Girls, would you mind paying the bill on the first date?

Girls, would you mind paying the bill on the first date?There's a lot of first date talk on g@g and who should pay for the first date. I'm asking this question as an experiment and I want to know if times have changed. Do girls still expect for the guy to pay, or is it different now, and we now split the bill or have the girl pay? I am very interested to see how the girls answer this and what the guys would think. :)

• No, I wouldn't mind at all.
  • It depends on if I like the person or not.
  • I would go in half of the total cost.
  • I would want him to pay for my meal.
  • I'm a guy/I want to see the results.
3mo I would at least pay half of the bill. I would feel bad even if he insisted.

Most Helpful Guy

• Okay, so this is how I do it:

- I expect the female to offer to pay for her part
    And if she does that, then I'm like nonono I'm going to pay
    And she should be like "no, I'm paying my half"
    And then I pay for both parts

That's great because at least she wanted to pay for her part
    ---

But if I'm there and she's like
    - Okay you dickholder, pay for my meal to worship my womanly charm (read: vagina) because you're the Man and it's your job to pay because I'm a Woman and this is what I deserve for being a Woman and blah blah blah

Then I just want to be like "fuck you, you horrible person, I sure hope you'll get hit by a bus or something"

Simple logic, really; if you're a decent human being, people won't mind paying for you, because you wouldn't mind paying for yourself

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion, whoever asked out the other person should be prepared to pay. Of course, offering to pay your share is still nice. That being said, dates don't have to cost a lot of money. I wouldn't even mind if we did something that was FREE! I'm perfectly happy just hanging out and talking to get to know someone. I like hiking and other outdoor activities that don't cost anything at all.

In my established relationship though, I have paid for my boyfriend plenty of times. Sometimes he pays and sometimes I do. We never split the bill, one of us always just pays for the other. It's not a big deal.

This is a topic that really just depends on the individual couple and what works best for them. It's not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. Some people are more traditional than others and that's okay. People should do whatever they feel is best for themselves.

What Guys Said 72

• Thanks for A2A!
    Good question.

First of all, lemme laugh a bit.. hahahaha xD
    Is this? THIS is really a subject for discussion? If you think that much about paying about dates, how are you supposed to enjoy your time with each other?

Anyway, there are three common beliefs :-
    ●Men should always pay
    ●They should pay one's part
    ●Whoever approaches for date should pay

1. Men should always pay =
    Common etiquette. We all have been raised by telling that this is how it is supposed to be. Personally, I don't care even a little bit if I have to pay every time. I feel proud to do so and it gives me a feeling of dominant leader. It doesn't cost me financial problems either. But how about a comman man? What if he barely manages to pay his rent and college fees? Will he forever stay single then?

2. They should pay one's part =
    I find this to be the cheapest thing. This clearly separates you two if this is your basic rule in your life. How will you live together? The woman will pay the electricity bill of refrigerator as she spends time in kitchen and the man will pay for air conditioner as he spends time in the living room? This just doesn't work. Your souls are not connected if you do partitioning.

3. Whoever approaches for date should pay =
    Good. I approached her so, it's my responsibility to show her that I'd pay for her expenses, if I'm paying I'm better than the other guys, I'd show myself worthy. Really? What if SHE appreciated me? Would I be comfortable if she paid for our first date following by proposing me? I would feel that she's trying too hard. Is she 'buying' me? Would she feel the same way if I did that? Probably not. Why? Because that's not how the society functions.

_____

So, what's we gonna do now? Honestly, nothing!
    Guys should pay. It's our pseudo responsibility as it's the responsibility of girls to clean the house and make us delicious food. We created rules for a reason. For a stable society.

If he can't pay, he should be upfront and it must be understood by the girl as she's dating him, she should understand his background, consequences and feelings. So, she should pay then.

They could rotate the turns too as there are gold-diggers who just want luxuries and really hate their partner and players who believe that a prostitute would cost $200 while a date would cost only $100 for ONS. Rotation would dissipate the speculations.

• I think the question should have just been, "Girls, would you mind paying on a date?"

a lot of guys go in knowing or wanting to pay for the first date, and do so without complaint. However, I know many guys who pay for the MAJORITY if not all of them.

