Is it okay for a guy to live with his parents if houses are super expensive where I live?

I'm an accountant but to make good money it takes time to make it up the ladder so I can't afford a house as I only make 42k a year but is it unattractive? I'm trying my best to make it up the chains.

2mo thanks guys its making me feel better :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that as long as he wasn't just living with them and being a drain on their resources and he was doing something with his life (like working or going to university), there's no problem with that. It's understandable and quite responsible to know his limits :)

fair enough I mean I actually want to move out to live in another city since my city doesn't pay much for a good job

Most Helpful Guy

• It's fine man, you really don't need to explain yourself to people. Use this living arrangement is a means to filter out certain women. As you can see from a few of the female comments below it's a hard idea to grasp for some.

I moved in with my mom for a year when i was 30. The bare minimum amount of time to save enough to buy my house. For the most part women don't want to hear the explanation. All they hear is "I live with my mom..." they've already checked out.

The point is you're young, no kids (i assume), you're gainfully employed, you make decent money. You're doing better than most people.

What Girls Said 4

• My ex lived with his elderly parents because he was helping THEM out by paying rent, tending to the yard work, etc.

My point? There are many reasons someone could still be living at home, many of which are very valid and even noble.

So long as you are taking care of yourself and are a contributing member of society then I don't see any issue with it.

• nooo, you know what you're doing and wht you wanna do, and thats all that matters.

• Why does it have to be a house? Like why can't u just get an apartment tho?

Maybe how my family will look at me if I just purchased an apartment to grow my kids with, I know it shouldn't matter though

You have kids already then?
      I believe it's really better to live separate from your parents if you already have your own family. As long as the place where you live is in a good neighbourhood or district it couldn't matter less if it's an apartment or a house tbh..

sorry no not yet I was saying in the future haha

• Why do you need to be in a house, just get a flat or apartment

What Guys Said 4

• i think it's cool. i was making $70k a year for a while and lived with my dad for 3 years simply because it didn't make sense to go into early debt over a house and i didn't have the savings out of college for a down payment on a house

• I think that is fair enough - Houses are so expensive

• no its perfectly fine, we must adapt ourselves to the economy. if we can't afford a house so be it. people will understand.

• How much are you putting away monthly for a house?

1000 a month but the cost of living in Vancouver is one of the most expensive in the world with the lowest paying wages

Yea that is a good amount a month. To answer your original question now, no one should look down on you living home because you do have a good career and are saving to move out and onward. People shake their heads at the people who don't save a dime and live home thst go all out every weekend and live like their ballers. Your doing the right thing. definitely look at another city, I know accountants in the u. s do very well.