He wants to take me out for birthday drinks?

We were friends a long time ago and just recently ran into each other again. I keep bugging him on Facebook and we're having causal conversations on messenger. My birthday just passed and he's suddenly saying, "Let me take you out for a birthday drink when I get money soon" and "You always give great advice" & "You're such a good friend" Can any of this mean he's interested in dating, or is it all just friendly friend zone stuff?

What Guys Said 2

• It could be either although I don't usually go for a drink alone with a girl unless I'm interested in her

In all honesty it's easier to not beat around the bush and just ask him if he's interested

• Only one way to find out. It's heading in the right direction at least

What Girls Said 1

• Oo he called you 'a good friend'.. That's totally friend zoned.
    But you never know. It could be that he thinks you are a good friend and he wants to take it from there,
    At least he wants to hang out with you and seems like he enjoys your company very much. Go out with him and see how he treats you. Don't think too much for now.

When I say good friend that is not friend zoned. It actually means they are special, to me at least.

thanks hotdogg :)