Girls, you have to understand why some guys get upset. Making guys pay for a lot of things makes us feel like your entire perspective is that your time is worth more than ours, and that we should provide monetary incentive.

It makes it a transaction, and what should be a fun time with equal parts of effort on both sides to get to know each-other becomes a man paying for attention.

If you don't go to get to know him better, but go just for the "free food", you are a gold digger.

I'm not saying all guys or girls think this way, just trying to explain some view points on the issue.

• Thank you young lady 😊 will opine though it says 'question for girls' 😋

I could well have been born 500 years hence & my fav movie still would be Kate & Leopold.

While id prefer paying the same way I hold the door open, pull out the chair etc but in the current era chivalry is often perceived as patronising & as challenging the girl's individuality or ability, I watch for signs if there is no direct communication regarding the same. The idea is to make her comfortable & feel cherished immaterial of who pays or we go Dutch. offer I will to begin with but not insist to a point of her discomfort

• Dating means guy is looking for potential mate!.. - So what I personally think is if a guy is not able capable for paying for his first date!.. What proves that he is currently not capable of going into a successful relationship!..
    In my personal view!.. I won't date unless I am capable of paying for everything!..
    And first date don't need to be fucking expensive!.. However if she wants to go to fucking expensive date then it can mean we split the bill only if she is a earning lady without responsibility...

• I think the guy should offer to pay for the first, it's just a nice romantic gesture, and after that they should agree on something, maybe split the payment or alternate.

• I would talk about it, to avoid creating wrong expectations no matter in what direction. I think on a first date 50/50 is a good idea :D

• Men should always pay for all dates 100% period.

lol at votes

If a man can't afford to pay for a date then he shouldn't be dating. It costs women lots of time and money to look beautiful for these guys.

• yea, I wonder how many women would be up for a 2nd date, if they guy said they had to pay any of the first date? I bet very few.
    While I will break up with a woman that doesn't at least offer to pay for one of the 3 dates after the first date, I will never let her pay for the first one.
    Women have it so nice and easy when it comes to dating and sex. ugg...

• Oops read the question wrong. I expect to pay, and strongly prefer it that way. That's just the way I was raised.

• That's a really weird even spread, but as much as paying pisses me off, I still do it because I was raised by women and have a really reluctant sense of chivalry.

• In general, no. In specific circumstances, yes I have a problem with it.

That's why I've always avoided asking girls on dates. I say, "I'm going to X later, you could come if you wanted" or "I'm going to X, you should come". There's no mention of a date, so the assumption is you pay your own way. If she can't afford it, she will tell me so and that's when I make a decision of whether or not I want to pay for her. Not when the check comes. The time to have the conversation is before you go. The same goes for if the girl invites me. I assume I'm paying for myself. If that's an issue, then I speak up.

• It seems, that there is little hope left in society.

Paying for the full bill on the first dates would make me feel used.
    I'd prefer if we (prior to that went on free-cheap dates) split the very first bill, then on the second date I'd cover the full cost and then take turns. To me, that shows, that she IS in fact concerned about men being used as free meals and it's a very good sign to me.

• It's a lot more simple than that. Pay for your own shit. Why do you have to total it up or split it?

• I'm okay paying for it, but the guy always paying for the first date isn't how it should be.

If you wanna know my full opinion, just read what I wrote yesterday on this myTake:
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a31025-what-i-dislike-about-some-gag-men

oh, this one was specifically about girls... well my opinion is the same.

ideally I'd say everyone pays for their stuff, or, in a world where the majority of girls doesn't expect the guy to make the first move, just the one who asks out pays for the first date

well, I don't if she doesn't offer it herself.
      but I think from a logical standpoint, it is the fairest and best solution.

if you date with some random person for the first time, it's really just to get to know each other and see if there is any interest. if she wants a second or third date, then I'll happily make that extra effort and show that I'm willing to work for her.

but the majority of first dates end and nothing happens... so why should the guy always pay? both wanted the date, not just him. I'd say the one asking for the date pays for it if girls would ask guys out as often as they do, but we are far way from that.

