Do you think couples of the same age work out in the long run?

well im 18 and so is my boyfriend. it seems normal to me, i've always dated guys my age or maybe a year older and nobody cared but now all of a sudden everyone (everyone older then me) is saying it won't work out because a guy should be at least 3 years older so that he matures faster and we'll always be on the same page. and also so that he can already accomplish a lot (like have a career and his own house) by the time we get married. and i've also heard that if we're the same age, when we get older, like 30-40, he'll think im too old and start checking out younger girls. what do you all think, is this all true or just a bunch of assumptions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol it's complete bullshit. I've always dated girls my age and never had issues like that. Being the same age actually helps because you don't have to worry about being in different points in your life where one person wants to settle down and one person wants to enjoy their life as much as they can. And do you really think its gonna make a difference to a 40 year old man whether you are 40 or 37 at that point? If he really is the type to check out younger girls then he's gonna do it either way, and you shouldn't marry guys like that anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• Going by statistics, marriages actually last longer if you're closer to age, little to no age gap.
    But you're way too young to be thinking about forever.

What Guys Said 18

• My wife is 6 months younger than I am. We met in 1967 and we've always been happy together since.

• If you like him just ignore your friends. It does take time to get a career and your own house but is that why you like a man? Do you only like a man because he will have a good job and a house?

Oh yeah the last thing you said about when he get's older he will start looking at younger girls. Wouldn't a guy 5 to 10 years older than you do that too? If you are 35 and your husband is 40 and he's the type of guy who will leave you for a younger girl he will do it. People are making assumptions but I think it would be better just to find a guy who won't go looking for younger girls when you get older.

Could you answer my question.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2112691-was-i-wrong-to-ask-for-the-money-back

• LOL those people saying "he can already accomplish a lot (like have a career and his own house) by the time we get married".
    Basically gotta find a guy who got everything done so she can jump onto his back and piggy back your way to the riches.

Makes me feel like those girls are only in it for the good times and once things get tough they'll abandon ship like rats. This makes me lose faith in humanity.

Amen.

Thats the truth. Plus with this gender pay gap being thrown about... (which is BS men work longer hours and tend to go for more high paying careers like engineering etc these reports that come out like the $0.85 to $1)... honestly why do women even care about the issue (even though there isn't one) when they end up going for the wealthier guys. Well I guess it's because the ones that can't get those men (aka fat ugly women or just bitchy/crap personality)... look to blame men.
      Just go to las vegas and see how many women are there compared to men. A huge amount of women loving the rich life and seeking men out there to pay for it and to hopefully be their husband.

They also expect men to pay for dates... i saw a woman throwing about that men should pay for all child expenses because the woman goes through giving birth... where money is... women follow. Only the decent or unattractive don't follow.

• Relationship wise you're worrying about the wrong thing. These older people should be telling you that 18 is kinda young to be worrying about marriage.

People change alot' from 18 to 25.

• Honestlt, guys my age that date girls younger than them are usually less mature than those girls. On the other hand guys that date girls similair age look a bit more serious.

• Age doesn't really make a person compatible alone just as being a different age doesn't mean they're not compatible.

• Statistically true. But we're all individuals.

• Yeah if couples take things slow. Give each other space. You can't go by what other people tell you. My aunt and uncle were together since teenagers to he passed away at age 67 due terminal cancer. So don't never go by what others do.

• I guess that's just one factor though

• Probably

• Similar experiences to each other and learning together l reAly helps I guess

• Assumptions

• People are sick
    You need to chill
    Don't know about anyone else
    But idc much about age

• girls do not mature faster then boys-they are simply more inquisitive.

• its easier i will say that

• men and women of any age will never work out. We were just meant to reproduce. that's all

• women ptefer an older man in my experience. I was 29 and my wife was 15 when I met her.

• My wife is 37 and I'm 26. Personally I have always preferred older women.

What Girls Said 12

• My husband is ten days younger than me and I love it this way. I find that we have more in common and it draws me closer to him. I feel like we are in the same mentality, we think a like and treat each other like equals. I wouldn't want it any other way. I have always been attracted only to guys my exact age. I don't want a guy who is younger or older than me. This is my preference. I do what makes me happy.

• If you love each other, he treats you right, and you are happy with him - who the hell cares if he's 18?

• Like they say, age ain't nothin' but a number. The key to a successful long-term relationship is being at the same stage of your life at the same time. My boyfriend is 4 years younger than me and it's never been a problem because we've always been on the same page/wanted the same things.

• I don't think there's any hard and fast rules for dating. It's a cliché but they say age is just a number and I think that's true. Its more about maturity levels, girls usually date older guys because girls mature faster so its usually a better match. But everyone's different. I've dated older guys and they've been so immature it just hasn't worked, I'm currently dating a guy 4 years younger than me and he's by far the most mature guy I've ever been with. Don't worry too much about the future, if you two are happy now then just keep doing what you're doing :)

• Those are a lot of assumptions and generalities.

• I think its bull it just depends on the guy honestly, i've dated guys 10 years older than me, and that one was just as immature as a high schooler

• It's not about age, it's about compatibility. Some people of the same age might not be compatible in the end, where some are. It's not about age, as it's a number. It is all about whether the two of you are on the same page.

• Of course, my parents are the same age and they're going strong.

• I think if it's meant to be it'll work out regardless of age

• I like older men. but that's just me. I kinda agree with your friends

• I don't think 2-3 years really matter.

• In most casesno they don't work. When there's an age gap the two people are at different stages in their lives. In time, it shows