What do you think about splitting the bill on a first date?

Assuming there is a bill, what would you think if you split the bill on a first date? Keep in mind we live in 2016, not the 1400s and women have jobs. I don't see why this is an issue. Yeah women want to know if a guy is committed/interested but if you're proof of commitment is money, in my opinion you have a very shallow view of dating.

• No, that would be the first and last date
  • I don't mind splitting the bill
3mo Splitting as in you pay for your stuff, I pay for mine

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't mind doing it. I would pay for my things. But in all honesty, I would think about whether or not you are true gentlemen. Point: not all girls support this feminist bs. Just pay for my cheap meal. It doesn't matter for you but to me and most girls it will mean much. Trust me. (even if I'm about to get d'voted by catfishes and guys).

Why is being a gentleman important? Do you expect guys to see you as a traditional lady (as in cook, clean, stay at home all day)?

No I will work but I will cook and clean (I don't mind doing that). And gentlemen are always who are preferred to girls. I like when my guy is courteous and does what traditional men do. I don't want to sound cheap but it's nice when guy is willing to put in some money to pay for cheapest meal on menu (that's what I always get).

"Point: not all girls support this feminist bs."

Agreed, but you need to realize that for most of us this tends to be the default assumption, based on real life experiences.

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, what does it being 2016 have to do with anything? Why does it being 2016 automatically make it better?

Secondly, it's "your" in this context. "Your" indicates possession or ownership. "You're" is a contraction of "you are". Please ask YOUR English teacher to pay closer attention to YOUR work (seeing as YOU'RE under 18 and still in school).

Third, paying for a date doesn't mean "proof of commitment", love, or affection. Paying for a first date is simply the proper thing to do. If you've seen things you like about someone and you are inviting them to spend time with you, then you should be the one to pay. If you invite someone over to your house for the first time, would you expect them to clean it up and order or cook the food? This goes for both guys AND girls; whoever asks pays.

Now again, that's just the first date. If I ask a woman out, we go out, set up a second date and she wants to pay for that one or split the bill, that's fine. But for the first datex whoever asks should be the one to pay.

And so what if women have jobs these days? A few months ago after church, a whole bunch of us went out for brunch. My roommate was with us and he paid for EVERYONE and we all had jobs, some of them very well-paying. What do you think about that? Was he trying to win everyone's affection or friendship?

What Girls Said 26

• I don't mind doing that I'd probably prefer that as I'm a very independent person and I hate when other people pay for my stuff even if it's just buying me drink. Even in couples if one person pays for one date night and then the next date night the other person pays.

Thank you someone else who agrees, I was thinking I'm the only girl on gag

One of the date nights my friend had is, he paid for the meal and she paid for the hotel room. I thought that was quite fair.

@19magic yeah that's fair

• I would prefer to split the bill, even on the first date. I like to split the bill with my boyfriend now or switch off so one pays one time, the other pays the next and we've done that since the start.

• Take ya cheap ass somewhere else. At least wait for the damn second date before u start stretching your hands.

Why isn't it cheap when girls don't pay?

@tyrantfuryre i wish i could be laughing as well but im actually sickened.. i dont know how a slit between her legs is supposed to give her free meals and shit

Why is it cheap if tge guy won't pay for both if you on a first date but not if the woman won't pthefir herself?

• I don't mind splitting the bill. I always feel very blessed when someone pays for my meal. I always try to reciprocate

• I dont mind, just if someone invites me I expect them to pay since THEY invited me.

• My boyfriend and I have 'split the bill' throughout our entire relationship. Unless it's one of our birthdays or something.

• I think it comes off as cheap and petty to expect the person to split a bill when YOU asked them on a date. If they offer to split, cool, but don't expect it.

Personally, I think whomever invites should be prepared and happy to pay.

After that, they should take turns. Myself, if I ask a guy on a first date I will pay. If he asks me, I'll offer to cover something but I would be very put off if he asked me to before I made the offer. I don't like splitting cheques, I think that's just tacky, but if we go bowling or something, I'll offer to take him out for a round of beers afterwards, something like that.

• Splitting is great for consecutive dates, but it goes a long way towards making a good first impression if a guys offers to pay for the first date.

• Lol. If he is splitting the bill, it's over. What happened to being a gentleman?

Why does he have to pay for your shit? He doesn't owe you a damn thing.

