Would it be weird to call the girl home and cook for her on the first date?

As opposed to going out for dinner?

• Good idea. Cook at home.
  • No. Go out for dinner.

Most Helpful Girl

• One of my fondest memories of a first date was when a guy asked me to his house to cook for me.

There's something to be said about cooking. It's very personal and intimate. You make what you want, how you want it, and enjoy it in a much more comfortable environment. It's way cheaper than eating out, and you have something automatic to talk about: the meal! It shows some discipline, perfection, and the need to please. It's also a bit of a sign of what you're in for if you choose to be long-term. After all that, you're already happy and fed and sitting in their home with options to either stay and enjoy an evening in - or if you don't feel prepared to stay there is nothing wrong with saying that you've overstayed your welcome and will call it a night.

I've offered to cook for men in the past, and the few who accuse me of trying to act like a wife already was the first thing they said if they were spooked by the suggestion. To me, that sort of reaction was needed right away to clue me in to what sort of person I was dealing with. People who have known me my whole life know that I cook all the time for myself, my family, or when friends are over. Finding out how someone reacts to how you really are is important to know whether or not to pursue them any further.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, she might think you only want sex.

Had to learn that the hard way. Take her out for the first date and propose dinner at hone later on.

What Girls Said 14

• I never Refuse an Invite from a guy on a First Date if he Asks... To cook for me. I love it.
    Go ahead and Spread the Butter, it doesn't mean you have to Spread the Wealth, @Chief16. And believe me, she will Love you for it, be Impressed and it Could be its Weight in Gold in the end.
    Good luck. xx

• Doesn't necessarily have to be 'out for dinner' but I do think meeting outside of homes is a good idea for a first date, people may get the wrong idea.
    However, if you have already met/been friends with each other for a long time prior to this, I don't see much of a problem with meeting at home. I just think it looks better if you agree to both meet outside and do something sociable first :)

• Uh.. no? If she's already down to go on a date for you, cooking for her would be a good idea in my opinion. I would personally appreciate a guy putting in some actual effort versus just pulling out his credit card to treat me to dinner.

• If you don't know each other well then go out to dinner. If she does not know you well then she probably won't be comfortable with you being in her house alone with you or being in your house alone with you. It will make her uneasy and she will probably feel awkward about it. It is safer and more comfortable for everyone to just be in a normal public place. If it goes well then totally invite her over another time (not a booty call).

• It'd be pretty hard to cook for me unless you looked up some non-meat recipes. Mac and cheese from the box doesn't count! D:<

• Honestly if I have only met them once or twice before I wouldn't be comfortable with going to their house all by myself. So unless you already know her very well, public places are always better.

• Depends on how well you know her beforehand, I think. Some may feel uncomfortable going to an almost stranger's house and/or think you want sex right after (which you might, but still...). Some may think it's sweet that you'd offer to cook.

• You want to make your date comfortable for your first date and there are too many possibilities with her alone at your house. Save that date till she's more comfortable with you like the 4th or 5th date

• Women like to be taken out. That doesn't mean you can't cook for her another time. Just don't start off with it.

• i personally think, first date should be casual, no try hard, just relax, casual time to know each other. cook at home will give false impression that you're expecting more after dinner

• Neither, it's awkward. What if she hates your food or you hate the way she laughs and y'all have no way out without being rude.

• If she's meeting you for the first time you should meet somewhere public. I would not show up at a stranger's house.

• Sounds like an awesome idea.

• Bad idea. When a guy ask for diner at home it mean sex.

What Guys Said 6

• I think this really depends on each individual girl. Some might find that as a clear creep alert, others would think it weird but cute while others would appreciate it and think it really romantic n shit. Watch yourself.

• My only thing is a lot of girls might not be keen to be alone in a strangers house if there are later dates, cook for her then but for now, go out for dinner.

• Yes but that should be reserved for a girl you are confident will want to continue this relationship whether it be friendship, business or personal

• Depends on well you know each other.

• It's a bit creepy dude.

Save the cooking for her at home for the third date.

• It suggests you just want to fuck.