Why go on a first or second date that costs?

You and I could play snapchat hide and seek instead of a real date. :P See if you can find me based on my surroundings in a snapchat.

• Wow... all the guys said they wanted to see results like they picked up some prostitute off the street and are looking for a reward. Sad...

Regarding to paying the tab we all have had our financial problems. I suppose if you has those issues then yes paying up would be a problem. To say for me I would pay because that's what men do and money is not an issue for me.

• So as of right now, 75% of women that have responded to this have lied.

Not surprised. Not in the least.

• I'm perfectly fine with it, I expect and prefer to do it anyway.

Oops I just realized I misread the title lol !

I meant to say I prefer to pay for the first date, and I won't let the girl pay for the first date, that's mine to take care of.

• I always say I hate that Im expected to pay the bill as a guy, but in all honesty, I wouldn't want my date to pay for it all on her own either. Id feel bad about it.

The only way it would feel right (for me) is if we both payed for what we each ate.

• I like paying bill for both me and her

• I only pay for people that I hold in high regard. It takes time to earn that level of respect from me.

• More girls voted "yes" than I thought, although i'm a huge advocate of going Dutch to avoid pressure and feeling used.

• If i get asked out, she pays, I ask someone out I pay

• @EllieLexis513 you say to many, as if it is in-proportionate. yet, that isnt' the case. Many women also just want sex. why dont I feel obligated for you paying for my dinner? I am grown, and I dont except someone to pay for me just because of my gender. Also it is relevant, because you are a women, and you stand by such a ignorant notion.

• lets cut the crap
    women will never do that
    they are used to getting free meals
    she might be having 6 figures paycheck
    but won't pay

• The catch 22 "if I ask him out, I will pay!"

*has never asked out a man in her life"

• There are some women who expect the guy to pay for everything, I mean absolutely everything.

You know, the ones who don't accept a (small) romantic gesture for what it is but instead look at the monetary value. This would start to ring 'alarm bells'.

If that was the case and I knew it, would I go out of my way to be a gentleman and pay the bill? Probably. not because it would be expected!

However, if she had her purse with her and was on the verge of picking up the tab then of course I would pay!

• As a girl, I wouldn't mind.

• I once took a girl to the movies with only 20$. When we got there i falsely asked her if she wanted something to snacks, and thank god she said no. After the movie she asked if i wanted to get some drinks, i told her i was broke and she insisted on paying. I lowered my pride and allowed her to buy me a beer.

I broke that girls heart and i resent it until this day.

Some snacks *

Aw well that's sweet of you. You should have told her that you were broke and that you were trying!

No i did.

" i told her i was broke and she insisted on paying. I lowered my pride and allowed her to buy me a beer"

• It's ridiculous for the girl to have pay for the whole meal on the first date. That being said I think some kind of split , for example everyone pays for their own, is best. As the times have changed, I think both need to chip in and value eachothers time.

• She pays for the guy's food? HOW ABOUT WE PAY FOR WHAT WE ORDER?

It's a hypothetical question. -_-

What I want is one of two things: either the asker pays for the date or we pay for what we respectively ordered!

• More from Guys
    42

What Girls Said 80

• I would definitely go halves. I mean, I wouldn't want to pay for the whole bill myself, so why should I expect him to? Especially only just now meeting him. I think things change after being together for a while, you sometimes take it in turns to pay or treat eachother, perhaps.

• For the last 25 years I've been insisting on paying my share of things, and felt that it was best for my security to do so. I never wanted to hear someone say after a failed date, "But I paid for you!" and, "Great, you owe me twelve dollars." I would also drive my own car and leave on my terms. This way if things went well, then great, we go on a second date now that we are getting somewhere. But first date, never.

All too often the guilt-trip of paying for someone else leads to an eventual melt down, usual from the guys, who are sick to death of paying for first-dates only and never getting anywhere with a woman. I removed myself from any potential guilt-trips by agreeing to pay my half and showing up and leaving by my own means of transportation.

I have had a guy insist on paying for a meal, but then I'll insist on paying for something else like the drinks. I've also had people insist because they were the ones doing the inviting, not me.

