Did he ask me out because of the bet? or because it was me?

So this guy (I've lowkey liked for years but never really talked to) asked me out last week. We'd been joking around and he was fake complaining that his friends told him he didn't have any game and then he asked me to go on a date with him. I told him that I couldn't tell if he was serious or not and he said he sorta was. I asked him if it was just to prove a point to his friends and he said yes but it wouldn't have to end after the point was made. I told him that he's really cute and likable but I'm not going on a date as a bet. He said he understood but I wouldn't be able to say no forever. We've been talking since then and most of the time I think he's into me (he got a little bit jealous when I told him about a waiter hitting on me and he also told me I'm really cute), but sometimes he seems uninterested and it really throws me off. My friends think he's into me but he's trying to play it cool. I basically told him I like him so I don't know why he'd do that. He's a really great guy and he usually has a ton of confidence. So do you think he actually likes me or is just playing around? I like him but I've been badly hurt before and I don't want to deal with that again.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah he does the bet thing was probably to feel things out see how you would respond, a test I guess if you freaked out he could play it off as a joke if you where fine with it he could proceed.

So what do you think he thought of my answer?

Not a problem! Good luck!

Thanks for the MHO I hope things work out for you.

What Guys Said 4

• I think the bet gave him the final amount of confidence or drive he needed to ask you out. I agree, his friends and this bet is making things really messy. I would tell him you are interested, but he needs to ask you out genuinely, and not because of pressure from a bet. Tell him to ask you again in a week or two.

• the bet was just what he needed to have the courage to go see you. Who knows, he might have been the one suggesting the bet. If his friends made the bet, why did they do it with you? He must have been talking about you before the bet. "You keep talking about her, I bet you 20$ you don't have the balls to talk to her!"

• He probably does. After all, if he's that confident then he's good enough to simply find someone else. Why would he insist on you?

• He actually likes you. Why is it important if you were a bet.

I don't know. It's kinda degrading I guess? It's not very romantic and I see it as more like, he HAD to ask me and not he WANTED to ask me. Does that make sense?

How is it degrading? Try and see it from his POV. He could be shy (high possibility since you said his friends told him he has no game). He could have a bad experience in asking a girl out. There could be a variety of reasons for "needing this bet." Did you think about that his friends could have chosen another gal for him as this bet? I'm not saying go for the guy or not. Just try to put yourself in his shoes.

Yes, it was a bet. So be it. It could have been that little push that he needed to ask you.

What Girls Said 1

• He is doing it for both reasons.
    If I were you, I wouldn't date him due to the fact that he only approached me as a part of the bet. But that's just me.