Yes I do actually.

@bobbyxx No you actually don't because you're not a woman. I can't take you seriously sorry πŸ˜‹πŸ™…πŸ’…

• I don't mind splitting the bill at all. It's a small price to pay in realizing he's not a keeper.
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2105829-there-has-been-an-ongoing-debate-on-who-should-pay-for-a-first-date

When you are still children and most likely just going out to have fun with your allowance, splitting is fine. My comments refer to adult, grown up dating world where looking for a life mate.

Hat if he is gentlemanly in the way he acts but still vets screwed over

@MysteriousDarkness when you say screwed over, do you mean not getting second dates? Because that's not getting screwed over. Hopefully you know there is more to gaining a girls affections than just being a gentleman.

• I hate these questions... I don't mind splitting the bill. If it that's a big deal for you boys to pay for a little coffee date I'll pay it my damn self.

• my life motto is offer but never insist so I would offer once but if he says no I am not fighting him on it.

• If a man asks me out and then asks me to split the bill it would be our one and only date.

If I asked HIM out I would pay for the entire meal.

Well now I'm confused... because there's a good 5% chance that you will actually ask him out whereas there's a good 95% chance that he will ask you out.

These sorts of manipulative strategies are the reason I only casually date/hook up now...

@10dsw casual dating is great, casual hook ups in my opinion are sad.

@Table20 dude, I'm married.

• I don't mind splitting the bill or paying for my portion, especially if I don't plan on sleeping with him any time soon or at all but I'm not paying for the whole meal.

• I don't mind and rather do that so I don't feel like I owe someone money.

• No.
    I'm a picky eater and I don't eat a lot while the people I go out with usually always eat a lot so having me pay half just isn't fair. I'll pay for my salad or falafel, you pay for whatever you're having. It's the Jupiter way 👍

• I like splitting the bill. But it's also nice to be treated to a nice dinner. Sometimes I'll treat my date as well.

• I would always offer to AT LEAST split the bill

• There are some things in life I do not do 1] I do not split the bill as when I am on a date as I do not carry money or cards 2] I do not travel in these long tube like things that run underground with people crushed like sardines and 3] I do not go into McDonalds or Burger King bars as they full of unwashed people carrying disease. Next question!

Why do you not carry money or a card?

@Glue-Sniffer that is funny.

@bobbyxx wow these comments got out of hand

• I'm old fashioned and if the man asks the girl out he should pay. Further down the line maybe split but the first few dates a girl should be wooed

• I would prefer to why are u anonymous

I find it better to go anon so I don't get spammed with hate when I voice my opinion on something

O ok I don't see Why you would get hate for this but ok so how old are you

People tend to dislike my opinion, so I've gotten used to going anon lol. I'm 17 by the way

• As long as he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, whatevs.

Exactly. It's a huge turn off I'd he's aggressive about it.

I had a guy once who asked me out for drinks. We only had one round of beers and no food, and when the bill came the server placed it in front of him and before I even had a chance to say anything he went off about how bullshit it is that they always assume he's got to pay... I was like woah chill dude, if it's that big of a deal I'll pay for my fucking beer... and then he was a dick about it acting like I was being rude because of how I said it. So I went alright fuck it, bill's yours I'm out... and left.

• It depends on how the issue came up as going to dinner for a first date.. if he asked me than yes I'm old school I would hope he would pay BUT I definitely would ask if I could get the tip.

Only the tip lol?

@anonman32 lmao

@tyrantfuryre at least someone understands lol.

• You are under age so splitting the bill is not a big deal, I'm pretty sure you are too young to get a job at your age.

I'm in my 20s so when it comes to dating if a guy wants to split the bill on our first date I will assume that he just wants to be friends, of course I will pay my half but I will most likely not try to further it

What a close minded attitude!! This dude is trying to know what's right to expect or not expect, do or not do, and your response is "your too young, go back to maccies"? Wow.

Just so you know, I had a job at 16, paid for a car and car insurance. But yeah, under 18 year olds have no concept of money.

Trust me asker. You will waste a lot of money on women you don't know very well over your lifetime and our liberal feminist society will never make a peep about it.

That is a load of crap to expect the guy to pay for both of you. What if he feels lije he is being used if you do not pay for yourself?

