Can someone please explain to me the significance of talking to someone online, or what it means to the other person?

I'm kinda confused and unsure if I am not understanding this as others do. My question is, if I'm talking to someone online, and it's of the opposite sex, and they seem interested in me, and we talk for quite sometime (hours, months, whatever) ... What are we? I was always under the impression it's just chatting.. But I've gotten a lot of guys upset because they think we are more?

For example, this one guy was texting me and chatting on fb with me who I never met before but we went to school together. We never shared anything deep, but just common day to day things. We didn't text each other even every day, sometimes weeks would go by. Then he got all clingy on my Facebook and posted things on my wall like we were something, I asked him what was up, and he acted like we were practically dating. ... ? What? He ended up blocking me on Facebook when I told him he was just my friend.

Another guy, I met online. He messaged me a few times and expressed he wanted tO meet. But then he always had work and was traveling soon, so I said no biggy (I honestly didn't care). Now he's back, 4 months later, messaging me and saying how we should go out, I'll fall in love with him, and that when I move next year ill be closer to him, so that's a plus.

This happened a few other times too. I've always thought I was just being friendly (I don't sext; I never led them on; purely friendly convos here and there). What's up?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you really think about the situation as a whole, the answer becomes crystal clear.
    It is very obvious to me in the examples given. The males are socially inept. I do not mean they are anti-social, what I do mean is they can not function socially outside of media. For example, face to face or in a live group environment. And this is getting to be more of a problem as time goes on.

I am not suggesting these males are bad people, but am suggesting that they lack social skills such as respect and personal edicate.

This is why they act the way they do among other reasons.

Just my opinion

That's very possible, and probably accurate, but like with the guy I went to school with, I saw him at our school with others and he was perfectly social. He even had quite a few friends so that's why I thought I was just another friend...

Just because he was in a campus environment surrounded by his peers does not make him social. That keeps him protected. Why do you think people have so much trouble dating once they leave school or college? Think about it! Dating services would collapse if all people had the proper social skills.
      Just my opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I think guys have trouble understanding this. Online guys I mean, not normal guys. They seem to be shy guys who don't know how relationships work and are really naive about love and don't talk to many people.

I mean, if I'm not having sex with a guy, or if I can't even hold his hand at the very least, why would I consider him my boyfriend? And why would he believe that he is?

What Guys Said 2

• guys are naturally desperate to have a girlfriend, not with a girl who's just a friend, i dont understand why girls dont get that. so if a girl seems "useless" aka not a potential mate, we erase her from our lives. we dont want to waste our time. its just how it is.
    plus some guys who are players dont take a hint to stop when girls dont give a damn about us.

• You aren't dating unless you are actually physically going out with a person. You are basically penpals.

What Girls Said 1

• I get guys flirting with me all the time, although I'm just being nice and want to have a good time chatting. Never want to hurt anyone's feelings, but this inevitable gets awkward.