Topic: Guys & being SHORT. Is it an actual deal breaker for women? Why? And guys, are you insecure about it?

I guess I'm curious whether women really consider this a deal breaker and why. I am currently really interested in a guy; I met him online; and in person I found out he is maybe 5'2, a little shorter than me or my height. And scrawny. When I told my mom, my older cousin, my friends.. They told me to drop him and were shocked and acted like it was such a big deal. I didn't even tell them in a negative way, I was just like he's so little! With a smile on my face. It didn't change my opinion about him, I dig him just as much... But it took me forever to actually meet the guy because he kept putting it off. Do you think he was nervous I'd reject him because of his height? Do guys really feel bad about being short? And thin?

• Women (yes it's a turn off)
  • Women (no I don't mind)
  • Men (yes it's an insecurity for some men)
  • Men (no it isn't)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm really short myself so I know how it feels to have women pass me by just because I don't measure up vertically. I'd have no problems dating a taller girl but the only reason I don't go for it is because I assume she wouldn't be interested in dating someone shorter.

Unfortunately, what's even worse is friends and family can even be turned off by of their daughter/sister/cousin/friend dating a short guy, even though they are not involved in any way.

He may have possibly been anxious to meet you because of his lack of height. He may have thought yoh would have rejected him right off the bat. That's possibly the biggest reason why I'd never participate in online dating. I doubt him being thin is a problem though. Seems to me as if height is the biggest physical quality most women value above most in a guy.

What Guys Said 14

• I know some women like taller men, and consider short men a deal-breaker.

I'm 6 feet 7 inches, and believe me, height matters a LOT less than most people think. I've seen shorter guys score much more and easier than me, and my height has made absolutely NO difference in my love live at all.

It is all about personality and how you present yourself, I think. Height in actual fact matters very little.

• Im 5'9 so Im not sure I qualify as short but I still feel insecure about my height. I wish I could be 6ft tall.

• Personally dating a taller girl makes me feel like a bad ass.

• A big thing with this is esmasculation. If a man is shorter than his mate, it has an affect on his ego. It also has an affect on how his family, peers, and those around him view him. Some women become very egotistical with a height difference as well and have power trips left and right from having them in conversation, to having them in the bedroom and in public. It makes a man appear weak in the eyes of society to be shorter than his female companion. I have no problem with height difference snd prefer my women tall anyway. I loved sitting in my girlfriends lap and having to stand on my toes to kiss her. But she did become egotistical in cases where she would grope me in public, grab my face to kiss me the way a man would do a woman and things of that nature. So yes for somemen this can be troublesome but me? I have no problem she can be as tall as she wants

• Just read some of the girl's response and you'll see why some guys are insecure

I think I'll hit 6' in a couple of years. If not then it'll be a good 5'11"

• I'm 5'7" and I know that I shouldn't even hope to date a girl who's 5'9" or taller.

• I know a bunch of women who claimed they wouldn't even consider dating a shorter guy.
    I wouldn't date a taller woman either, and I know many friends with the same sentiment.
    I guess it is not that uncommon.

• i am 178 cm/ 5'10. I guess that qualifies as short. It sucks but its all right, when i have the money, i'll invest in a pair of elevator shoes to reach 6' or so

• I wouldn't know since I'm 5"9 myself. I think you should give the guy a chance despite of his height. Short guys Need love too you know

• I'm 5'10. I think that's about average in the US. I don't think height is that big of an insecurity for men.

• Men (no it isn't)

• I'm a short guy (5'5) and I weight 122lbs and I know that a lot of women will reject me because of my physical make up and to be honest I couldn't care less. I know the reasons why women reject guys like me and I find it hilarious. Apparently we cannot protect a woman? Apparently we aren't masculine looking enough. Yeah I've heard that nonsense before. I remember one woman was really mean and rejected me based on my height and she wasn't even polite about it. Well roll on several years and she's a single Mother living on state hand outs. Hell I'd rather die on my own than go near a Single Mother. Most of the women in this thread will end up as single Mothers or will end up going through man after man because they cannot keep a man. Women get worse with age, men get better with age and I am getting better with age. I'll have the last laugh. ;)

• It's one of my biggest insecurities. I'm 5'4, so there aren't really too many girls shorter than me. If I was taller, I'd be able to choose from a larger pool of girls. I find it hard to get over the fact that I'll be seen as less attractive because of something I have absolutely no control over.

• I can see it would be an insecurity for many men. But look at Bernie and his wife and ex-wife.

What Girls Said 13

• I'm gonna be totally honest it might come out mean I can't date a guy shorter than 6ft and 6ft is oishing it for me. Why is that I'm shallow like that I need my mas to be a symbol of strength and to be protective im don't feel that way of I'm towering over you and I like to wear heels and I'm not bed one down to kiss my man I just can't. However I'm glad that you aren't like me there are a tone of good guys out there who are short and they come in contact with chicks like me who won't give them the time of day and that's not right but that's how I feel

Is 5'5 and skinny not good enough for you?

@sattepesutta And obviously your short ugly fat white boy who just is mad that he couldn't get any woman crawl back in to your hole short stuff

@MotorbikeBoyMatty lol I'm not saying you don't qualify I just stated my preference im sure above the rest and second to none

• I don't really care, as long as he's taller than me it's good (even if it's a little bit). I'm 5'5" so that shouldn't be too hard lol. I'm going to be honest, if he was shorter than me I'd be less attracted to him than if he was taller. That doesn't mean short guys aren't attractive though because I know some who are.

• I'm 5'2 and I don't think I'd go out with a 5'2 guy - to be fair, I also wouldn't go out with a 5'2 girl. I like being the shorter one.

• I don't like it. :/
    For a night I wore high heels which made me an inch taller than my boyfriend and it was a little uncomfortable for me. I prefer my partner to be the taller one, as shallow as it sounds.

• Well Im 5'6 so I couldn't date anyone who is 5'2. Obviously when it's just in theory I'd like a tall guy, but in reality it's not a deal breaker if he's 5'8 or something. Lots of girls are way shorter than I, so even guys who are 5'5 or below can get someone shorter, or someone taller if both are okay with that.

• Honestly, it is a deal breaker for me.
    But each woman is different and some don't mind it one bit. If you're fine with his height, who cares what others think.

• Great question

• I don't mind because I am really short too.

• In most cases yes

• Thats a turn off, I prefer big and strong man who can crush me in one hug :)

• For many women height is fairly important.
    However, if it was a huge deal for most women short people would've been bred out of the gene pool by now and you'd never see a guy under 5'8" with a girlfriend or wife or even a fuck buddy. It isn't as vital as men think it is and a lot of women say they won't date a really short guy but end up doing it.

In my personal opinion, I like average height to tall but not crazy tall. (5'10-6'2" generally) BUT my most previous and my first boyfriend is like 5'4" and honestly it changed nothing for me. I loved him exactly the way he was. His shortness wasn't ever a turn on or anything but I again I loved him the way he was and wouldn't have changed a thing. After him I briefly had a fling with a guy who was 6'4". So I'm flexible with my preference.

Again it's a factor to some degree for most women but guys and girls exaggerate its importance to women.

• If he's shorter then me (5'5") it's a turnoff. In my opinion the man should be taller then the woman. But to the short guys out there you will find some girl that likes short guys.

• It's a big turn off for me