• I think whoever does the asking should pay. So if a girl asked a guy out for dinner she should pay and if a guy asks a girl out he should. I'm weird about people paying for me so my go to move is if the date is going well and we go to the movies or dinner or something I'll get I've cream after wards

Most of the time girls dont ask out guys, they make guys do it. Thats unfair to guys especially if you dont have money. It should be split 50 / 50 most of the time

@bjjk067

Women ask guys out all the time... some don't, sure, but I also know some guy's who never ask anyone out.

If you've never been asked out its not because women never do that... it's because they just don't ask YOU out..

@Sara413

What age range are you talking about that a lot if girls ask guys out? And how attractive are they?

I agree if these girls a nearing 30, but hot 18-24 year olds no. 30 year olds in general make moves whether hot or not. The guys i know (including me) talk about how older girls that age just walk up and talk to you and pick YOU up, while 18-24 year old hot girls make you do most of it a lot of the time.

However ugly and decent looking girls will chase you and ask you out a lot if you're well sought after. But hot ones dont unless you do it , if their young.

I've been asked out, id expect to get commonly asked out by a girl nearing her 30's or so, but girls who are hot and 18-24 tend to make the guy do everything, not all the time though.

For some reason they get pretty bold in sexual advances towards me though in all age ranges 18 and up. But when it comes to asking out, hot girls dont chase you and ask you out when their young like 18-24.

• No, I believe men have their role and women have theirs. Happily married couples who've been together forever, see how they're both equal in their relationship but they both still have their roles and bring different things to the table. They work together with him doing some stuff and her doing others. It's not just a man should pay and he has no other roles and she has no roles at all, it's just that that's one of the man things to me.
    It's not like a women belong in the kitchen and men should only work and provide for himself her and the family, but for me, i still like gender rolls to a certain extent.

Yep especially were money is concerned and paying for it. Just like most women, only equal rights on whatever suits women.

I have dated some women who were not broke but still expected the guy to pay.

@MysteriousDarkness paying for a date is normal, that doesn't mean going out to some very expensive restaurant, it could just be coffee.
      Other guy is talking about women using men for this reason, and if they're doing that honestly they must have issues because it's not normal.

What Guys Said 28

• If I was out on a date with someone and the girl stated she wanted to split the bill, then I wouldn't have an issue with it, because she's expressed her desire, and I've no standing to argue the point. I would, I feel, state my position as I would prefer to pay for the date, because in my mind that is how I was raised and personally feel what a gentleman should do, but if she insisted, then I see no reason to make a big issue over it.

It doesn't cost me anything to acquiesce to the request to split the bill and it would make her feel better about the date and hopefully show I respect her opinions and desires, which would improve our relationship in the end overall. It is a win--win situation in my view.

• I would like to pay for a first date.

Why? Well, it's partially because I'd more than likely be the one doing the initial pursuing. But it's also because I just think it's the gentlemanly thing to do. That's just how I was raised -- it is what it is.

If dudes are super worried about paying for a first date, then why not just do something affordable? You don't gotta take a woman to some stuffy white-tableclothed restaurant in order to show her a good time. Use your imaginations.

This!!! A real MAN on this thread.

Exactly. Whenever guys ask this question on here (which is all the fucking time), they always ask it assuming that dates are expensive...

I've literally never in my life gone to a 5 star restaurant on a first date... that's a terrible idea for a first date! Lol

Do something fun... go mini golfing or bowling... grab a round of beers and an appie... grab a drink and walk through a park... go skating...

None of those things are expensive, and all of them lend the opportunity for the asker to pay for the main activity while the invitee has the opportunity to cover something else (like a snack or drink or something). Win-win.

Besides, if you ask a person to go to a fancy expensive restaurant with you, it is incredibly rude to them foist the expectation of splitting the bill on them... YOU chose to take them there, YOU need to be prepared to pay.

• I'd rather split the bill or each pays what they ate.
    I'd end up broke af if I have to pay for every date xD

With how the dating scene is nowadays, it's not worth it to pay for the date. You hear about "that's how you show you appreciate the girl" or "that's being a gentleman", but if paying is the only way to determine if he's a gentleman or not, she's only with you for the money.
    Also, if a man shows appreciation by paying, how does the girl show appreciation?

I wouldn't say no to paying if I asked her out, but if she wants to date me, why would I have to pay for her time?

