Would you consider what I said to be sexist?

I went on a dinner date at a nice restaurant with this guy and we had food etc etc anyways after dinner he pulled out his wallet and he asked if I was was going to pay and I told him no and that I left my wallet at home (which I did) but then I said "Besides you're the guy, you should pay." Is that sexist?

• Yes, very sexist
  • Kind of sexist.
  • No, not at all.
  • I don't consider that sexist, but I can see why others would.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep. Imagine if he said "you're the woman, you should clean the house", would you consider that sexist?
    Saying someone has to do something because of their gender (even worse when it's something the do for YOU and that YOU are benefiting from) is sexist.

I would have paid my part and leave your sexist ass at the restaurant.

If a guy told me that I would not consider that sexist at all.

@Djaaaaaay That was sarcasm

@Bieberfan4life I know it was... But I always look at the brighter side of things.. I'd rather smile than not..

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it's sexist you should always try to pay and offer him money back. However, if he accepts money when you attempt to offer it back to him break up with him then and there because he's not worth your time.

What Guys Said 14

• It is sexist, indeed. You should apologise to him, you didn't exactly give the right impression. It's the 21st century after all, and the current year, so women have to pay as well.

• This is 2016, both members of a relationship typically need to have a job in order to sustain a working class lifestyle. What you said is both sexist and outdated.

• Non- feminist

• I mean its sexist in the same way that telling a woman that they should be taking care of the kids or something similar. I wouldn't really care tho, would tell something about what kind of a person you are.

See but I really don't get that I mean I don't consider telling a women they should be taking care of the kids, cooking/cleaning, etc to be sexist so I was really surprised when I was called sexist for saying that a man should pay. I grew up in a traditional home where women do all the domestic chores and men are the breadwinners.

• Sexist, but I'd be fine with it.

• Yeah thats really sexist.

• you destroyed what feminism worked so hard for shame on you

• Yes, typical of women.

"typical of women" did you mean that as a insult?

Lmfao

• No, I think we all need to lighten up.

• its sexist and thats feminism

Lol I'm the complete opposite of a feminist. Feminism is a joke.

• Whoa, you don't put that out there like that.

• Woa, i hope he leaves you. Men are done with women like you. Welcome to the world of equality

• yeah, kinda. You both kinda sound unpleasant. Maybe take a break on the dating or just date dudes from the church. Those guys love that "traditional" BS.

That's funny you call me unpleasant when you know nothing about me besides what I wrote on here.

• We will pay, and want to pay, but the thing is, we want YOU to at least OFFER to pay. You should never expect us to pay

I would have no problem offering but if he demanded or asked before I even offer, that would be a turn off right away.
      It shouldn't be asked. I don't appreciate anyone that asks me for money.

It's about that kind of topic

What Girls Said 12

• Depends on your tone. I make my SOs sandwiches every morning for work and sometimes he'll say "ah where you belong". It's intentionally sexist. It's the stereotype, it's also a joke so I just roll my eyes like the rest of his silly jokes lol.

If you meant it as a joke, then no it's not sexist. If you meant it, then yes it is. It's not the statement so much as the intention of it.

• Yes, I would.

• I don't think it's sexist, bc it doesn't come with the weight of centuries of gender based discrimination. it was rude though. even if you expect him to pay, it's polite to offer, or to cover the tip. also, going out without your wallet can be dangerous.
    generally, I assume that whoever asked the other out/ initiated the date will likely pay, but don't count on it.

Discrimination: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people

So if you forced to pay for a guys dinner just because you're a woman that wouldn't feel unfair to you?

You're ridiculous.

Sexism is prejudice based on sex, you want to make men incapable of being victims of discrimination based on sex. You want to tell a man who is prejudiced based on his sex that it wasn't prejudice based on sex, the other person was just being rude. There is literally no justification for your way of thinking. And historical connotations don't change the definitions of words, are you stupid? For example, when someone says communism the historical connotation brings the soviet union to most peoples minds, that however doesn't change the definition of communism to only apply to the soviet union.

And the straight pride thing is not comparable at all, straight pride vs gay pride is comparable to meninism vs feminism.

bro. I'm obviously not going to change your opinion. tie not going to change mine. I propose a truce, bc we could be here forever arguing back and forth, and I'm not about that.

• Its not sexist, but in the western world people usually talk about it and then decide who pays (split, male or female)

• That's extremely sexist. you should be ashamed of yourself.

• well it's considered sexist for a dude to say "you're the woman so you should do the cooking/cleaning" so following that logic... yup.

I would not consider that sexist if a guy told me that.

well society would in general. If you want a traditional relationship where a man and the woman have their own "roles" or w/e, then it's fine.

• Hello, Princess.

• I agree that a guy should pay but, at the very least you should offer to pay yourself. What you said wasn't necessarily sexist, but it was outright rude.

• I mean.. if he offers I wouldn't be like "yeah cuz your the man," seems a bit crass to me

• Read my mind

• You need a fucking good kick where it hurts.
    Plus you're a fucking total embarrassment to the female race.
    What a fucking bitch.

• Not really just sexist. Also extremely rude, entitled, cheap, tacky and others I'm too polite to mention.
    Like I get guys paying, especially on a first date, but feeling entitled to it or something like that is just kinda sickening. Nobody owes you anything.