Should the bill be 50/50?

I recently went on a date with this girl, the date went great! Until the bill came... usually when I go out with someone for the first time I always ask to go Dutch. Well this time when I said it, her face turned to shock and almost disgust! When I asked what's wrong she replied saying that the guy should have to pay for the meal. I told her that I think we should split it. And she literally opened her purse and slammed the money on the table and stormed out. I haven't seen/spoke to her since. Am I in the wrong?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that it should be. On our first real date, I paid for most of the meal (paying for mine and half my boyfriend's too) but that was just because I'd recommended the place and he didn't like it so I felt bad :P If I hadn't felt bad, we would have split it equally with each just paying for what they had because ehh, making him pay it all would be very unfair. Now, we either just pay for what we each had or one of us will pay the whole bill and the other will pay next time and it evens itself out.

Most Helpful Guy

• 50/50? No.
    Pay your own way? Yes.

Going dutch is a FANTASTIC!! way to weed out the low quality women who have ZERO respect for the men they date, the entitled princesses, the user's, gold diggers, the children who want a "daddy," and the generally shitty women who have a problem being a decent human being.

You 100% did the right thing, it's her who is in the wrong so don;t sweat it and count your self lucky that you avoided getting entangled with such a monster! Imagine actually being married to someone like that? /scary shit

What Girls Said 11

• No you aren't in the wrong. Some women are too old fashioned, seriously.

She needs to pull her head from her ass and realise the world isn't revolving round her. Honestly, things like this get me heaps mad.

• No you wasn't wrong.
    It hers problems that she out of blue expected has her meal to be paid by you.

• ... Wow, drama queen.

• Nothing wrong at all. Especially for a first date, weeds out the spoilt gold digging girls. I generally feel really uncomfortable if someone pays for my food unless I make up for it and pay for the next dinner. I always go Dutch for everything.
    Plus she seems really dramatic... You got away early lol, good for you. 😂👏🏽

• She acted like a big ass baby lol All of that really wasn't necessary and I'm embarrassed for her that she would allow her emotions to overrule her to the point where she became that classless. I can't believe she slammed her fist like a kid throwing a tantrum. She's certainly in the wrong for having the entitled attitude that you were supposed to pay for her food.

However, you have to be realistic about the fact that the chivalrous, gentlemanly thing to do is to treat the girl for the first date. You're going to look cheap and stingy if you don't. I don't expect a guy to pay and I wouldn't mind splitting the bill, but I'd also wonder if he's too broke to be taking a girl out on a date. No guy I've ever dated has let me pay for the date and would look at me like I'm crazy when I offered.

• No you are not in the wrong. For the first date, usually the guy does pay, but that is just tradition. You would be absolutely right in reasoning that if two people share the enjoyment of a date, it is appropriate for both to pay half and half. She should have, after her initial surprise, realized, "well, it is only fair and it makes sense." Maybe she was just so used to guys paying that when you asked to split it, she was at first shocked, then embarased at her shock... then she covered that up by acting like it was totally unreasonable.

• If you've invited her to that restaurant you should obviously pay the bill, same with inviting a friend, it's basic etiquette that whoever invited pays the bill. If you both just agreed to go on a date and the restaurant was a mutual and spontaneous decision, everyone paying for what they're having is the way to go.

• It's good to split the first date.
    The only reason I can think of only one person paying is for like taking someone out for their birthday or a celebration of some kind, it's good to treat each other.
    Or unless one person just wants to cover it regardless, without a reason. But that's a personal choice and probably for way later in an established long term relationship.

• Lol omg spoiled princess. Good riddance, she's probably the type of girl to reject your proposal because the diamond wasn't big enough
    -____-

• i mean if you can't afford going on a first date then there something wrong , but honestly i would expect 4th date to pay for it , if she offers it.
    if you are a gentlemen you would pay its always happen ,

• You're in the right! Chalk it up to waving the red flag that she was spoiled and entitled.

One thing that can be annoying, though, is if you eat and drink far less than your date and split the bill evenly. So be mindful of that if you aren't splitting in the sense of each getting your own stuff.

What Guys Said 18

• You did the right thing. She is probably spoiled by all the thirsty guys that worship her

• You dont want to date a girl like thst anyways, at least i dont.

• Personally, I would pay the bill because it is the gentleman thing to do on the first date. Now, over the course of time, it works out to be 50/50 because you take turns. Next date she can pay or whatever. Splitting a bill is messy money wise because you put pressure on someone to have exact change or it becomes awkward for the cashier to ring in items separately and try to figure out the tax and tip. I think splitting a bill like that is cheap and bit of a douchy move.

• The way I think about it, is tin these modern times the one who asks is the one who should pay, if I ask her out I'll cover she me she should... Unless you specifically speak about it before the date then that's a safe assumption.

• She's being a cunt. At least she showed her true colors. Even if she could justify it the weird face and the storming out is fucking childish and boring

• Yes, it should. It doesn't matter who asked who out. The point is to get to know someone, and if a woman insists that a man pays for her meal, then she's probably just leading him on for free food.

• Unless you are taking her out to a really fancy and expensive restaurant despite knowing she can't effort to pay or knowing she didn't want to spend that much , then yeah 50/50 sounds equal.

• yeah i think so.
    not that your were wrong or right but its just that food is expensive as hell.

and she tried to get over on a full meal. the only way im paying for a full meal if she delivery a full experience of those bunz.

the fuck

• No, but she is old fashioned and thinks the guy should pay.

I do it all the time, most girls are shocked, others blush, it's all different :)

• No your not. You did the right thing. Screw she ain't worth your time and certainly not your money.

• my man u are great
    no free meals for whores

• Who asked for the date?

Obvouslly 99 times out of 100 the guy asked.

I'd say more like 99,999 times out of 1,000,00 guys ask

No the asker should not be expected to pay. You should expect to pay your own way, no one is forcing anyone to say yes.

• She could have discussed it with you like an adult, but she's apparently a child throwing a fit.

• If you invited her, you should pay.

lol that's retarded.
      -Ask a person from work to go for a drink after work = you have to pay
      -Ask a friend to the movies = you have top pay
      -Ask someone if they want to split a cab = you have to pay
      - Ask someone if they want your product = you have to pay
      -Ask someone on a date = you have to pay

What a stupid way to live your life, in my opinion anyway...

@Jager66 I'm talking only about dinner. Movies and other stuff should be split.

I dunno, I don't think that makes it any better, to each their own I guess

• No she pays 100% or it isn't happening it's more for her benefit then mine

true

@Segey lol have you only been fucking starfish women in bed or what? 😂

@Rainie_ like I did its more for her benefit anyways

• i think her reaction showed you dodged the bullet.

wether I pay full depends on multiple factors like how real the date is or when she put me under pressure to go on a date with her

• Women confuse me on dates... some women say men should pay... some say it should be split... some say the person who asked should pay... my advice... don't date... go fishing... way better than a girl

Man those fish are awesome

• Forget about her. She sounds spoiled.