To me it just sounds like a way to take advantage of something that worked back in the day, and now it's just being used as a way to get free stuff, it really has nothing to do with being a gentleman or not, it all has to do with not spending money on something that it's most likely not gonna lead to anything.

• listen here man, dont go on a first date that costs money. the reality is that many women may take advantage of your gentlemanly behavior and mannerisms. therefore paying for someone elses food is not a good idea.

many women expect a man to be a gentleman, but they have not the slightest idea what a lady is. why would you ever be a gentleman to a woman that is not a lady? that makes no sense at all. and besides paying for someone else's food is unnecessary and although women say it means a lot, it means jack shit. i really dont see the purpose of paying for a womans food on the first date;

• I'm very old fashioned I always pay not matter if she's a friend, family or date etc.

I hate it when or if she pays/buys it.

the money has nothing to do with yes it's only money and I have lots off it but I don't make a big deal about it.

• I voted no. I believe that for the first date I should be the one asking her out. In which case I should be the one to pay.

I know it's not part of the question but... if we arranged a date where we both came up with ideas, then I would be happy to split the bill.

• The raw data says you'll get a better response from paying, regardless of what women say.

• I follow the "whoever ask the other person, the asker have to pay" rule. We can then split on second date if the other person wishes (if there even a second date)

Maybe girls don't approach guys so often so that they don't have to play by that rule
      *Queue suspension music*

Ummm no. Most girls are SUPER afraid of rejection, and society say guy should approach first so they follow that.

Money ain't even an issue as long it not some super fucking fancy restaurant.

It was obviously a joke. But you can't just ignore the guys here. Guys are afraid of rejection too

• Look, I don't know her, she doesn't know me. I don't owe her shit, nor she to I. You're getting together to see if you connect and want to persue. Paying for her shit is like paying for her time and saying her time is more valuable than yours. Again, F* that.

• Not going to ever happen. If a girl I was dating got truly upset that I paid for it that would be the only date she was lucky enough to go on with me.

• A lot of women are okay with it - that puts them ahead of the rest.

• I don't like paying twice, especially for a girl that I barely know, so splitting the bill is the way to go, some women are just wanting to have it both way, even though like you said already, most women have job in our time, unlike in the past.

• So if I ask the girl out, I'll definitely pay the bill. I don't see what the big issue is. If you can't pay then don't ask anyone out.

• First, second or third date that's fine if I pay, but when it gets more serious I think it's fair to split.

• Splitting the bill is a good thing!

There is no pressure and nobody feels used.

• I'd for sure be willing to pay always.

• First date, guy pays. That's how I was raised. I would be more insulted than anything if a girl tried to pay.

• I would have no problem splitting the bill

• That, or whoever decides where they're going out to pays.

• i would pay the bill
    but if she thinks i should like some obligation she can kiss my middle eastern ass :p

• Regardless of what you think about gender equality, why cockblock yourself?

I'm not going to go against my beliefs and opinions to impress a girl, that's just being fake

I never said I was going for those girls lol

• I think you should split on the first date, because her time is not more valuable than mine.

While that maybe true, what is the point of the date? To gain/establish rapport with the female right? In this case, ONLY her feeling/interest level in you matter. And trust me, it's much better if you pay on the first date.

@1GuyOpinion well, she also has to gain your favor

• I don't mind splitting the bill

• Lol how they don't cry equality when something's convenient for them

• funny that 40% of the women on her say it's a deal breaker/insult to split the bill. I wonder how many of those 40% identify as "feminists" in situations that would benefit them.

However I will have to say that if you want to get laid you almost HAVE to pick up the bill on the first date, however be careful. Some girls will string you along for free meal tickets. Watch the girls body language throughout the date. Is she looking at her phone ever 15 seconds? Is she not paying attention to what you are saying? Is she not making eye contact? If you get a bad vibe it's worth it to ask to split the bill. Also you are young and I imagine you don't have much money. Splitting the bill might be fair for high schoolers.

• thats how i roll.. if she ate, she pays for what she ate.. how is it possible that women get away with making men pay for everything?

• If my date wanted to split it then that would be fine. I wouldn't ask her to split it if she didn't bring up the subject though. It's really a double standard in society that men are still expected to be chivalrous despite women pushing for equality.

• I will never be with a woman who refuses to pay for her own shit.