Do you think it's better to date within your own race?

I wouldn't want to cause trouble with some relatives so I tend to date within my kind. I admit though, I find Rihanna attractive.

However, my younger 19 year-old brother has been dating his girlfriend for 5 months. I'm concerned that it's gonna cause some friction in the family. We're keeping it a secret but they're gonna find out at some point. This isn't the first time he has gone after a dark skinned girl.

• Yes
  • No
  • Other, explain

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe its not a problem, but other people might make it seem like it is. My dad is racist as unfortunate as that is I clearly don't care if he has a problem with who I'm with because at the end of the day I have to be the one happy with whom ever I chose. I actually love dating out of my race and not because it makes my dad mad but because most times they have a different culture they teach me about.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've dated outside of my race. Some of my family was uncomfortable at first, but all of them seem to have come around to it.

It still doesn't seem very accepted by the black community for a black woman to date a white man though, at least from my own experiences and from other stories that I've read on the Internet.

What Girls Said 19

• I'm physically attracted to white guys with hazel eyes, black guys with grey eyes and Latino guys with semi-long hair!! But... my Dad is racist... so... eh. I have dated two Latino guys though... and found myself checking out a few black guys. I have a black female friend and a black roommate and I love them both dearly! F racism!! :)

• I'm happy to date someone out of my race. I do not care about the color of the skin just their personally.

I would too if it were for me (I've seen a couple cute black girls before) but I wouldn't be able to proceed with all the hassle of some of tour family relatives opposing, getting scolded harshly and evento some not talking to me.

So between going through all that hassle and dating my kind and not dealing with any of that, I'd rather do the later.

I guess for me it means a lot to me in having approval of my family, esp my mother. If I know very well there is one specific thing they will make a big deal about, why even irritate them when I can live a stress-free life dating my kind.

I guess you're not very independent and not a free spirit?

• It's 2016, people can date whoever they want and race shouldn't even be a factor.

• My family isn't in bed with me, so they can fuck themselves.

• My girlfriend is black and she is the best girlfriend that I ever have.

• My girlfriend is Hispanic and I love her!!

They wouldn't mind that too much. My uncle and several relatives are ok with any girl except if he brought home a black girl.

My parents hate that I'm a lesbian and I do not give a fuck.

• I think people should date who they like.

• I think it doesn't matter, you should date who you love.

I would be cool if that was easy but you would have to deal with some family relatives opposing.

I guess that would make things complicated... I hope it works out with your brother.
      (Lol, I realised that sounds like your dating your brother... I'm not changing it)

• Personally me? I've dated, slept with men from all races.. and yet... white men dont find me sexy. . I've never slept with a white guy nor dates one. Where are all my white men at? So to answer your question yes

• I think it doesn't matter. It more matters on the person

• If you love someone it shouldn't matter at all.

• 2 different races don't stop us from being happy
    I find him attractive and thats all.

• No, race shouldn't matter but I do think coming from different cultures can cause problems in the relationship and often times people of different races have different cultures. Of course there are always exceptions.

• I'm fine with any race.

• I can't see myself dating anyone that is not white

Yeah, I don't see myself complicating things by going out of my race. I only date my kind, which are white girls.

I've seen a couple cute black girls before but I'd rather not cause trouble.

Yeah I find white girls and white guys to be better

• i dont have nothing against white men i just could not date one... i dont think?

• I date whoever I find attractive. I don't care about race it isn't 1956..

I have a feeling that you're a racist, and your brother is not unless he's only dating a black girl to piss you and your parents off. Why should it even matter if your brother is dating someone black, it's 2016..

I also have a feeling that you and your family are voting for Donald Trump, who is an absolute joke

And nope, I don't like Trump but Hilary is no better. Both suck.

They are still gonna get upset and make a big deal if they find out not only about his relationship but that I knew it.

Basically my brother is also gonna put me in a hard position.

• I voted yes meaning it's easier, because it's common ground to talk about. With dating outside it's a little awkward at first and you gotta have thick skin from other people's comments.

I personally can't take other people's stares and dirty disapproving looks. Also the ignorant comments or questions the guy im dating asks are just annoying. Then I compare myself to his exes ya too much

Yeah it's a lot of hassle dealing with family dissaproval, not getting their support, your date not getting welcomed and having to explain why, other people staring, questions asked, etc. All that would stressed me out.

Hence why I prefer living a stress-free life by dating within my race... white women.

Lol same here, I have other races as friends but it's too much trouble to date out

I mean as long as there's happiness, might take longer to find but definitely worth it. also I don't want my kids to have identity issues or never feel like they belong or fit in

• For me it doesn't matter. The only people who would care are a few racist people whose opinion I don't care about. My friends wouldn't care and none of my close relatives would care.

What Guys Said 9

• I think statistically, it's just kind of hard to date within my race, considering the overwhelming majority of the women I encounter won't be black.

Seems like a non-issue right up into her segregation generation parents make it an issue ;)

• Well... yeah... I mean HUMANS are more compatible than aliens but I won't discriminate. :v
    s2.quickmeme.com/.../...eb93cd7cf82fd7e826efc3.jpg

• Well, in most cases, you date your own race owing to the compatibility issue. But, what matters the most in a relationship is personality and compatibility and if you manage to find such compatibility with a person from some other reason; it is better than dating someone from your own race who isn't compatible.

• Date whomever you want.
    Enough with this race obsession.

I'm not and if it were for me, he can date whoever he wants. However, this tends to cause hassles in the family and I'd rather not complicate things.

Then it is your family that is wrong not your brother.

• I don't know maybe

• I don't think you can get Rihanna, so don't worry about it. lol

But I can fantasize about her and think she's hot. Thoughts are just thoughts.

I still wouldn't get with her even if I could. I got no patience of dealing with disapproval from my family as well as arguments with them, weird stares from other, probably even cultural differences, etc.

• No. Though personally I'm only attracted to my own race

• I will never date a white girl

• I stay with my own women, never dated outside my culture.