I believe there are too many princesses out there who are holding on to an old tradition that doesn't apply to today, as much as they wish it did or think they deserve it. When it comes to dating, no male or female deserves something more than the other because of their gender.

• I wouldn't mind at all. If I got mad at the guy for not paying for me, that's basically supporting the fact that I view women as incompetent to make-do on their own. I have a job and expenses just like he does, so there's no reason why he should be expected to pay for anything outside of making the occasional nice gesture. Which would apply to myself, as well.

• I think it's really up to the people on the date. I have no issue paying for a date, but I don't expect to pay for every date. I think most guys would feel the same. It's nice to get treated once in awhile. And I know that most of us don't have a money tree in our backyards to just pay for all dates.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with splitting the bill. And there's nothing wrong with the lady paying, and there's nothing wrong with the guy paying. It all depends on a person's preferences.

• I've never had an expensive first date. Usually it's just coffee or meeting to go for a walk. Also, I usually order something really cheap like hot tea or drip coffee. And more background, I haven't gone on tons of dates with different guys lol.

But in my experience, a guy who doesn't pay turns out to be a douchebag. I spend minimum 2 hours getting ready for a date using hair products, makeup, perfumes, time on putting together an outfit, etc.. Dudes just have to shower, put on clothes and deoderant, and maybe hair gel and colone if they fancy. All my primping costs me money (and I look damn good) so I think its justified that he spends 7 bucks on coffee. Two example dates that ended awful when he didn't pay:
    One guy that didn't pay licked my ear and wouldn't stop telling me I smell good.
    Another it was just obvious he was a lazy person that spent his paycheck on beer.

On the second date is when I start paying for stuff. But it should remain balanced. For example, on the second date with a guy recently he drove 1.5 hours to see me. So, I paid $22 for us to get into a marine exhibit and later he bought us dinner for $21. On the next date he drove 1.5 hours again so I bought movie tickets for $24 and he bought lunch for $35. He still has paid slightly more I guess but I still am paying a good chunk. And he has remarked repeatedly that he can pay for everything if I wsnt. We also have spent hours together just walking on trails or beaches.

I guess when it comes down to it, on the first date and second date I am trying to get a generalization of who the guy is; his hobbies, if he has a job and if he is happy with it, and if he is a gentleman. They are meant to be cheap. To me, a gentleman pays on the first date.

With all due respect to spending a lot of time getting ready You describe spending a lot of time getting ready for a first date that is just a walk in the park. To me that's not a date. If you are going to spend that much time getting ready I would assume you go someplace that's a slice above McDonald's. These casual dates are not dates in my mind. Apparently I'm wrong because a lot of people describe that type of initial first date. When I lived in San Francisco that was more common but I never accepted that. I grew up in New York and the first day that was casual was a day at Central Park at the zoo. But even then lunch at Central Park was expensive. I again revert back to my belief that the more expensive the date the more willing both parties should be willing to split the bill. I use the Broadway show or Carnegie Hall orchestrations preceded by dinner at a northern Italian restaurant. As a matter of fact if that's a first date I still will offer to pay half

• Not at all, the economy sucks and if I have the bank then babe I got you this time.

But if I don't know you or like you period pay your own shit.

• Oh man... gonna get hate. So I think whoever does the asking should do the paying for date one. However, I alwaya go prepared to pay for everything just in case. If he asked me out, and asked me to pay for pur first date, I honestly probably wouldn't go on another with him, not because I'm a gold digger, but because I'm old school, from the south, and I very much appreciate a man who holds those old school values. Second date, I don't mind paying. I also don't even mind if it's a date that needs money or not. One of my favorites dates was with a club DJ, who was in school, and worked at a pizza place. He made us a pizza, then we went to a music store and he played me guitar, drums, piano, and then we just sat and talked and got to know each other. So I also am not looking for much. I'm not a fancy chick.

Once in a while I like to be a fancy chick but when I choose to be so hotsy totsy, I bring along American Express. Once again I bring up the fact that living in New York City is very expensive and one has to assume a different more compromising attitude.

