Do you think a long distance relationship can really work?

My current situation is im dating a guy in another state we only met once since then i haven't seen him in two months... its frustrating and what makes it worse i have people where i live that want me but i keep rejecting them for him... but give me your opinion guys do you think it can actually work? And why?

• Yeah, it work
  • No, it won't work
2mo Lol one thing i can say comes with a long distance relationship is a lot of masturbating... or its just only me I don't know i know it can't be

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it definitely can. It just requires a lot of commitment and communication. Of course, any relationship needs those things but especially when you're long-distance. People in long-distance relationships should also have a realistic goal and timeline in place for one person to move closer to the other person at some point.

What Guys Said 13

• "its frustrating"
    "what makes it worse"
    So the cons of LDRs.

-Who moves where after X many years?
    -Is the other person just in a low place?
    -You reject people for someone XX-XXXXX (miles/KM/metric bananas) away.
    -Only see each other X times a year.

Personally don't do them, it depends how far they live but, someone you're currently seeing 6 times or less a year doesn't sound like it fulfills needs.

In general LDRs don't work for many issues, not seeing the other person physically, limited contact, trust, arguments about who might move where.

If the distance is 1-3 hours ldrs might work out, anything more than that and they will usually end before anything serious/meeting up/moving happens. And if you're throwing away potential dates for them, it's pretty shitty.

• It can work but most of them don't work because they require a lot of love, patience, loyalty, and trust

• Honestly speaking no, it doesn't work.

• Yes, they can work but often don't last except under very rare circumstances. I personally carried on a long distance relationship that began in college and went on for a couple years until there was a tragic end. But even if there was no tragic end, the possibility for us to finally reunite as a couple was unlikely. We both had carriers that necessitated extensive travel making us least likely to ever share the same roof for any length of time.

Just my opinion

• That might be a little tough. If the distance is that far, then it can work if you're both willing to make it work and have patience.

I started seeing this girl who I'm not in a relationship with but she lives in the city without a car and I live in the suburbs with a car. We've had a gap between our first 2 dates but we're starting to see each other often.

It all varies and depends on different factors really.

• How can you live together when you can't learn to live apart and yes, you can make it work, there are even ways to see and talk to them these days, video calls and stuff like that. And unless it is a state too far off (you in east and him in west or vice versa), you can actually meet once a quarter? If you really love him, I don't understand what is so frustrating about rejecting people whom you want.

It's not im doing it for him... because i love him but its like im trying and he not really he barely call or text i told him i don't like that And he still doing it...

Well, ask him straight.

• It works if you wanted it to work.

• If you really love each other, it can work. Real love, not a teenage passion.

• It won't work - the odds are against it. Someone always underestimates the need for physical intimacy.

• No, it won't work

• You aren't dating unless you are actually physically going out with a person. You are basically penpals. You need to be around each other to determine if you are compatible,

• It depends.. is this going to be long distance forever, or is someone moving?

I believe long distance forever

Is that something you both want? To never be completely connected to the other? Because that is the only way it is going to work. You both have to be on the same page. If one side wants a real, physical and emotional relationship.. it is doomed..

Im on the emotional and physical side... but im trying but he barely texts or calls me so its like wtf

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 16

• LDR are One of the Hardest to Have and to Uphold of any, @Najie_TooSweet. I, myself, probably Know this Better than Anyone, hun.
    Back in 2011, a man from Egypt had Found me on Facebook and we had Started a Wild Whirl Wind Romance by Chance. After getting to Know him and his Family better on Skype, I then hopped Aboard and went Abroad, staying with them for 30 days. Things went so well that when Returning back home, I hopped Aboard again, where we ended up Tying the Knot. I resided there for awhile, Learning how to be a Muslim's wife.
    I am back in the States again, and with being Married to a Man where it is Not a Stone's Throw, like your Short Distance situation, we had some problems. He was More Giving, Dedicated and More of a Partner than I Ended up to be, and Along with me not Returning to be with him, due to the Conditions that have Worsened over there, I have not gone back.
    It takes Two Special people to Take the Time and Make the Effort to be in this relationship. If only One is Putting Team power into this, it can Grow and Go Dead like a Duck out of water.
    You need to Decide what it is you want to do. This, with your own Indecisiveness can cause Problems down a Path, where it can put a Monkey Wrench into everything.
    make Skype your best friend here, dear. It helps to Keep the Fizzle from Coming on, and a Lot Less... Masturbating.
    Good luck. xx

