Girls, do you allow your friends to influence you on who you date or during your relationships?

I've had some tough times before with this, where her friends got involved.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. A lot of my college friends didn't like my boyfriend. We were play fighting and he held my wrists a little too hard one time and bruised me (I bruise super easily) and ever since then they were obsessed with the idea that he liked to beat me :P They also generally just didn't like his personality. That made no difference to me - I knew that he'd never raised a hand to me like that or abused me in any way, we were genuinely playing around and we do that a lot still, and I liked his personality so I continued to date him.

I think that if my best friend (who is also his best friend outside of his brother) didn't like our relationship, then I would consider her opinion. She knows me very well and she wants what's best for me. She knows him very well and wants what's best for him. I believe her intentions are good and she is honest. If she didn't think we had a good relationship then that would matter to me because her opinion is very valuable. I may still consider dating him but I would definitely hesitate for a while and try to examine the situation properly.

Most Helpful Guy

• If any woman here says anything other than "If my friends don't like him it usually doesn't work out." They're a liar.

What Girls Said 15

• Yes definitely. Only my very best friends though. Because of the things we've gone through, what I've seen them go through, its so easy to become blinded in relationships or when you're utterly infatuated by someone. You completely ignore the red flags, even if they are so obvious.
    I was once with a guy who always got into fights with people, banned from all clubs, been arrested, knocked out a guy so he ended up in hospital. I still wanted to stay with him cause I thought "well he's never hit me or been violent with me so its fine". But my friends greatly opposed it and convinced me out. And I really don't blame them at all. They wanted what was best for me.
    As for my friends, boy the guys they've tried to get with, absolutely awful. And they only weren't able to sometimes because I literally pulled them back. And now they actually thank me for it after coming to the realisation about what an awful guy it was.
    The thing is that its easier to see things from the outside rather than when you are crazy about the person. So while we may not always pick out good people for ourselves, we can see when something is wrong when it comes to our friends, because we always want whats best for each other. So yeah I fully trust them in this, I don't trust anyone else's opinions though.

• I don't. If I let my friends influence my relationships, then I wouldn't be with my boyfriend right now. I understand friends looking out for each other in an emotionally or physically abusive relationships or if one is cheating on the other, that's completely normal. But for small little arguments that are forgotten within a few days then no, my friends don't influence that.

• It depends... My Friends here in France are very liberal and I'm traditional/ conservative so we have different types, I will not trust their taste because we have drastically different tastes in men, but I ask for their advice (I don't necessarily let them influence me).

• No, i don't at all. I'll listen to her opinion, but always go my own way. none of my friends can tell me what i feel for a guy

• Not really, I mean they have their opinions and I am happy to hear them, but I don't let what they say dictate my life, their entitled to say what they want, but it's ultimately my life and I control it, so I am therefore capable of making my own decisions.

• Psh. No.

• I respect their input but I make my own final decisions.

• No, no one makes my decision or changes my mind about someone. It's my job to learn about the person I'm with not theirs. They're welcome to their opinions but it's my decision.

• No, I better be on my own way because I am then on who determine my path for dating. However, when it comes to opinions, I would seek for them and collect them as much as I can and conclude them to find the right answer in relationship or dating.

• Nope i never let them. They try to convince me and say "date this , date that" and I am like "wth? this is MY choice!"

• No way.

The fact is im not one of those people that have their friends Group. Im a bit of a loner.

• I do want they're approval but even if they don't, I don't care, I like the guy that's all that matters

• No not really.

• Yes because I always take bad decision by myself so I follow what they said to me. I always ask them for advice, etc..

• Only one friends opinion matters to me. He's been my best friend for half my life so I trust him. He's only ever said anything when he really didn't feel right about someone. But besides him, no. Who I date is my business.

What Guys Said 3

• I would say most girls do, men are status symbols for women

• no but i do ask my friends and they ask their friends... etc when i wanna know a girls history, i always know someone who knows something about a particular girls, that way you make sure you're dating someone that you really wanna date.

• only dumb girls allow this to happen