@Sexy774 oh yeah, I bet is different. Well and whatever works. I just really prefer a more traditional man. I like to be a woman and have doors opened for me, a jacket if I'm cold, a first date paid for, while I also enjoy cooking his favorite meal, surprising him at work with all his favorites in his bunk. I like traditional roles to a degree.

@raspberry0416 lol oh I know. Just in case something crazy happens like he dips out mid meal. I have never dated a guy who let me pay for date one though, and the dates I did pay for I had to fight to pay for. But that's been years ago.

• in my opinion i think whoever proposes a date should be the one to pay (limited to the first date), after which it should be ok for either of them to pay the next ones, it doesn't really matter who pays and it shouldn't even have to be a subject for discussion, if you keep thinking about the bill then how are you supposed to enjoy your time together?

So a guy shouldn't worry about a girl just after his money or just looking for a free night out.

• For me, I like to always split the bill in half, even on the first date. I will always offer, and if the man insists on getting it, I let him. I never go into a date expecting for someone to treat me, unless I've been dating them for a while and he's taking me out for valentines day or my birthday, then I expect my meal to be paid for. Even though I expect it, I will still always ask if they want to split it with me because I have no problem paying for what I order.

So when I'm out with my man, we usually split the bill unless he wants to take care of it. Sometimes I'll also insist that I'm going to pay for the both of us.

• I did mostly pay with my boyfriend. We'd already been together for well over a year by the time we actually went on a first real date so maybe our relationship was a little more solid than most first daters but yeah. I recommended that we go to the restaurant and it ended up being a bit shite that day and I felt bad so I think I paid for my meal and half of the cost of his meal too. I generally prefer splitting the bill.

• I might offer, but I don't want him to assume that I'll pay for his food, or expect it- just as I wouldn't assume automatically that he was going to pay for mine. My preference on a first date is to split the check, unless things are already pretty serious by the time our first official date rolls around.

• The BS is strong on the girls side... It would be hell on earth if a guy tried to pull this shit in real dating. If he asked my ass out, he offers to pay the whole bill and I refuse it politely and gladly pay for my meal. This is how grown up men and women do it. If he demands to go dutch I will be the last time he will hear from me.

What is dutch?

@steven7890789 splitting the bill 50-50. People are splitting hairs here and also speaking of the second date or if they're living with each other we need to back up. If a guy asked me out, the first date I expect him to pay because I don't know him. And he's the one who asked me out If I decide I want to see him again and he asked me out I will insist on splitting the bill 50-50. But I will not go on a first date to Starbucks or McDonald's or some cheap ass place. Don't take me to a very expensive place but somewhere we can sit down and talk and act like adults. Now a lot depends on the expense of future dates. If I want to go to a place that's $400 for two people I'll ask him out and I won't expect them to pay a dime. I'm the one who asked him out, I'm the one who picked the expensive restaurant and the Broadway show.

That will wind up being 700 or $800. Before he says yes I know I'll immediately say, "I'm paying, no problem." If he asked me to this expensive evening, I will ask, "are you sure you can afford this because if you want we can go dutch.." There are no hard and fast rules. Life is a shade of 1 million grades and for guys or girls to get on their high horse and speaker who should absolutely pay for one thing or another is ridiculous.

• I'm more traditional, so I see the guy as taking more of a lead. So, if he's the one who asked me out and picked the restaurant, I expect him to pay. That being said, when the relationship progresses, I'll gladly pay 50% or pick up the entire tab (maybe even ask him out, time to time). But he's paying for the first date.

Are you actually traditional or just claim to be traditional but aren't because it benefits you, that you aren't paying for anything?

@steven7890789 I'm actually traditional. I want a guy to take the lead in the relationship and pursue me. But like I said, I'll split the bill and pay the whole thing a bit into the relationship.

@steven7890789 why you attack when she says she will pay 50% of the entire tab as the relationship progresses. You believe that by attacking her that makes you more correct? You need to see a proctologist and get the stick removed from your rectum

• Personally I would like the guy to offer to pay the whole bill, but I would insist on either paying my way or making it clear that I will pick up the next one (good way to bring up a second date if it's going well too). My current guy usually only lets me pay for our drinks or the tip, but I buy all the groceries for making him a home cooked meal. We figure it all balances out eventually.

