Why do people treat fat people diffrent?

i was use to always getting all the attention from guys and girls girls telling me how pretty i am and guys wanting my number but over the last couple years I've gained over 100 lbs now people are meaner and no one gives me any attention its depressing why can't fat people be just as beautiful?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. We humans tend to go by looks & general perception
    2. Yes a fitter person becomes naturally attractive to most
    3. There are loads of takers for larger people as well but the general populace goes by current trends & this era the trend is fit / skinny so there...
    4. There's always a whole load of psychology to these perceptions based on trend but that's another topic

Most Helpful Girl

• when you were skinnier, did you ever ask a fat guy for his number? or thought "damn, he's cute"? or even spared him a look?

Ouuuuu...🔥

you have a boyfriend already.. are you not happy? don't you two love each other? why would you care about other people? are you one of those "attention whores" people complain about?
      "i hate skinny guys ew!" well I'm sorry but a lot of people feel that way about fat people, myself included

im happy not a attention whore at all! and thats fine you dont like fat people! lmao

What Guys Said 13

• Because fat isn't beautiful. As simple as that.
    I think if fat people put the energy they're wasting on whining, into losing weight, getting healthy, and fit, they would live a much happier life, but hey, I understand that it's easier and more comfortable to whine laying on the couch with the remote on one hand and a doughnut on the other.

You result to insults cause you're hurt by my words... there must be a reason to why they hurt ;)

people like you thats rude to other people cause of thier weight is nasty and you dont know what people go through i have a condition that make me put on weight and hard to lose it

That's what they all say, but you never see them eating healthy anyways xD

• Honestly, I don't think I treat fat people differently, though I might when it's morbid obesity (at least subconsciously). It's not only shocking, but it's painful and awkward to watch, and I wish to help them because they aren't helping themselves. Some fat people know it and own it, and others are in denial that they cause that harm to themselves. It's as simple as watching your diet, and adopting exercise as routine.

Here's the thing: Most people who are obese, are obese by choice. Period.

The most common cause of obesity because of a medical condition is Hypothyroidism, which only 12% of the population have. Followed by Cushing's syndrome which is rarer. If you don't have either of these two diseases you are statistically and factually obese by choice, or bad parenting.

i have hypothyroidism

thank you for your input! im going to look into all this.

You're welcome.

• I find bigger women attractive, it's all in the attitude too. You can be a model, but if you're attitude is nasty, guess what it makes you ugly

• I work out, I ride my bike long distance (40k+), I eat healthy, and I'm in school. I work hard on being the best possible person I can be.

Why would I pay any attention to a girl who doesn't put in an equivalent amount of effort into being the best person she can be?

Isn't that TRUE gender equality?

well thats you everybods diffrent soo keep doing what your doing!

• The same reason we'd take better care of a Nissan GTR vs a Honda Civic

Sometimes they get different treatment because in a world with a lot of choice and mobility it means tailored to you 'type of friends' and 'mates' if you so choose to. We as a society have become accustomed to desiring what others want, which indirectly creates value and worth in a submarket

• I have little to no respect for fat people, especially those who claim it isn't their fault. Anyone can lose weight if they put their mind to it.

I'm also quite a healthy person.

you sound dumb! scram

Lol @brucejender how is that even remotely logical. No, this isn't my question.

he's dumb!

• Because letting yourself get fat shows a lack of self control and certain personality traits. It's also unhealthy and simply not attractive.

what if you have a medical condition that you can't help either I be fat and happy or skinny and miserable

yup!!! i bet none of them have it!

just chill its not that serious!

• Fat isn't attractive. Why would it be?

• I don't unless they are mean to me
    http://i.imgur.com/psq5rqj.gif

• I don't care about weight, when I wanna be nice to someone I am nice because they have a good attitude. Though I can admit my first impression would be a little meh but I don't judge a book by its cover too much. I think it's mostly because there's too many judgy people and assholes. Don't let them get u down.

• cos its not good to be fat.

• There are 2 kind of fat people the miserable and depressed ones and the ones who are totally cool with being fat and own it as a part of themselves.

im ok with my size... its just depressing i guess when people treat you diffrent

• I mean yeah, people dislike overweight people. What i find interesting is the heart can't tell between types of weight. Whether you're fat or have too much muscle your heart can't tell between the two. Either is equally unhealthy. This excuse of "unhealthiness" is crap, people don't like fat people in the end.

Good news, you're younger and will likely lose whatever weight having learned how shallow people really are.

