Boyfriend with commitments issues?

so about a year ago I started talking to a guy, I have. 6 year old daughter and we kept things pretty casual for a while after about 4 months we started dating officially - 6 months I introduced him to my daughter 8 months we ended up moving in together - wich yes all happened very quick. I expressed to him numerous times how complicated things can get when there's a kid involved now we find ourselves living together in the middle a a very ugly custody battle between me and my ex - we've been seeing each other for a year and he's freaking out. We've talked and basically he's stressed and scared he's never been in a relationship this long and he himself thinks he has commitment issues. He's pulling away and he has doubts about if we can actually make this work long term. He says even if we can't make it work in a relationship she still wants me and my daughter in his life and I don't know how to help him work through these feelings. I do honestly believe he cares about us and wants to be with us but I think the stress and his own fears are getting the better of him and he's pulling away. These are his own emotions and he's said himself nothing I've done has caused these feelings so there's nothing to "fix" persay - recently I've just been trying to give him space And let him sort through his emotions himself.

What Guys Said 1

• He doesn't have issues: he's a young man dating a single mother who's in an ugly divorce battle. I'd say he had issues if he wasn't having doubts...

He obviously cares for you and your daughter and that's a rare thing you should cherish. You have to try to put his mind at ease, through actions and words.

I don't disagree he's the one who says he has "commitment issues" I guess this is the longest relationship he's been in and people have suggested in the past he's had issues

What Girls Said 1

• "I expressed to him numerous times how complicated things can get when there's a kid involved"
    ^--- "Numerous times"... That was your mistake. You managed to freak him out. I would feel the same way if I were in his position and I would give up.