• I wouldn't mind, i would prefer to be self sufficient.

BUT I feel like this needs to be discussed between the couple before the date happens.

I've never known if a guy wants to pay or not. Some act insulted when you offer to pay and others won't call you for a second date if you dont offer.

I feel like its a stupid reason to not go out with someone. And it could all be easily solved by just discussing it first instead of when the check comes.

• I prefer to go half. It's a FIRST date, meaning we're still feeling each other out. What if someone has a terrible time, and doesn't click with the other person, and then also has to pay for them? Not fair in my opinion.

• I would certainly pay for my half and do always offer to pay.
    However, for better or for worse, we live in a culture where it is customary for men to pay on the first date. I'm not saying I think this is right; it is just how it is. With all of that said, men need to think about what kind of message they could be sending if they don't pay. I know it sucks. But, if it's a common expectation, not fulfilling that expectation could make some women have a certain, possibly negative, perception of you. I wouldn't have a negative perception (we're equals, so why shouldn't we split it?), but I think some women would. Maybe those are just awful women that you shouldn't be dating.

Those girls that would aren't worth the guys time anyway.

• I wouldn't mind.. If he is cool with it then sure no biggy. It would either be that or half/half it.

• I really don't understand why it's such a big deal. If I invite him I pay for both of us and I'd not even mind paying for myself if he invites me. A date should be about much more than that.

• I don't want him to pay but I want him to insist on paying as an act of courtesy.
    If he asks me to pay I would see him as a cheap man and he won't get a 2nd date.
    That's how it works in my country...

• Wouldn't mind paying for his, but I still think the way to go is to split the bill, or pay for what you ordered.
    There is definitely no expectation for the man to pay for the bill at all.

if only you really meant this. We all know you answered in that manor because you want some points.

I meant 2 bobbys

@Bobbyhill1 yeah he's a little brutal sometimes, again, sorry!

• i usually never expect to have a guy pay for my meal unless im dating a guy 5+ years older than me. and he has a career when im only still a student in uni living off ramen and boiled eggs.

i have dated a guy two years younger than me before. i was 21 and he was 19. i paid for most of our dates because i had a job and he didn't. though after he got a job we started going 50/50

• No problem, I would pay for the first date.

• If he asked me out on a first date I'd expect him to pay as he asked me out but at the same time if he suggested going dutch I wouldn't kick up a fuss, if he said he forgot his wallet well that might be a red flag. Second date I usually buy thr dinner to prove a point that i can't be bought.

• He should pay for me. If he doesn't I'm not interested in a second date.
    I would never pay for him

I'm not ugly so I dont need to pay for a guy, and he should do what a gentleman does, which is pay for the lady he asks out on a date.

**Disclaimer: Not interested in entering any debates about my answer**

equality is great isn't it? ''Im not ugly, pay for my date because I have a vagina'' lol

hahahahah

If you want a traditional gentlemen then you should be a traditional lady otherwise you're a hypocrite.

• I don't let guys pay for me ever, and if we're getting along really well I wouldn't mind picking up the tab either! However, I would expect him to offer just to show that he came prepared.

• of course I wouldn't mind! why would I mind? I see no problem and nothing wrong in the girl paying for the date. there would be nothing wrong even if we split the bill..

• I never expected the guy to pay on the first date. I don't want him to. I'd rather us just split the bill.

• I'd either pay the whole thing myself or pay half. I think it's harsh to expect the guy to do it always.

Another thing I don't mind is taking turns. Or whoever asked whom out for the date or whoever planned it. Of course if you did this option, make sure you're taking turns planning the date and asking one another out because it would be unfair if only one person just asks and is the only one paying.

• Since I'm not rich, I don't think I can afford to always take the entire bill Everytime I go on dates. And I think some guys might feel emasculated if the girl pays for them so that's another reason to not do it. I am always willing to either split the Bill or pay for my own shit. Either way i don't expect him to pay for me. I'm not his daughter.

• More from Girls
    50