How long after you start to date someone would you say is a good time to get engaged?

me and my boyfriend have been together just about 6 years, we have a daughter and things are really good but every time I bring up marriage he says he's thinking about getting me a ring soon but then it never happens and frankly I'm tired of it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I met my ex wife on January 10, 1989, I went into the Air Force on Feb 14, 1989, I came home on Memorial day weekend and proposed (May 27, 1989). We were together 25 years and have 3 amazing boys. The divorce was her idea, I would never have wanted one. When you know the person is the right one, you just know. There will be no hesitation, no worries (at least about the person, there are always some worries). You won't be able to wait to spend the rest of your life together. We were young and did end up waiting 5 years to get married. I was 25, she was 22.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would sit down with him and have a good talk about this. Let him know how you feel about how he tells you he should get a ring, and then nothing happens. Let him know that you two have been together 6 years and have a beautiful daughter together. Let him know that it would mean so much to marry the man you love and get to celebrate that with friends and family.

It doesn't sound like he is opposed to marriage with you. It merely sounds he is just being lazy and not getting things going.

Let him know how important it is to you to get married. Hopefully he will see how much it means to you and he will pop the question soon!

What Guys Said 11

• Marriage is dangerous for Canadian men! I suspect that he is very much aware of the risks.

Read this. Do you want to put him through this?

canadiancrc.com/...ce_FRO-Paul_Donovan_London.aspx

Watch the video on this link. Canadian Men are getting abused and destroyed.

http://equalitycanada.com/mens-stories/

If you love him, DON'T marry him!

• My standard response to these type of questions is get engaged and/or married when you are ready, but after six years? Yeah on its long past time now

• He's afraid of marrying because in the case it doesn't work out he stands to lose it all. Many men are like this nowadays including myself. It doesn't mean he doesn't love you, he's just being smart.

he has nothing to lose lol I have all the money

Well no lol you don't get it. A marriage + divorce costs on average $30,000. I say divorce because the slight majority of marriages end in divorce. Since he has no money it's even worse for him because he would be financially obligated to you until the child turns 18, if a divorce occurs. You need to look at it from his perspective lol. This is why 75% of people between 18-34 are unmarried in America.

I'm not American, I would pay fully for a divorce if it was happening and I wouldn't want or expect anything from him

• Never. Marriage is pointless, and the worst mistake a man can make. Even worse than having children.

• Egads... you've got it all backwards. Really sad to create a family in this way.
    Just go down to the courthouse and get married already - raise your daughter in an intact family.

• 44 years.

• I won't do it again until 2 years after.

• Tf leave his ass with in 6-7 years u should have been planing your wedding.

• if u filed for divorce u will lose everything

• I would think within 2 years i would get a girl a ring if she was fine with it.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• You were supposed to be married before the daughter have a serious conversation with him because he's probably gonna drag out the engagement too.

I want a long engagement lol I don't think I will be married till I'm about 35 but I want to have a few years to save up

Just tell him you want it now and ask him why he's afraid of commitment

money

• There is not perfect time. It depends on many factors and situations.
    It could be 2 months or 2 years. As soon as I think I know the person enough and like them I would like to get engaged to them.

• i was engaged after 3 months of dating so it really depends on the couple

my first time around I was married within 3 months so I understand

• In your situation, a day before you got pregnant would've been best but the real answer is; when both people are sure of their love. I'm sorry to say this but it sounds like he isn't sure of his love.

trust me the pregnancy was not planned and we dint even know if we were going to keep her or put her up for adoption (he never wanted kids) and we had only been together just over a year when I got pregnant

maybe... hopefully...

Good luck sweetie. I'm going on three years myself...

• You make a decision. If you can live with never being married stay with him. Its good! But if you cannot, leave. Its ok to coparent. But if marriage is what you need in life, by 6 years he's unlikely to give it...

• Well, I think it's about damn time after 6 years. Personally, if I'm not asked in 2 years, I'll peace out.

• go shopping with him.