What Girls Said 8

• Because thinness is considered a status symbol and if you aren't thin enough you aren't considered good enough. People are basically given permission by society to be rude if they don't consider you thin enough.

Do you think it's a coincidence that poor people tend to be more overweight and have less access to the things that enable people to be thin?

On a different not I also have hypothyroidism and I totally feel you on how frustrating it is. Have you talked to your doctor about another type of pill? There are supposed to be natural options as well.

• Because people are egocentric... put it this way fat people are no better or worse then skinny people in the end we all have the same size casket... but if you were to place a healthy fit persons picture next to obesity which would you logically think would be choosen... you are what you are attracted to... and a lot of times its in your head, a lot of guys go for thick chicks its all a mental game a thick woman can be just as hot as a thin... but the said part is your basing your emotions on others approval of your body (you stated they were mean, you gained 100pds and referenced a past time ) almost feels like you have a shame to acknowledge and move forward from it... either embrace your god given (and cupcakes) curves or get the fawk over it... there is a study that maybe 7-1000 people will actually have the power to make you remember rejection in 2years. . that makes them the odd balls... so next time instead of getting butthurt because the girl infront of you got the free drink maybe be thankful you have the option to be in control and buy your own... and if your still butt hurt CHANGE.. you put it on you can take it off

• If i always clean my room and decorate it nicely, people who come inside my room will tell me how nice/cute/lovely/cozy/ it is...

If I don't take care of my room and leave all my clothes everywhere and just lose interest in keeping it well kept, do you think people will compliment my room just the same as they did before? Obviously not, if anything they'll tell me to clean it up if they say anything at all...

This applies to ANYTHING in general... If it's well kept, (whatever it is) people will like the view... If you add nice decorations here are there, change it up a bit with different styles more people will be wowed or amazed by it and such... but if you simply do not care to keep something visually appealing, NOBODY will be attracted to look or even come and stay there... be it a body, a car, a house, a room, a garden, anything! If it looks careless, people will not care for it either.

Having said that, I hope you don't think that I mean all fat people should not be treated nicely... that's besides the point... I'm focusing on the aspect of you saying you don't get complimented as much and such...

• Because that's something that usually (not always) one can have control over and it is a sign of letting oneself go. It's not an excuse to be rude to anyone, but you have to expect to get less attention if you let yourself go. It's common sense. Fat is not attractive because it's aesthetically pleasing, it's an unhealthy look, its usually a sign of laziness. If someone takes care of their body, works out and eats well, it's looked as a positive, and the opposite will be looked at as a negative. None of this needs to be explained, it's common sense.

Of course this is not always the case cause of medical situations, but other than that, this is pretty much it.

Then you will always have chubby chasers and fat fetishists, like the ones that swarm this site. So there's no excuse for a fat woman not to find a guy. no matter what the affliction or condition, there's a horny guy waiting to pounce on her...

It's NOT aesthetically pleasing i meant...

yes but i still love my body with the weight

well as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

• I guess because in reality being over weight connects with being unhealthy, lazy etc. A million of stereotypes and some are true, I don't know why you should be looked down upon by any means but not everyone is attracted to bigger people but doesn't mean they have to treat them worse.

thats crazy just cause your overweight ur lazy? i have a Medical problem that keeps weight on me and take medaction that causes weight gain so i dunno if i said be fat and happy or skinny and miserable... people always assume just cause ur over weight ur lazy smh

• Because people treat unattractive people differently which is unfair and wrong. Since fat is generally considered unattractive in this society I'm assuming they find you less attractive than before - and I'm not trying to bash you by the way. I think it's terrible that people are mean to you. I can see guys not paying as much attention to you but mean isn't cool.

nobodys mean to me. i just see a lot of other overweight people being treated very mean its sad

No sorry that last part was me talking to the person who downvoted my comment

oh ok

• I don't know I guess thin is seen as more attractive. I know what you mean though. My weight has been all over the place from obese to overweight to normal to overweight to obese and now normal. When I was bigger people didn't really care what I had to say, nobody bothered getting to know me. Now people actually seem interested in me and guys talk to me. It's annoying because I like getting to know people for who they are on the inside. Most people just aren't like that I guess, but it's their loss for missing out on a cool person they could be friends with.

I also wonder if my facial expression improves with less fat because I have a resting bitch face. Lol

but I guess people are just friendlier and more drawn to what is appealing to the eye, and people find thin appealing.

• Maybe cause.. They're just not attractive. Or it's a sign of poor health