversations with a girl to really fall for her anyway, which makes it so knowing the girl in a friendly context doesn't really make her that much more appealing than, say, a casual acquaintance. Either one could end up becoming shitty girlfriends.

Knowing a girl as a friend for a good while is quite different from having her as a girlfriend, so to me it starts making more and more sense to ask girls out sooner as long as they're attractive.

Plus you tend to miss less and hit far more often the more practice you have doing it, since you start coming off smoother, more relaxed (not really caring about the results), charming, confident, etc. You can work your way up to not giving a damn even when talking to a model because, for example, you might have dated one and she actually kind of sucked as a girlfriend. It takes more and more to involve feelings over the years -- can get to a point where you barely care about the girl until you two get really, really intimate with each other.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 7

• I have never dated and fear of rejection isn't really the sole reason. Even if a cute girl made the first move and asked me out I would probably turn her down.

It's a combination of all of the above, I am shy, have low confidence, dont believe I am very attractive and have a lot of personal/emotional issues.

I think for most guys who have never dated it will be because of one or a combination of several of the reasons you mentioned above. Only one that I would add would be being asexual or aromatic.

• It makes sense, but I don't think it's truth 100% of the times. Well, there can always be a really unlucky guy who got rejected by every girl he asked out and he never had any girl asking him out, it's possible.

However, in most cases, I agree with you. People who fear rejection are much less likely to make a move and won't date anyone as a consequence.

• Well, I have never dated before and I've tried many times. Every single one of the women rejected me. The ones that did hit on me though were all the ones that I am not attracted to, as in African Americans.

• I know that it's fear of rejection.

• It's because there's just better men, stronger men, richer men, more romantic, wittier, smarter men.

• We got our hearts broken :(. And too busy too focus on just a relationship