Thank you for the Like, hun, and Happy to share my own Experience First hand with a man. xx

Moving closer is of course the answer but First above all, it takes Two to Make the Effort. xx

• I never believed they work out in the end. People crave human touch and close intimacy with their partners. It becomes frustrating when you physically connect with your partner. It's very hard to maintain a LDR, and sometimes it works out. Most times, it doesn't.

• Ahahahah! Another state! Don't make me laugh, amigo.
    Two months...
    Tsk.
    I met my boyfriend online.
    He lives in another country.
    That doesn't speak English- ok thats a lie it's the second official language.
    Also another ethnicity. race. culture.
    My [area] country is full of white people, his is full of Asians. Well. Filipinos.
    We've been together for 1 year & 3 months.
    I cheated on him once too (ironically, with another person Online.) He seems pretty upset about that even though it was 6 months ago. -sigh-
    But I suppose I'm lucky he's too ugly for other girls to want him. : pp

Look, amigo, if Y'all get to talk everyday, then you're lucky. My boyfriend is too poor to own a phone. & too poor to regularly go to a computer shop. So I have to go months without even speaking with him. (thats what caused me to cheat > . >)

But he barely text or call me and he got a phone!!! In the beginning he called and text everyday now he call once every two weeks text here and there while u got dudes blowing up my phone begging me to be with them or to give up the cookies and im dubing them for him... like he better step his game up feel like he losing interest or not in love with no more he told me he still is but his actions show different

• I don't think it's fair to either one of you to be in a long distance relationship unless it's just for a short time. Having a relationship is more than just knowing who they say they are. It's also about physically knowing their mannerisms, their habits, etc... What if you've committed yourself and once you finally come together, (that is if you've both been faithful while apart) and you find out things that are a complete turn off. Then you've rejected others that were right there to get to know all of you. Doesn't mean you can't date someone long distance. But make it clear that a commitment is just not fair until you're ready to come together. But that's just my opinion. :)

• It can definitely work but it depends on the couple.

Can u still make it work if u haven't seen this person in two months and he barely texts or calls you? U gotta be the only the mostly always text him first

depends on why he doesn't text. Again it can work if both are willing to make it work

• If you truly care about them then yes and willing to put in what it takes to make it work.

I've been in a LDR for over 4 years now with a dude all the way across the Atlantic. For me he's worth all the wait in the end compared to any of the dudes I've been with in the past.

• I'm in LDR for almost 2 years, the longest I haven't met him was 6 months. It can work, but it require a goal - to stay together, to move in together or for my case, get married. if there's no goal for that, honestly, it's a waste of time involving feelings... so, need a goal

• yea but only if there's good communication

• It honestly depends if you're putting in time and effort and if you guys meet up in person for time to time.

• I couldn't do a long distance relationship. So, it won't work for me, but that doesn't mean it can't work for others. Talk it out with him and then try it out and see how you like it.

• It can be really hard, but the only things you need to ask yourself is:
    1. Do you truly like him and want to be with him?
    2. Do you see a possible future for the two of you?

If it's a no to just one of those questions, then no, it won't work.

• It can work and be really worth it if you're with the right person.

• You should get a hold of him and make it work fine time for both of you

• Unless one of you is willing to move in the near future it won't work

• Online LDR's rarely work. Believing in them is delusional.

• No, it can't especially if one of the both is a jealous type