Guys, would you date a girl who smokes?

I've smoked for years and I'm very well aware its bad for you but it's a nightmare to quit. I'm not a chainsmoker but I can probably have about 10 a day max if I'm out with friends or if I'm stressed.
I went on a date with a guy the other day, and it was going really well until I mentioned I smoked. He didn't seem to keen on it, and I haven't heard from him since. I guess I blew it, but at least I didn't lie. At the end of the day, I want to give up, but nothing has worked for me; I've tried e-cigs, hypnotherapy, counselling, patches you name it but nothing works.

Most Helpful Guy

• cold turkey only thing that works... and suffering... it is a drug... then never touch it again or you'll start up.

I would not sorry, my parents smoked in the house, its nasty and disgusting, their breath smells, didn't even like hugging my mom... gotta hold my breath.

Would you date a guy that smells terrible and when under stress has to run outside and hug a tree? I doubt it... its just screwed up. Its sad though, the companies prey on people and once you start it is hard to stop I hear.

You can do it, throw that stuff out, not becaue of guys, but because you don't need it. The bigger thing I'd bet is to figure out how you started... what were the emotions (stress, fear, shame, etc...) and counsel those emotions so that they lose their power over you. Then the bond is broken and you wan't need the drug. The other thought is to make it evil in your mind somehow... like when you think of smoking, think of something horrible... and how sick it makes people.

That's my theroy, not fact...

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been a smoker myself and I still do it at parties, but after being in a relationship with a smoker (after I quit) I can say I won't do it again. It's fine when you're outside but inside you can really smell how much their breath reeks, and you'll have to shower after every time you visit them because you smell like a bar. Also, coughing every 3 minutes is not sexy.

What Guys Said 30

• I'd really prefer not to, especially if her doctors are already attributing chronic illnesses to her smoking or they have told her she's at high risk for chronic smoking-related illnesses.

I watched my paternal great aunt get very sick from smoking. Plus, indoor smoking makes everything in your home smell like smoke. I borrowed a computer from her, and when I went to turn it on, the fan kicked out some smoke! In Southern California, most smokers are OUTdoor smokers, but I'd still not to date any smoker at all.

Other traits are more important to me, so if push comes to shove, I'll tolerate a woman's smoking but won't get started myself, no matter how head-over-heels I fall for her.

• It's only a deal breaker if she's doing nothing to stop her habit. I personally have bad habits but I'd give her time to control it. On the other hand if she refuses or can't do it. I guess we might have to break it off. But it's just me though.

• Smoking is and always has been an immediate deal-beaker for me.

• Try vaping. It got me off tobacco cigs after 40 years of smoking. Three years now. Wow, I can smell and taste everything! And not short of breath anymore - endurance went way up.
    Try the ego ones and keep trying flavors 'till you find something satisfying. I went through over a dozen 'till I found one that tasted just like a marlboro. :)

Smoking has gone way out of style. You can write-off likely 80% of potential dates if you smoke.

• Instant dealbreaker. No ifs.

And duh, obviosuly you are stressed when you don't give in to your addiction and once you smoke it gets better.

• unlikely, I don't like it at all. If she doesn't smoke much and tries to stop I might give it a try. But an active, regular smoker who doesn't wanna stop... nope

• I'd rather not.

• Nope I wouldn't

• Guys would rather obviously a non smoker than a smoker.
    However it all depends on the person. For me if there's everything i like about you then i would still date you no matter what , but then again some guys would consider it as a huge turn off , others wouldn't mind.

• I would NEVER date a girl who smokes.

• No.. Not really. Ever kissed someone who smokes? It's just. No.
    Good luck on giving up smoking. I know this guy around the neighborhood who died of lung cancer not so long ago because of smoking. I'd rather you give it up because it won't do you any good.

• I thought that was the definition of a chain smoker?

No I wouldn't.

• As long as she was willing to quit smoking with me

• no offense smoking makes the mouth stink and a kiss like that no thanks :(

• Nope.

• nurp

• Yeah. No big deal. I might share a puff with her sometimes to give her company.

• No. Too gross.

• If I like her, and can convince her to stop

• The most frequent reason why I don't want to date someone is because she smokes.

• Absolutely not.

• Prefer not to

• a 10, becomes a 1, if i see her smoking

• No, I wouldn't even breath the same air as her.

• No. I wouldn't even date a girl who vapes. Disgusting.

• she loses major points for it cuz it's gross and smells bad but if i like her enough, i guess so.

• Short answer: No

• Nope not a chance

• big minus point
    she would have to get very good grades at the areas to compensate this

• never in a million years. That for me is an instant boner killer. I find that habit disgusting in both genders. I don't consider women motherly quality either if she doesn't value her life. So never ever

What Girls Said 4

• My dad did laser therapy treatments, and he had been smoking since his early twenties into his fifties. It worked for him. Perhaps look into it? Smoking isn't stylish the way it used to be and tends to be a deal breaker for most people.

• I smoked for 15 years and quit using a vape. It was so much easier than I thought it would be. Plus, I was just ready to be done with it.

• I've never smoked , and I wouldn't date a guy who smoked. It's a deal- breaker for me

• I don't smoke. So, no, I would not date a guy that smokes.