Should I stop talking to a friend because my boyfriend doesn't like that we had history?

I had a fling with some guy, didn't last long wasn't serious and we agreed that we couldn't have a relationship, like it wouldn't work. So we are just friends. I'm seeing this guy now and he told me that he doesn't like that I talk to him, as after a while of nothing the friend popped up because he is struggling with stuff atm. But the boyfriend said he didn't want to tell me what to do.. I understand he maybe fearful and he said it's just he doesn't trust the friend, but we get along pretty well and surely if he wants me to stop talking to him, he doesn't trust me either? Any opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I never talk to any of the girls I've slept with now that I'm with my girlfriend, and she doesn't do it either out or respect. We trust each other but it helps when you know that the other person thinks that way and avoids contact with these people out of respect for you. I've had exes who've said that their exes stopped them from talking to guys and saying that they didn't trust them, that they were just friends with these other guys so there was no need for it, and I just thought I'd allow them to stay friends because I trusted them. Many of them betrayed my trust. Keeping contact/cutting them off are just actions that show where your loyalty lies. To me it was just a no brainer not to keep on talking to them. Which one of them do you care about more?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it’s the respectful thing to do. Expecting the new man in your life to be cool with the fact that you’re friendly with someone you used to possibly screw or wanted to be with would be really selfish and tacky on your part. People with pasts like that are more likely to cheat if alcohol or temporary loneliness is involved. If you’re still trying to build trust, then throwing in a shady situation and saying “TRUST ME.” is a really horrible idea.

What Guys Said 2

• I wouldn't want to date a girl who still hangs out with men she used to hookup with.

• there's trust and respect. You can't have it all.

Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. It depends what you want more.

What Girls Said 0