What does the phrase "Doesn't take himself/herself/myself seriously" mean to you?

To me it means someone who wants to play games and wants someone to play games with them. Play house during the day. Play doctor at night. It's someone who wants to be laid back about EVERYTHING in life with no passion to improve or grow as a person. They'd rather take themselves and/or their partner for granted because "life is just a game" so they've adopted a sophomoric, carefree attitude about the world.

We only get one life. If we only had one dollar to depend on, would we be so careless with it? Would you want a partner to be carefree and waste it? I don't get this phrase and I don't attach it's meaning to anything positive. If anything, I'd prefer the opposite. What do you think about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well let me start by saying its one of few out and out dealbreakers for me if a girl takes herself too seriously.

It does NOT mean no goals or ambition, quite the opposite, it means not being able to see the big picture. Its placing too much value on yourself, to the point that you think every thing you do makes a difference to the world. here's an example... getting into a legit fight with your SO because you voted for someone and they voted for someone else - cos your ONE vote is going to swing it rite?

Actually, i've found people who take themselves too seriously often get so hung up on the minor details they can't see the wood for the trees and end up never reaching their goals.

Thank you for explaining an alternative view. I wish guys would just say that instead of using that phrase because it's too vague and can be taken in different ways.

On something such as a dating site (where I see this said all the time) when the persons profile claims they're looking for a life partner and then they say they don't want someone who takes themselves "too seriously" it makes me think they want someone who isn't serious about life or their future. It feels contradictory because when you're searching for something that's going to have longevity, one would think seriousness is a valued trait over casual "not serious" hookups.

It would be better to say they want someone who isn't stuck up or "can see the big picture," or "appreciates the little things" or "someone who respects others differences." To me that makes more sense and conveys what you explained better than the "too seriously" phrase. Thanks for the break down.

@cosytoasty -- Well put as usual.

In fewer words --
      I read "someone who takes her/himself seriously" = someone who gets butthurt easily. Who wants to associate with someone like that?

OP, I think you are mistaking "someone who takes HER/HIMSELF seriously" (an absolutely insufferable personal quality) for "someone who takes LIFE seriously" (which is a good thing indeed, and is to be expected of anyone Of A Certain Age).

Most Helpful Girl

• i think it means someone who isn't serious about life

What Guys Said 10

• basically someone who just coasts through life without any personal goals

• I think your descripton is spot on. No additions from me.

• Agree with you there, it means the person is too reckless/careless with his/her life.

• Someone like that can be fun to hang around for a short while but yeah I don't really trust people like that. It's an irresponsible way of living life if you aren't planning on dying soon. People like that are often carefree with their money and they don't care as much if someone gets hurt so they leave the world a less happy place in my opinion.

• It means they don't have a stick up their butt. They are laid back.

Just because you have a laid back personality doesn't at all mean you re not passionate. Those too traits have nothing to do with one another.

• It means to me that I can laugh at myself when I make a mistake or that I simply don't take myself too seriously! I will make mistakes and it's fine I can laugh it up! Pretty much it sums it up

• somebody who thinks you are joking or fooling around with them. they think when you say or do things that it is 'not for real' and that you are a fake

• Yea it's means for men that are manchild like lol aleast that's my definition. Lol I'm a manchild myself but life is hard so people revert to becoming less serious to avoid how bad life hurts.

• I agree, i feel it's a person with carefree attitude, with no passion to improve or grow as a person

• To me it means someone who is self-deprecating; the opposite of pompous. I read it as a positive trait.

What Girls Said 2

• They can brush things off laugh at themselves when they something dumb. tend to be happy and relaxed and not stressed

Exactly 👍

This x 100,000,000,000,000

The ability to laugh AT YOURSELF is absolutely one of the most important qualities a person can have.

People who can't laugh at themselves get absolutely destroyed the moment the slightest little thing goes wrong in life.

@redeyemindtricks Nicely said as usual , you know it as well... Got a love it...😃

• It's someone who is just plodding through life without any real expectation and doesn't want to even try to do something properly even if they should do